Head light relay mod write up....WOW what a difference - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Head light relay mod write up....WOW what a difference

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-20-2012, 09:22 AM   #151
Jax89Jeeper
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA

Without too much fiddling, you could get high beams working if you wire in a toggle switch in the cab dedicated to the high beams with the relays (assuming you'd rather do that then swap the blinker lever lol).
Just an FYI... Highbeams wired to a toggle switch is illegal in most states from what I have been told. If your state has inspections, it would cause you to fail.

Jax89Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2012, 10:08 AM   #152
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax89Jeeper View Post
Just an FYI... Highbeams wired to a toggle switch is illegal in most states from what I have been told. If your state has inspections, it would cause you to fail.
FL has none I wasn't suggesting it as a permanent feature though, just to clarify.
[QUOTE=doublins;15539665]I always get people coming over and saying things like "I wish I knew how to do that," etc- but they don't realize- at some point I didn't know how to do it either- I had to figure it out.[/QUOTE]
HurricaneRZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2012, 10:13 AM   #153
Jax89Jeeper
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA

FL has none I wasn't suggesting it as a permanent feature though, just to clarify.
Yeah I know, I am a fellow FL Jeeper.... If we had inspections, I would fail epicly. But since some states do I just thought I'd throw it out there so no one gets any unhappy surprises.
Jax89Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #154
kingcat400
1993 YJ Wrangler 

xpress you do not need much wiring to make the lows stay on with the highs actually none at all. all you need is a diode between the trigger wires pointing from high to low. but i would not recommend this.
kingcat400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2012, 04:43 PM   #155
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No inspection here either my catless bent axle shaft deathwobbly jeep would deff fail. (Only dw because I smashed my tierod on a rock and the alignment is bad now.)
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2012, 10:23 AM   #156
Kuntryboy816
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
DMV is so freaking stupid with their regs! What the crap do they think the lever on the the steering column is?!?! ....it's a big effing toggle switch!
A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. -George Washington
Kuntryboy816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2012, 10:52 AM   #157
W_A_Watson_II
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Install a goody but oldie, put a floor mounted dimmer switch in it.
W_A_Watson_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2012, 10:52 PM   #158
cycleguy04

Time for me to unsubscribe from this thread. It's rambling on. Really good info though. I ordered my relays from ebay a couple days ago.

[COLOR="White"]'91 Ranger XLT 2WD - 4.0 V6, A4"hell"D, contemplating twin turbo 5.3[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]'79 C10 Big Ten 2WD - 350, TH350, contemplating rebuilding to 355ci with supercharger and programmable EFI[/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]'12 Subaru Forester (AKA: Arctic Cat) - 2.5, non-CVT, wife's, still begging her to let me get an exhaust system[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Blue"]'01 SV650 - snorkelectomy, ebay slip-on, cam swap and re-jet in the near future [/COLOR][/FONT]
cycleguy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #159
Jakobi
2000 XJ Cherokee 

FYI for anyone wanting to do this mod and add the relay/fuse box. I searched every Blazer in my local junkyard for the box shown in this tread and found bupkis. However, the first Ford Explorer (a '94) I opened up had the same box smiling back at me.

-Jake
Unread 09-25-2012, 07:22 PM   #160
mudsweatNgearz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
FYI for anyone wanting to do this mod and add the relay/fuse box. I searched every Blazer in my local junkyard for the box shown in this tread and found bupkis. However, the first Ford Explorer (a '94) I opened up had the same box smiling back at me.

-Jake
Oh crap!! I hope I didn't brain fart and snag one from an explorer and tell everyone I got it from a S10 Blazer!!. When I spotted it I got all excited and didn't pay a helluva lot of attention what I was cutting it out of. I coulda swore it was a 92 Blazer.

The Blazers you looked at were they already removed or were they completely different boxes from what we got?.

If I got it wrong I truly apologize to everyone for my absent mindedness. I just hit 50 yo and they say the first thing to go is the mind.....LOL
Unread 09-25-2012, 10:07 PM   #161
Jakobi
2000 XJ Cherokee 

No worries, brother.

The Blazers I looked at didn't have boxes at all. They had relays but they were singles fastened to fenders or the firewall.

Here's a pic of what I picked up.

I loaded it up with relays and fuses and walked out for $30. Now I just need to find a good spot for it in my XJ's engine compartment.

-Jake
Unread 09-25-2012, 11:26 PM   #162
Nickabis
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi
No worries, brother.

The Blazers I looked at didn't have boxes at all. They had relays but they were singles fastened to fenders or the firewall.

I loaded it up with relays and fuses and walked out for $30. Now I just need to find a good spot for it in my XJ's engine compartment.

-Jake
What vehicle did that come from?
Nickabis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 12:51 AM   #163
evanjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickabis

What vehicle did that come from?
94 ford explore as said on last page lol
evanjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 01:35 AM   #164
mudsweatNgearz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
No worries, brother.

I loaded it up with relays and fuses and walked out for $30. Now I just need to find a good spot for it in my XJ's engine compartment. LOL, except I wasn't smart enough to load mine up with relays and fuses. Did you snag the nifty lil quick disconnect mounting bracket also?

-Jake

My aplogies to everyone who may have went on a wild goose chase because of my misinformation....It was a 92 explorer I got the box from. That is the exact box I snagged. It is a great box for what we want to do with these mods. You will be very happy with it.
Unread 09-26-2012, 09:31 AM   #165
Jakobi
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudsweatNgearz View Post
LOL, except I wasn't smart enough to load mine up with relays and fuses. Did you snag the nifty lil quick disconnect mounting bracket also?
I'm going back for the bracket. All I had for tools was a screwdriver and a pair of dikes, neither of which were useful in trying to remove the bracket.

-Jake

Tags
electrical , h4 , head light , headlight upgrade , relay

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.