Head light relay mod write up....WOW what a difference - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Head light relay mod write up....WOW what a difference

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 09-09-2012, 08:32 AM   #61
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybob67 View Post
After looking at my wiring (94YJ) It seems adequate for the amperage draw of a 55 watt bulb. Is this mod for an earlier model?
Nope, it even works in TJs too. The keyword is "adequate", which could also be said to be "bare minimum" .

The cap is 55watts, but the 55watt bulb does not get the power as effectively as it should. This relay upgrade helps just give it a but more juice. If you really want to open up the full potential of this modification, you could pick up an E-code H4 conversion and run higher wattage bulbs.

I run the Autopal H4 conversion with what I believe are 80/85watt bulbs. The low beam is just fantastic and I love the cut-off e-code headlamps require that the DOT do not, afterall blinding people is a

[QUOTE=doublins;15539665]I always get people coming over and saying things like "I wish I knew how to do that," etc- but they don't realize- at some point I didn't know how to do it either- I had to figure it out.[/QUOTE]
HurricaneRZA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2012, 08:48 AM   #62
mudsweatNgearz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybob67 View Post
After looking at my wiring (94YJ) It seems adequate for the amperage draw of a 55 watt bulb. Is this mod for an earlier model?
The thing you need to remember is that you have two 55 watt bulbs and if it is high beam now it is 2 60 watt. The factory switch is bareley able to handle that kind of current and the length of wire needed to go to the lights begins to see excess resistance hence voltage drop.
Unread 09-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #63
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudsweatNgearz

The thing you need to remember is that you have two 55 watt bulbs and if it is high beam now it is 2 60 watt. The factory switch is bareley able to handle that kind of current and the length of wire needed to go to the lights begins to see excess resistance hence voltage drop.
Which is why your lights are dim and the factory switch burns out causing lights to flicker and shut off when using high and sometimes low. I was driving home in the mud and rain last winter and my lights went out. Scary. Changed the switch soon after and its been fixed. Now I'm going to do this mod to brighten up my headlamps which are already decently bright because they are new.
Unread 09-09-2012, 11:03 AM   #64
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post
Which is why your lights are dim and the factory switch burns out causing lights to flicker and shut off when using high and sometimes low. I was driving home in the mud and rain last winter and my lights went out. Scary. Changed the switch soon after and its been fixed. Now I'm going to do this mod to brighten up my headlamps which are already decently bright because they are new.
That happen to Billy is his YJ too, he took a video of the lights turning off then on then off then on. When the system gets too hot (small wires, long distances and drawing a lot of power like High beams could) they sometimes just shut off until they cool down
[QUOTE=doublins;15539665]I always get people coming over and saying things like "I wish I knew how to do that," etc- but they don't realize- at some point I didn't know how to do it either- I had to figure it out.[/QUOTE]
HurricaneRZA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #65
mudsweatNgearz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA View Post
That happen to Billy is his YJ too, he took a video of the lights turning off then on then off then on. When the system gets too hot (small wires, long distances and drawing a lot of power like High beams could) they sometimes just shut off until they cool down
My high beams were doing this exact same thing when I bought it from the PO. I changed out the switch pronto and that fixed it but that is a temp fix in my opinion. Then after some reading on here and other sites I got edumacated!
Unread 09-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #66
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

OK everyone I went out Friday night and took my VOM to measure the voltages and here is what I got:
Stock low beams- measured at the headlight connector on the passanger side.
Battery voltage- 12.38 VDC
At the headlight- 11.32 VDC
For a loss of 1.06 VDC

Using a 14g jumper from the battery to the headlight.
battery voltage- 12.55 VDC
At the headlight- 12.32 VDC
For a loss of ONLY 0.23 VDC

I did this just after sunset and had both lights pointed at the garage door and the difference was noticeable.

Well today I went to Autozone to get the parts and they had no idea how to find a relay like the OP used, go figure.
So can anybody pass along a part number for this kind of relay that you cam mount on the firewall etc?

TIA everyone!
Unread 09-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #67
mudsweatNgearz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_in_rc View Post
OK everyone I went out Friday night and took my VOM to measure the voltages and here is what I got:
Stock low beams- measured at the headlight connector on the passanger side.
Battery voltage- 12.38 VDC
At the headlight- 11.32 VDC
For a loss of 1.06 VDC

Using a 14g jumper from the battery to the headlight.
battery voltage- 12.55 VDC
At the headlight- 12.32 VDC
For a loss of ONLY 0.23 VDC

I did this just after sunset and had both lights pointed at the garage door and the difference was noticeable.

