Head light relay mod write up....WOW what a difference - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Head light relay mod write up....WOW what a difference

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 09-07-2012, 10:28 AM   #46
jimmybob67
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmanman

Thanks for the info!
I'm going to order it today. It looks great and when I'm driving around I really can't see my gauges to well, so I'm looking forward to getting the kit.
Did you have to use the install kit?

Unread 09-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #47
mudsweatNgearz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdotcarter View Post
I called the parts store and they only have one 12v 30 amp relay. Would this be an item radioshack would carry ya think?
Definately radio shack should have em. What I did was do a little shopping on the net and ebay and you can get half a dozen or so for like 10 or 15 dollars (you will pay that for 2 of em at radio shack). Once you start using relays you will like em so much that you will want more anyway so just go ahead and get multiples.

I really do recommend using female sockets with the relays. Or better yet get a relay/fuse power center from the boneyard and do it right....be done with it!

Unread 09-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #48
mudsweatNgearz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybob67 View Post
Naa, I just used some soapy water in a squirt bottle. A credit card or some other plastic thing will work to smooth the bubbles out.
Unread 09-07-2012, 10:02 PM   #49
cycleguy04

My TJ lights are looking pretty dim. You've got me wondering if this upgrade will work on a TJ. I'll check the wire gage when I get home.

[COLOR="White"]'91 Ranger XLT 2WD - 4.0 V6, A4"hell"D, contemplating twin turbo 5.3[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]'79 C10 Big Ten 2WD - 350, TH350, contemplating rebuilding to 355ci with supercharger and programmable EFI[/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]'12 Subaru Forester (AKA: Arctic Cat) - 2.5, non-CVT, wife's, still begging her to let me get an exhaust system[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Blue"]'01 SV650 - snorkelectomy, ebay slip-on, cam swap and re-jet in the near future [/COLOR][/FONT]
cycleguy04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2012, 01:03 AM   #50
1sik78cj7
1978 CJ7 

Gotta try this. I never understood what relays do!
Unread 09-08-2012, 02:27 PM   #51
evanjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sik78cj7
Gotta try this. I never understood what relays do!
Pretty much like a circuit breaker
evanjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2012, 02:33 PM   #52
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I used this relay mod in conjunction with a couple spare relays so now my KC pencil beams come on with my hi-beams. Great for throwing a lot of lights with only one switch, and for shutting them all off (in the event there's on coming traffic or you just want low-beam).
[QUOTE=doublins;15539665]I always get people coming over and saying things like "I wish I knew how to do that," etc- but they don't realize- at some point I didn't know how to do it either- I had to figure it out.[/QUOTE]
HurricaneRZA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #53
TheSmanman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybob67 View Post
No, waiting for it to come in the mail. I didn't order the install kit as it's just a small spray bottle of soapy water and a small squeegee. Simple enough to get this stuff around the house.
TheSmanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2012, 03:52 PM   #54
1sik78cj7
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanjeep View Post
Pretty much like a circuit breaker
I thought that was what an in-line fuse was for.
Unread 09-08-2012, 05:41 PM   #55
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sik78cj7 View Post
Yes, but this is also like an automatic switch...

From my understanding of relays. It piggybacks the stock system in a sense.

Stock system:
Flip the switch, 100% power goes through the switch to the lights and through all the long lines of thin cable in between.

Relay system:
Flip the switch, just a trickle of power goes through the switch and stock wires to trigger the relays. The relays flip a switch internally and 100% of the power goes through that with shorter wire (and hopefully thicker), meaning it has a short journey from the battery straight to the lights.

The shorter/thicker wires mean the power can flow through with a lot less resistance, and the lights can pull as much power as they can handle. Thus making them far more effective at doing their job and it takes the strain off of the stock system.
[QUOTE=doublins;15539665]I always get people coming over and saying things like "I wish I knew how to do that," etc- but they don't realize- at some point I didn't know how to do it either- I had to figure it out.[/QUOTE]
Unread 09-08-2012, 10:58 PM   #56
1sik78cj7
1978 CJ7 

Thanks Hurricane! You explained that really well. It all makes perfect sense now.
Unread 09-08-2012, 11:04 PM   #57
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks Hurricane! You explained that really well. It all makes perfect sense now.
No problem, that's just how I learned how they work If it's wrong someone else can chime in...
Unread 09-09-2012, 06:14 AM   #58
mudsweatNgearz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
A relay WILL NOT take the place of an inline fuse. You will still need an inline fuse along with the relay. The relay uses two entirely seperate and independant circuits.
The switching circuit (to activate the relay) requires very little current, a 5 amp fuse is plenty for this. When source power is provided to this circuit it will activate an electromagnet (coil) which will pull a gate toward it (but never touch it) to make contact for the high current circuit and in turn provide source power to whatever you are powering. For the high current circuit you will need to fuse rated for whatever amperage your load will require.

The thing to remember is that they are two seperate circuits. At first relays may seem to be some mysterious little black box that defies understanding. In reality relays are beutifully simple and perform very important jobs. If you are going to add or modify any electrical components on your rig it will pay you handsomely to take a little time and effort on your part to get a grip on understanding relays. There is a treasure trove of information at your fingertips and everything you ever wanted to know about relays can be found in the Google search bar.

For a good basic understanding go here. http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/hweb2.pdf
Unread 09-09-2012, 08:22 AM   #59
jimmybob67
1994 YJ Wrangler 

After looking at my wiring (94YJ) It seems adequate for the amperage draw of a 55 watt bulb. Is this mod for an earlier model?
jimmybob67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2012, 08:41 AM   #60
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I am so doing this.

Great write up. Thanks!
USMCBuckWild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
electrical , h4 , head light , headlight upgrade , relay

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.