Head light relay mod write up....WOW what a difference - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Head light relay mod write up....WOW what a difference

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdGear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 09-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #91
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA View Post
Good to know, actual numbers are a lot more useful than theoretical numbers, thank you!
Actual numbers tend to be representative to mathematical numbers...

In the meantime, I decided to go for it:

All that was stopping me was my sheer laziness. My boredom got the best of me this morning. I had attempted to wire up the relays in series on Tuesday to run both high and low beams together, but that won't work with the factory high beam switch. This works flawlessly. Took me all of 10 minutes...

It also appears that I need more relays

I didn't see the need to upgrade the wiring for the headlights. The supplied wire on my Jeep was in good condition and can handle the current without issue. The issue is that the wiring runs all over the place before it finally runs to the lights themselves, so therefore the voltage drop between the battery and the lights. The relays cut out a lot of that.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #92
sdotcarter
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ill be doing mine this after noon. With sealed headlights are there any local upgrade I can do? Say better lights at a parts store, or can you just order h4's online?
sdotcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 11:14 AM   #93
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
Actual numbers tend to be representative to mathematical numbers...
Tend is not close enough for me, I'd rather measure them and compare to my notes rather than go by the formula alone.

Out of curiosity, what bulbs/housings are you running? with mine on high there's quite a lot of heat in front of the jeep, running both hi/lo simultaneously seems like there'd be excessive heat coming from the lights
[QUOTE=doublins;15539665]I always get people coming over and saying things like "I wish I knew how to do that," etc- but they don't realize- at some point I didn't know how to do it either- I had to figure it out.[/QUOTE]
HurricaneRZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #94
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

100% agree Xpress. The numbers do have to reflect. If they don't then you have real big problems! Glad to see it's working out. I cant see the pics I will have to look at home.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #95
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdotcarter View Post
Ill be doing mine this after noon. With sealed headlights are there any local upgrade I can do? Say better lights at a parts store, or can you just order h4's online?
With the OEM style sealed lights this mod is the best you can do but if you look at any of the parts stores on-line they all have some sort of replacement assy with H4's and HID's. It's all a matter of what you want and how much $$ you want to spend.

To add to the post, I was able to find new sockets for the back of the headlights from Autozone and will wire them up when I fanally get to this mod.
Unread 09-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #96
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Out of curiosity, what bulbs/housings are you running? with mine on high there's quite a lot of heat in front of the jeep, running both hi/lo simultaneously seems like there'd be excessive heat coming from the lights
Sylvania sealed beams. This isn't simultaneous high/low, it's just high or low. I have 100 watt driving lights to assist with high beams

[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Unread 09-13-2012, 12:30 PM   #97
robman8
1997 TJ Wrangler 

For future reference there are relay holders that are water resistant. If you want a truely weather resistant solution you should use N-MOS Fets, which you can place in a box with potting compound.
robman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #98
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I had attempted to wire up the relays in series on Tuesday to run both high and low beams together, but that won't work with the factory high beam switch.
Quote:
Sylvania sealed beams. This isn't simultaneous high/low, it's just high or low. I have 100 watt driving lights to assist with high beams
I guess the phrasing there confused me...

I have yet to make use of my aux lights since upgrading the bulbs in my housings. I still keep 'em there just in case
[QUOTE=doublins;15539665]I always get people coming over and saying things like "I wish I knew how to do that," etc- but they don't realize- at some point I didn't know how to do it either- I had to figure it out.[/QUOTE]
Unread 09-13-2012, 01:33 PM   #99
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robman8
For future reference there are relay holders that are water resistant. If you want a truely weather resistant solution you should use N-MOS Fets, which you can place in a box with potting compound.
Please elaborate.
Unread 09-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #100
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I guess the phrasing there confused me...

I have yet to make use of my aux lights since upgrading the bulbs in my housings. I still keep 'em there just in case
I had "attempted" to wire up the headlights so high and low would come on with the high beams, but it failed. Had to wire them conventionally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg26 View Post
Please elaborate.
I believe he is talking about the socket that the relay plugs into..

Unread 09-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #101
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I had "attempted" to wire up the headlights so high and low would come on with the high beams, but it failed. Had to wire them conventionally.
So both filaments in the bulbs shine at the same time when you hit Hi-beams?

Have you tried wiring your aux lights so they're relayed into your high beam instead? I have mine like that...

Unless I'm still not getting what you said
Unread 09-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #102
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So both filaments in the bulbs shine at the same time when you hit Hi-beams?
Correct. However, it will take a lot of re-wiring to get it to function properly. There's honestly no point, especially if you have 100w Driving Lights to assist with high beams.

Quote:
Have you tried wiring your aux lights so they're relayed into your high beam instead? I have mine like that...
That's how they've been wired for the past few months... Precisely as this diagram demonstrates:

Unread 09-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #103
mudsweatNgearz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robman8 View Post
Think Weatherpack
Unread 09-13-2012, 06:08 PM   #104
mudsweatNgearz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdotcarter View Post
I got these and I love em. They look good too!
http://www.quadratec.com/products/97009_501_07.htm
Unread 09-13-2012, 06:22 PM   #105
AZdEvilYJ
Garage Junkie

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudsweatNgearz

I got these and I love em. They look good too!
http://www.quadratec.com/products/97009_501_07.htm
Hows the light control w those? I got the autopal e-codes off fleabay and I love em. The output is awesome, but more importantly the lines are crisp. No 'lost light"

My Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...nally-1575209/
AZdEvilYJ is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical , h4 , head light , headlight upgrade , relay

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.