Head light relay mod write up....WOW what a difference - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Head light relay mod write up....WOW what a difference

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 09-26-2012, 11:02 AM   #166
Kuntryboy816
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Are these the correct relays? I sure hope so since I just got 10 of them for $18 (shipped) off of Ebay.

image-3993470476.jpg  
A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. -George Washington
Kuntryboy816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 05:27 PM   #167
mudsweatNgearz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuntryboy816 View Post
Are these the correct relays? I sure hope so since I just got 10 of them for $18 (shipped) off of Ebay.
Those will work just fine.
Unread 09-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #168
mudsweatNgearz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
I'm going back for the bracket. All I had for tools was a screwdriver and a pair of dikes, neither of which were useful in trying to remove the bracket.

-Jake
The mounting bracket was another cool feature of this box. It's sturdy, quick release and low profile. I used weatherpack for all my connections so I just unplug it, push release tabs and walla...it's off in 60 seconds!
Unread 09-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #169
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The relays I bought aren't gonna work. The wiring is super thin. The relays are fine, but the harnesses are just way to small.
USMCBuckWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 01:26 AM   #170
mudsweatNgearz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCBuckWild View Post
The relays I bought aren't gonna work. The wiring is super thin. The relays are fine, but the harnesses are just way to small.
What I did when I was using the female harness/plug is disassemble the harnesses and wire it up with 12 awg. Easy enough to do, just get some new terminals and crimp 12awg then insert into housing till you hear click!

I looked all over hell and back for female sockets with 12awg and best I could find was 14awg on pin 30 and 87 but most were 16awg. Had a guy offer to custom make some for me with 12awg....I thought heck, I'll do that myself...so I did.
Unread 09-27-2012, 08:01 AM   #171
Orlie
1986 CJ7 

I searched for a while until I found the link below. The pic they have online is not the same as what you will receive. The connector is a replacement for the the connectors in the pigtail of pretty much any replay you purchase with a pigtail. I installed 12 gauge wire to power my lights and 14 gauge wire to close the replay. Just thought i would share.

later

Orlie

http://www.repairconnector.com/unive...2-awg-50-pack/
Orlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #172
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Great thread, great mod! I am thinking I will do this as well.

I have a question, if your headlights go off and back on like some folks have talked about, is it because the headlight switch is failing? What is the part that fails when a thermal issue happens, is it the headlight switch?

I am just wondering because I have experienced this. However I have had a cooling issue for a long time, the radiator was really bad. Now I have a new radiator and the cooling is hunky-dorey. When we say thermal, do we mean underhood temps, or the switch getting hot because it is acting as a resistor?

Hope this makes sense. Regardless, my crystal ball shows me buying a new headlight switch. Thanks.

Actually, it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land."
ldso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 09:22 AM   #173
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The headlight switch is the issue. Too much current flowing through it causes it to trip on and off. This modification cuts the current down that passes through the switch from ~10amps to a negligible ammount.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 10:08 AM   #174
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
The headlight switch is the issue. Too much current flowing through it causes it to trip on and off. This modification cuts the current down that passes through the switch from ~10amps to a negligible ammount.
This, the switch overheats and shuts off. Once it cools, it comes on again. Thats why it appears to go on-off-on-off-on-off
[QUOTE=doublins;15539665]I always get people coming over and saying things like "I wish I knew how to do that," etc- but they don't realize- at some point I didn't know how to do it either- I had to figure it out.[/QUOTE]
HurricaneRZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #175
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
Correct, same principle for the switch that controls the blower motor. In TJís itís a very big issue. Not anymore for me since I installed the relays.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 09:10 PM   #176
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA View Post
This, the switch overheats and shuts off. Once it cools, it comes on again. Thats why it appears to go on-off-on-off-on-off
Kind of like the flasher unit for your turn signals huh.
Unread 09-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #177
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
You missed my point completely. Maybe the next guy wishing to do this mod won't.
Hurricane is right. With the relays in there the current through the switch is greatly reduced because the contact on the relay carries the headlight current. All that passes through the switch is the current needed to energize the coil on the relay. Which is a tiny ammount compared to the current draw of headlights. So if the switch itself cuts out with the relays you did something wrong.

The added relays WILL PREVENT the thermal overloads in the actual switch from tripping.

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2012, 10:56 PM   #178
VAYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

WOW!!!
Unread 10-01-2012, 06:37 PM   #179
SDGBASSE
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Just finished doing this and I'm running into an issue, which I'm sure is related to the DRL. When the ignition is at ON with the lights at OFF, I'm getting the 50% power high beams ON but the high beam relay is clicking like crazy, when I put the lights ON and the full high beams the relay stays closed. Any ideas? I can't bypass the DRL, they're required by law here.....
Unread 10-01-2012, 07:40 PM   #180
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGBASSE
Just finished doing this and I'm running into an issue, which I'm sure is related to the DRL. When the ignition is at ON with the lights at OFF, I'm getting the 50% power high beams ON but the high beam relay is clicking like crazy, when I put the lights ON and the full high beams the relay stays closed. Any ideas? I can't bypass the DRL, they're required by law here.....
It sounds like there are two leads for your high beams. One that runs the Day time running lights and the other runs the full time highs.

Although I'm sure you would've noticed so I'm not exactly sure. Maybe it's something to do with the running light module. Do you get power to the relay switch wire with hi beams on?

Tags
electrical , h4 , head light , headlight upgrade , relay

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.