Head light relay mod write up....WOW what a difference - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Head light relay mod write up....WOW what a difference

Gear Installs at CCOR SpecialNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-05-2012, 08:32 AM   #31
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Very nice, I too will be doing this mod after I use some jumpers for a "test" to see how much better the lights are.
It should be just as drastic as yours, can't wait.

Unread 09-05-2012, 12:54 PM   #32
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_in_rc View Post
Very nice, I too will be doing this mod after I use some jumpers for a "test" to see how much better the lights are.
It should be just as drastic as yours, can't wait.
jumpers may havr voltage drop of their own.

you could run a 12 ga wire direc to the bul (also be sure the bulb ground is good) . you can also read voltage drop (under load) from hot terminal on battery and from ground side of battery to ground side of bulb. This will show how much power is being lost.

[I posted this reply on a tablet. Sorry about the sucky spelling. Looking at it now, I'm embarassed ]

Last edited by jay-h; 09-05-2012 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: crappy touch screen typing
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #33
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, way more info than I was looking for but thanks! I just want to jumper one light at night against my garage door to compare them side by side. I subscribe to the KISS method and I like to see how it will/will not work before jumping into things.

I really like your suggestion of measuring the voltage drop! THANKS!
Unread 09-06-2012, 09:16 PM   #34
evanjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Did you keep the same wires from the switch that dims/bright to the relay and just wire them to the relay? And power come from the battery to the relays to the lights bigger wires= more power to lights? Is that right. Im trying to figure it out lol
evanjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2012, 10:47 PM   #35
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanjeep
Did you keep the same wires from the switch that dims/bright to the relay and just wire them to the relay? And power come from the battery to the relays to the lights bigger wires= more power to lights? Is that right. Im trying to figure it out lol
Got it right exactly. There is a wire for low and hi beams. Those two go to a relay each which then goes to each light. One relay powers low and one relay power high.
Unread 09-06-2012, 10:51 PM   #36
evanjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr

Got it right exactly. There is a wire for low and hi beams. Those two go to a relay each which then goes to each light. One relay powers low and one relay power high.
So use the stock wire from what you dim in the jeep to the relay then from relay 12 gauge to the light same as bright? All is gonna be 12 gauge except for control wires? That's what im trying to figure out
Unread 09-06-2012, 11:58 PM   #37
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanjeep

So use the stock wire from what you dim in the jeep to the relay then from relay 12 gauge to the light same as bright? All is gonna be 12 gauge except for control wires? That's what im trying to figure out
The stock wires will activate the relays. One will turn on a relay when you turn on the headlights and the other will turn on the relay for the brights when you switch them on in the cab. Yes. It's all 12ga wire. You'll need enough length to go from the battery to the relay, from the relay to the light and ground wires too.
Unread 09-07-2012, 12:06 AM   #38
evanjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr

The stock wires will activate the relays. One will turn on a relay when you turn on the headlights and the other will turn on the relay for the brights when you switch them on in the cab. Yes. It's all 12ga wire. You'll need enough length to go from the battery to the relay, from the relay to the light and ground wires too.
That's what i needed to know. Should be a piece of cake then
Unread 09-07-2012, 12:37 AM   #39
AZdEvilYJ
Garage Junkie

1995 YJ Wrangler 

nice write up!

My Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...nally-1575209/
AZdEvilYJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2012, 04:02 AM   #40
mudsweatNgearz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanjeep View Post
Yes, I just snipped the headlight wires at the driver side headlight. These wires will control your relays for switching Hi and Low beam.

White wire = Hi beam
Green wire = Lo beam
Black wire = Ground (this wire will no longer be used)

White wire to pin 85 on one relay
Green wire to pin 85 on other relay
ground pin 86 on both relays with same gauge wire

Run 12 gauge wire from batt to pin 30 on both relays. I ran two seperate 12 gauge leads with inline fuses but you could use one lead and splice in a Y just before the relays to feed both relays (you will never use both Hi and Lo at the same time so it won't matter). The only advantage to running two seperate leads is if I lose continuity on one circuit I will still have either hi beam or lo beam to get me home.

Pins 87 will run to the headlights with 12 awg. Be sure to ground the lights with 12 awg also.
Unread 09-07-2012, 04:27 AM   #41
mudsweatNgearz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmanman View Post
Again, nice job on the conversion. Seems Whitefacegauge.com doesn't exist? Was it a hard mod to do?
http://www.whitegauges.net/products/...ce-Gauges.html

Sorry bout that...it is actually whitefacegauges.net.
The mod was really easy and fun to do! The only place I had a little difficulty was on the tach and speedo. The face lens is held on by a bezel which is a factory crimp so you will need to pry the lip up all the way around the edge of the bezel to get it apart (see step #9 below).

I am VERY happy with the results. I was going to go with led gauge lights but this brightens everything up so much that seeing the gauges is no problem at all.
PS....don't forget to get some orange flourescent needle paint too.!!

Unread 09-07-2012, 04:55 AM   #42
jimmybob67
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Great write up. Thanks. Will be doing this as well.
jimmybob67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2012, 06:02 AM   #43
TheSmanman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudsweatNgearz View Post
http://www.whitegauges.net/products/...ce-Gauges.html

Sorry bout that...it is actually whitefacegauges.net.
The mod was really easy and fun to do! The only place I had a little difficulty was on the tach and speedo. The face lens is held on by a bezel which is a factory crimp so you will need to pry the lip up all the way around the edge of the bezel to get it apart (see step #9 below).

I am VERY happy with the results. I was going to go with led gauge lights but this brightens everything up so much that seeing the gauges is no problem at all.
PS....don't forget to get some orange flourescent needle paint too.!!
Thanks for the info!
I'm going to order it today. It looks great and when I'm driving around I really can't see my gauges to well, so I'm looking forward to getting the kit.
TheSmanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2012, 06:25 AM   #44
Kuntryboy816
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome write up! I was looking into buying some auxillary lighting for driving purposes but I'm definitely trying this out first! Hopefully I'll have time to knock this out this weekend. Will post up some result pics once done.
Unread 09-07-2012, 07:11 AM   #45
sdotcarter
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I called the parts store and they only have one 12v 30 amp relay. Would this be an item radioshack would carry ya think?
sdotcarter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
electrical , h4 , head light , headlight upgrade , relay

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.