Head light relay mod write up....WOW what a difference - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Head light relay mod write up....WOW what a difference

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 11-29-2012, 11:01 AM   #226
Ciamonkey
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ok thanks I think ill tackle this task next pay cheque, will make my hella conversions stellar

Ciamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 11:35 PM   #227
rodgers3
1992 YJ Wrangler 

picking up suplies tomo
happy that radio shack and auto zone are about 1000 ft apart
hopefuly i can get all my parts for the upgrade
whats the estiment on the cost?
rodgers3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 12:12 AM   #228
Drix
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I will be finishing mine up tomorrow I am 20 bucks into so far mostly for relay's. I think I am gonna run a third relay to power both hi and low beams to a switch for on the trail.
95' YJ 4" lift 33"x12.5r15's D30/8.8 locked with 4:88's
USMC Jeep Club #6
"Why in hell can't the Army do it if the Marines can. They are the same kind of men; why can't they be like Marines."
Gen. John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, USA; 12 February 1918
Drix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 10:45 AM   #229
rodgers3
1992 YJ Wrangler 

did u cut the five wires on the switch?
Unread 12-02-2012, 10:47 AM   #230
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Nothing gets cut at the switch, nothing gets cut inside the vehicle. Everything is cut at the headlight socket.
Unread 12-02-2012, 10:53 AM   #231
rodgers3
1992 YJ Wrangler 

oh ok
so from the driverside headlight then where theres 2 green and a white with a red stripe and tan with red stirpe
Unread 12-02-2012, 11:16 AM   #232
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Figure out which us ground and which is power for the low beam and which is power for the high beam.
Unread 12-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #233
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgers3
oh ok
so from the driverside headlight then where theres 2 green and a white with a red stripe and tan with red stirpe
You'll need to figure out which is hi and low. Those two wires will go into two separate relays.
Unread 12-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #234
rodgers3
1992 YJ Wrangler 

so i assume green is low and the white is high. from what is read in the first post. black is ground. so from what i understand i take green and run it to one relay on pin 86 then to the headlights off the relay pin 87 . repeat with the white wire on outher relay. then run the ground from the lights to a grounding point??
then run power to pin 30 with the fuse and ground the relays from pin 85. to the frame?
if this is right i think i got it...
Unread 12-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #235
Drix
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The lights just need a ground. So long as you run power to one side of the plug and one to the top just run the other side of the light to ground.

I pulled the plugs out of the factory one and reused them. Here is a diagram I drew up of the head light plug. I will eventually reuse them and make a new harness to reuse the old factory plug.
image-2308493815.jpg  
95' YJ 4" lift 33"x12.5r15's D30/8.8 locked with 4:88's
USMC Jeep Club #6
"Why in hell can't the Army do it if the Marines can. They are the same kind of men; why can't they be like Marines."
Gen. John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, USA; 12 February 1918
Drix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #236
rodgers3
1992 YJ Wrangler 

well i got my low beams done tonight
need more wire for my high beams
i think i did it right
it looks alot more chrisp white than fadded yellowish white.

before
forumrunner_20121202_215916.jpg

after
forumrunner_20121202_215941.jpg
Unread 12-19-2012, 06:25 AM   #237
squishy
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

just gettin into tackling this. got the lights wired just gotta get the switch wires over to the fuse box side near the battery and wire them into the OEM fuse box. since i dont have AC or ABS there are 3 empty spots for relays so im just gunna wire them into that. im wondering why noone else has mentioned just using the OEM box. instead of running a whole new box. will post pics when im done.
all new 12awg wire (bought 20ft using about that with little left over), 2 JY relays, and 2 inline fuses. $20
squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #238
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
im wondering why noone else has mentioned just using the OEM box. instead of running a whole new box.
You're right. This was probably never mentioned because this writeup was intended for the novice level DIYer, as well as for the simplicity and the time frame in which to complete this task. I would also like to add that some of us on here don't have the luxury of having a PDC (relay center). I have contemplated using my empty relay slots when the winter is over and the weather is more favorable. With how I do things this would take me up to a week to modify, as that I am one to pull the looms, separate and run the wires, bundle them up, and re-wrap them.

I am by no means a professional. I know just enough to get myself into trouble.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #239
Kuntryboy816
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmons

You're right. This was probably never mentioned because this writeup was intended for the novice level DIYer, as well as for the simplicity and the time frame in which to complete this task. I would also like to add that some of us on here don't have the luxury of having a PDC (relay center). I have contemplated using my empty relay slots when the winter is over and the weather is more favorable. With how I do things this would take me up to a week to modify, as that I am one to pull the looms, separate and run the wires, bundle them up, and re-wrap them.
X2... If you do post up some pics. I'm looking to rid my engine bay of unnecessary wiring and vacuum lines now that's its been Nuttered.
A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. -George Washington
Kuntryboy816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 01:05 PM   #240
el scorcho
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Here's my "write up."

First I left all of the original wiring intact, except for a poor splice job I did on the right headlight after a fire some years back. I bought 2 new head light plugs; 3 different colored, stranded, 12 gauge wires; two 30 amp relays and one 30 amp maxi fuse. I used a power distribution center out of a Ford (lots of Fords used/use it) that I got out of a junk yard when I did the electric fan swap.

I switch the realys on and and off by running 16 AWG wire to the dimmer switch, located on the steering column under the dash. Since all I had was blue wire, I used a permanent marker to stripe one. The white wire on the dimmer switch is for high beam and the light green with black stripe is for low beam. I soldered the appropriate leads to the dimmer switch plug connectors and ran the new leads through the firewall into the fuse box to pin "86" on the corresponding relay. I didn't cut away any of the original wiring, just in case I couldn't get something right.

jeep-yj-258-dimmer-switch-mod.jpg

I ran the new 12 AWG low beam leads from each headlight back into the fuse box, and that's where they are soldered together and connected to pin "87" on the low beam relay. I did the same for the new high beam leads to the high beam relay. Both headlights share a common ground location; I reused the ground spot of the driver's side headlight.

headlight-right-back-mod.jpg

headlight-left-back-mod.jpg

8 gauge wire runs from the battery to the Ford fuse box, supplying power to all the fuses. Main power to pin "30" is shared by both realys coming from one 30 amp maxi fuse. Pin "85" on each relay is ran directly to a common ground.

power-center-mod.jpg
el scorcho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical , h4 , head light , headlight upgrade , relay

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.