Head light relay mod write up....WOW what a difference - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Head light relay mod write up....WOW what a difference

Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 09-11-2012, 03:22 AM   #76
Hard_oNe
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Great writeup. My next to-do. First order the white face gauges.

Thanks for the reminder to buy the needle paint. Can you get any cheaper than $2.50? Bought it from HiPoParts.com

Hard_oNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 04:57 AM   #77
mudsweatNgearz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard_oNe View Post
Great writeup. My next to-do. First order the white face gauges.

Thanks for the reminder to buy the needle paint. Can you get any cheaper than $2.50? Bought it from HiPoParts.com
$2.50 is pretty good.
Unread 09-11-2012, 04:59 AM   #78
mudsweatNgearz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_in_rc View Post
Thank you very much mudsweatNgearz, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Now on to a question, why the use of 10g wire? And why not use 14g wire?
Thanks everyone!
You could probably use 14 awg and get by. I recommend 10 or 12 awg to be safe.
Unread 09-11-2012, 09:18 AM   #79
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Here is a wiring refrence for current rating. Great refrence material.
The number where they cross is the max distance in feet you can run at that many amps.
328825_image0.png  
bg_square.gif

Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 09:31 AM   #80
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Very nice chart, now we need to know how many amps the lights really pull both low and high beams.
I don't know if my VOM will do that but I will see if we have a clamp on meter at work I can borrow.
Great info Que89YJ !!
Unread 09-11-2012, 09:51 AM   #81
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Very nice chart, now we need to know how many amps the lights really pull both low and high beams.
I don't know if my VOM will do that but I will see if we have a clamp on meter at work I can borrow.
Great info Que89YJ !!
wouldn't it be the wattage of the lights divided by the voltage they run on?

So for one bulb,
55watt / 12v = ~4.58 amps

meaning two bulbs @ 55watts should be drawing ~9.16 amps from the battery/alternator ( I understand this is not counting voltage drop at the lights themselves and a buttload of other variables that alter the output).

Or did I just type nonsense and need to be quiet until I get my cup of coffee ?
[QUOTE=doublins;15539665]I always get people coming over and saying things like "I wish I knew how to do that," etc- but they don't realize- at some point I didn't know how to do it either- I had to figure it out.[/QUOTE]
HurricaneRZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #82
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA View Post

So for one bulb,

meaning two bulbs @ 55watts should be drawing ~9.16 amps from the battery/alternator ( I understand this is not counting voltage drop at the lights themselves and a buttload of other variables that alter the output).

Nope, you made perfect sence and I thank you!
Unread 09-12-2012, 09:14 PM   #83
parcours
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Tag
parcours is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 09:26 PM   #84
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Nope, you made perfect sence and I thank you!
No problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcours View Post
Tag
Like the thread tag? There weren't any, I added a couple though...
[QUOTE=doublins;15539665]I always get people coming over and saying things like "I wish I knew how to do that," etc- but they don't realize- at some point I didn't know how to do it either- I had to figure it out.[/QUOTE]
Unread 09-12-2012, 09:41 PM   #85
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA View Post

So for one bulb,

12 volts is an inaccurate number, considering the system generally runs around 13.6-13.8v with all of the lights on. Whenever doing load calculations for lights, I always use 13.6 volts as my baseline voltage.

So,

55w / 13.6v = 4.04a, or basically around 8 amps for both lights, if they are infact running at 13.6 volts. Basically meaning the current load will go down with this wiring upgrade.
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 09:58 PM   #86
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
12 volts is an inaccurate number, considering the system generally runs around 13.6-13.8v with all of the lights on. Whenever doing load calculations for lights, I always use 13.6 volts as my baseline voltage.

So,

55w / 13.6v = 4.04a, or basically around 8 amps for both lights, if they are infact running at 13.6 volts. Basically meaning the current load will go down with this wiring upgrade.
Not an inaccurate number per se, but I see what you're getting at. Before I upgraded my grounds and alternator cables I hooked up the power the lights onto the side post of the battery because of the flickering, I get around 12-13v coming from the side posts so I just went for 12v since thats about where it stays most of the time. I didn't take into account lights running off of the top posts hooked up to the pos from the alternator and the post from the battery simultaneously
Unread 09-12-2012, 10:41 PM   #87
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well like I said, you should always use 13.6V as your baseline number. Your battery will not charge if the alternator is pumping out anything less than about 12.6V, and they generally peak around 14.8-15V.
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 10:50 PM   #88
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
Well like I said, you should always use 13.6V as your baseline number. Your battery will not charge if the alternator is pumping out anything less than about 12.6V, and they generally peak around 14.8-15V.
I'll have to check the voltage output on the side posts of the battery tomorrow with the new voltmeter I got today (the other one told me I had 999v off the headlight then promptly died) while it's running, but it may still be in the 12v for anyone running lights on the side posts (be they head lights or auxiliary).
Honestly, I would be disappointed if they are at 12v at the side posts w/ motor running. It just means I have to move the lights back up to the top posts for slightly better output and leave the side posts for the amp and/or air compressor...
Unread 09-13-2012, 06:14 AM   #89
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The voltage drop across the wiring from the harness is significant too. The whole point to the mod is to eliminate the loss from the switch contact and the wiring. The switch losses are by no means small. The reason the switches fail is because the resistance goes up significantly as the contacts wear and get dirty. When the resistance goes up the voltage drop goes up across the switch and causes it to fail. Stock would have a couple ohms resistance through the system. The relay makes a significant difference in reducing the losses from the resistance. 12 guage is good enough with the distance from the relay being only a few feet with the stock lights. The current draw is about 12 amps if I remember correctly for the low beams amd close to 20 amps for the high. It's been a long time since I measured it. The bottom line is eliminating that voltage drop.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 08:11 AM   #90
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
The voltage drop across the wiring from the harness is significant too. The whole point to the mod is to eliminate the loss from the switch contact and the wiring. The switch losses are by no means small. The reason the switches fail is because the resistance goes up significantly as the contacts wear and get dirty. When the resistance goes up the voltage drop goes up across the switch and causes it to fail. Stock would have a couple ohms resistance through the system. The relay makes a significant difference in reducing the losses from the resistance. 12 guage is good enough with the distance from the relay being only a few feet with the stock lights. The current draw is about 12 amps if I remember correctly for the low beams amd close to 20 amps for the high. It's been a long time since I measured it. The bottom line is eliminating that voltage drop.
Good to know, actual numbers are a lot more useful than theoretical numbers, thank you!

Tags
electrical , h4 , head light , headlight upgrade , relay

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.