Head light relay mod write up....WOW what a difference - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Head light relay mod write up....WOW what a difference

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 07-30-2012, 05:24 PM   #16
mxmike480
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mywrangler94 View Post
so you can use that wireing harness to upgrade the headlights on your 88 and my 94 Mike?
Yes it should work on both. Then you can upgrade to headlights that have replaceable bulbs & really throw some light.The sealed beam halogens & the H4s have the same plug,so that makes it an easy mod.

Unread 09-02-2012, 05:41 AM   #17
ThomasYJ

1993 YJ Wrangler 

This is a lot simpler than I imagined it to be; nice write up.
I already have the ipf h4 conversion and iirc fatboy bulbs, Which throw white and really bright light, so I'm excited to see how they'll be after.
ThomasYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2012, 06:19 AM   #18
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Just posting for later reference. Nice work.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2012, 07:38 AM   #19
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasYJ View Post
This is a lot simpler than I imagined it to be; nice write up.
I already have the ipf h4 conversion and iirc fatboy bulbs, Which throw white and really bright light, so I'm excited to see how they'll be after.
What wattage are those bulbs? I did the H4 conversion as a complete noob and didnt take into account bigger bulbs might = bigger wires.

I ended up burning out the socket and damaging the other (hence the relay mod). Its been fantastic ever since, but just something for those with higher watt bulbs to think about if on the stock setup
[QUOTE=doublins;15539665]I always get people coming over and saying things like "I wish I knew how to do that," etc- but they don't realize- at some point I didn't know how to do it either- I had to figure it out.[/QUOTE]
HurricaneRZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #20
mudsweatNgearz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Just an update on my relay Mod. Since doing this mod I have went to the Rampage H4 lights and it is an unbelievable improvement!
My relays with the open push-on connectors left some to be desired though. Below is a pic of the original relay mod.

Then I decided to go with the relay socket like in the pic below to tidy things up a bit.

The problem is when I add more mods like additional lighting, electric fan, or what ever else tickles my fancy the mess of relays and fuses will begin to be too cumbersome so I decided to look for options to make things better and more of a factory/professional look so came up with this.

It is a fuse relay panel from a 92 S10 blazer. I completely gutted it, cleaned it up and started from scratch, rewiring it to my custom needs. The relay/fuse box will accomodate up to 6 relays and a dozen or more fuses. It is totally enclosed top and bottom with a hinged lid.

Below is the wired and installed results

I used weatherpack connectors so the whole thing can just be unplugged, removed and modded or serviced as needed

Before

Since my horn was not being used I removed it and used the space to mount the power center.

After

Unread 09-03-2012, 03:00 PM   #21
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I did a similar relay conversion (I used separate fuses for high and low beam circuits), and I agree, this is the cheapest, best upgrade in terms of bang for the buck.

To others reading: before you waste money on expensive lights etc, do this (actually since high performance lighting is more sensitive to voltage loss, this should be done first, regardless)
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 03:08 PM   #22
bad_andy24
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sub
bad_andy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 03:12 PM   #23
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm so glad more Jeepers are doing this instead of HIDs in H4 conversion sockets...
[QUOTE=doublins;15539665]I always get people coming over and saying things like "I wish I knew how to do that," etc- but they don't realize- at some point I didn't know how to do it either- I had to figure it out.[/QUOTE]
HurricaneRZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #24
Fernando
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

What a great mod, congratulations, I did this myself before, and I used H4 headlights with Hella headlamps, but I never thought about using a fuse box, that's awesome. I want to follow your example, will start looking for a box. Congratulations again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer
I don't mind writing for Fernando because he reads, and re-reads EVERY WORD!... Good to write for someone that actually READS the answer, and takes time to UNDERSTAND what comes back for an answer!
-------------------------------
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 04:51 PM   #25
ferriolom
1990 YJ Wrangler 

This will be done shortly. Also that fusebox may be my pick for my interior fusebox... How hard was it to gut and rewire? Did it use spade connectors underneath to hook in fuses?
ferriolom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #26
mudsweatNgearz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferriolom View Post
This will be done shortly. Also that fusebox may be my pick for my interior fusebox... How hard was it to gut and rewire? Did it use spade connectors underneath to hook in fuses?
It was easy to gut and rewire. I used all of the existing connectors, i just soldered and used dual wall sealing shrink tube on each splice to attach my new leads onto the existing wires according to what gauge I needed. I had to open up a couple of the terminals and recrimp my new wires to them because there were not enough terminals wired for 12 gauge for my needs.

The terminals were a different style that I had never seen before. They are super heavy duty....much heavier than your average spade connector.

The other benifit is I am going to run a 2 gauge wire to source the box from my battery so I can eliminate all the wires coming off of my battery. In essence it serves as a terminal block/strip as well with built in fuse panel.
Unread 09-03-2012, 08:29 PM   #27
rage4order
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Nice! **Subbed for future ref.**
rage4order is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 08:31 PM   #28
HanksRide
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Nice thread, and I just noticed tonight that I have one headlight out... I will be doing some of this soon..

Subscribed!!
3500 Mile Road Trip With Daughter
Daughters 04 TJ Build Thread
My-95-YJ Build Thread
HanksRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2012, 05:31 AM   #29
TheSmanman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudsweatNgearz View Post
Whitefacegauge.com. They gave VERY good service. They have a great website with good detailed instructions. Kit was like $25 shipped. I also bought some flourescent orange paint for the needles from a different outfit. The paint is like $8 for a teeny little jar but I had plenty left over. I used a toothpick to apply the paint...worked great. probably the best mod I have done so far as far as bang for the buck.
Again, nice job on the conversion. Seems Whitefacegauge.com doesn't exist? Was it a hard mod to do?
TheSmanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2012, 08:04 AM   #30
BGarth13
1992 YJ Wrangler 

You're my hero! I'll be tackling this project this weekend. Great idea and a very clear and thorough write up... kudos
BGarth13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical , h4 , head light , headlight upgrade , relay

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.