Well today I went to Autozone to get the parts and they had no idea how to find a relay like the OP used, go figure.
So can anybody pass along a part number for this kind of relay that you cam mount on the firewall etc?

TIA everyone!
Here ya go. They are all over ebay way cheaper than the auto parts store will ever have them. $7 shipped!..much bigger selection as well. The parts stores will charge you this much likely for one relay and no socket. This listing is for two relays with sockets and free ship.....I bought a set of 5 relays with metal mount tabs and interlocking sockets all for like $12 shipped!!....I love ebay!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PACK-Car-Au...item3cca843f62

These even have the sockets that will connect them to each other (interlocking). I never could find any relay that was factory wired with 12 awg but it is not hard to do so I just did it myself.

Unread 09-09-2012, 06:00 PM   #68
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Hahahah, I just bid on that about 5 minutes ago! Hahaha
USMCBuckWild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #69
mudsweatNgearz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCBuckWild View Post
Hahahah, I just bid on that about 5 minutes ago! Hahaha
HAHA....my bad, I was thinking that was a BIN. Oh well look around you can prolly find the same deal as a Buy it now.

Here is a better deal..metal mounting tabs. This IS Buy It Now!!!!!. Plus you have spare relays for future modz.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT5-Car-Tru...bd49b0&vxp=mtr
Unread 09-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #70
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

You can find packs of five with sockets on amazon although they all seem to be cheap, from the reviews anyway. But I guess that's what you get for 7 bucks. A lot of them said that the wiring was wrong, they used 18ga instead of 12/14.

Edit:
http://www.amazon.com/Pack-Relay-Har...s=30+amp+relay

http://www.amazon.com/IMC-Audio-Rela...s=30+amp+relay

http://www.amazon.com/Pack-Relay-Har...s=30+amp+relay

http://www.amazon.com/Relay-Harness-...s=30+amp+relay
Unread 09-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #71
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Great, now I feel like an idiot for only buying 2!

Hahaha, oh well, guess I can pick up some more in the future for fog lights and back up lights.
USMCBuckWild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2012, 06:53 PM   #72
mudsweatNgearz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCBuckWild View Post
Great, now I feel like an idiot for only buying 2!

Hahaha, oh well, guess I can pick up some more in the future for fog lights and back up lights.
HAHA....don't feel bad, first relay I bought was a cheapo at the parts store for like $7!!
Unread 09-09-2012, 10:46 PM   #73
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Is there such thing as a Double Pole Single Throw relay that used two inputs, the double pole, to activate only one single output instead of one pole for one throw? I've been searching for a while put haven't found anything. My intention is to use a relay for one or two sets of lights each(that part doesn't really matter right now) and to have each relay operated by a single switch except for one master switch that can turn all lights on at the same time if needed(highly unlikely but as of right now it seems like a real good idea) and override the single switch.
Excuse my poor example. Paint and I don't get along well. Lol. I also apologize if this is shouldn't be asked here. I figured it might help someone down the road. OP I will delete it if you like, just shoot me a PM

Edit: I found this
http://www.waytekwire.com/item/75532...L-INPUT-RELAY/

But it's 50 bucks and only 15 amps. What kinda crap is that.
Unread 09-10-2012, 08:13 AM   #74
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudsweatNgearz View Post
Here ya go. They are all over ebay way cheaper than the auto parts store will ever have them. $7 shipped!..much bigger selection as well. The parts stores will charge you this much likely for one relay and no socket. This listing is for two relays with sockets and free ship.....I bought a set of 5 relays with metal mount tabs and interlocking sockets all for like $12 shipped!!....I love ebay!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PACK-Car-Au...item3cca843f62

These even have the sockets that will connect them to each other (interlocking). I never could find any relay that was factory wired with 12 awg but it is not hard to do so I just did it myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudsweatNgearz View Post
HAHA....my bad, I was thinking that was a BIN. Oh well look around you can prolly find the same deal as a Buy it now.

Here is a better deal..metal mounting tabs. This IS Buy It Now!!!!!. Plus you have spare relays for future modz.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT5-Car-Tru...bd49b0&vxp=mtr

Thank you very much mudsweatNgearz, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Now on to a question, why the use of 10g wire? And why not use 14g wire?
Thanks everyone!
Unread 09-10-2012, 07:47 PM   #75
honda250ex
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The headlights aren't producing a yellow out put no more... Nice write up!

Tags
electrical , h4 , head light , headlight upgrade , relay

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.