Head light relay mod write up....WOW what a difference - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Head light relay mod write up....WOW what a difference

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 09-17-2012, 04:13 PM   #136
B2CARPEN
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
Actually, LED lamps are notorious for producing a LOT of heat, that's why every manufacturer of high intensity LED lamps has designed a heat sink into the back of the lamp. I'm sure the TruckLites produce plenty of heat themselves. You should feel some of the LED light bars me and some buddies use after a few hours of making our own daylight..
Very interesting.. the LEDs I've seen were the smaller offroad (low watt) lights and were cool to the touch while still providing a decent amount of light. I guess that's the difference compared to the high intensity wattage LEDs. I wouldn't doubt those light bars put out some heat especially since they are so powerful

I would be curious to hear from someone with trucklights lamps to see if their wattage is enought to provide some heat to the lense in colder climates.

Thanks for the info Xpress

IndyORV
B2CARPEN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #137
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

They get hot in the rear of the light, not as much on the lens end. The heat sink attached to the rear actually dissipates alot of the heat, as the most heat is generated by the diode itself.
USMCBuckWild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2012, 06:24 PM   #138
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2CARPEN View Post
Very interesting.. the LEDs I've seen were the smaller offroad (low watt) lights and were cool to the touch while still providing a decent amount of light. I guess that's the difference compared to the high intensity wattage LEDs. I wouldn't doubt those light bars put out some heat especially since they are so powerful

I would be curious to hear from someone with trucklights lamps to see if their wattage is enought to provide some heat to the lense in colder climates.

Thanks for the info Xpress
I would imagine that heat does radiate out from the light as well, same thing as with any other lamp. Put your hand in front of your headlights, about 6" out. You can still feel the heat radiating out with the light.

LED lamps can "project" heat just the same, so I'd imagine some of that residual heat could collect on the lens and head it up..

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2012, 01:17 PM   #139
shu2kill
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudsweatNgearz View Post
High everyone,

I am going to attempt to document my method of the headlight mod using relays. This is my first write up ever and I don't pretend to be any kind of a mechanic or expert of any kind. I am sure I could have done some things better but like I said I am a total amature at this stuff and did the best I could. I was amazed at the before and after pictures of the difference in brightness.
As we all know the factory headlight system leaves much to be desired. Using under sized wiring and running all that juice up through the switch is well, just plain cheezy to say the least. I can thank this forum for the idea and the guidance to complete this mod.

To start out I used this diagram:

What you will need:

2 30 amp 12v dc relays.(one for low beam and one for high beam)..local auto parts store
A bunch of 12 ga wire of a few different colors
2 inline fuses 12 ga with 25 amp fuses
various connectors and such

I started out by cutting the wire at factory headlight connectors. I took the pins out of the connectors and cleaned them all up. Then I soldered the 12 ga wire to the factory pins and reinserted them in the connectors (I didn't want any of the factory 18 or 20 ga wire or whatever it is anywhere in the circuit). I would suggest going to the auto parts store and getting new connectors. They are an off the shelf item and don't cost much.

Use a pick or a connector disassembly tool to get the pins out of the connector.

I cleaned them all up and soldered my 12 ga wire directly to the pins.

I then followed up with 3 layers of shrink tube and reinserted the pins back into the connector. Be sure the locking tabs are sticking up plenty far and listen for the click when you stick the pin back into the connector, gently tug back out on the wire to confirm a positive lock. I also coated all connections with dielectric grease.

Next I soldered in a T splice to run the other headlight and ran the loom behind the grill.

Using a pick I split the wire and inserted the other wire into the split then twisted them togeather. After soldering I used plenty of electrical tape, then zip tied over the electrical tape to keep the tape from ever unravelling and finally it will go into loom.

Next I mounted the relays on the inside of the wheel well behind the driver headlight.

I used crimp on female spade connectors to connect to the relay pins but I should have used relay connectors designed for this purpose (I will redo sometime with a solder on connector sometime).

I then ran power from my battery to the relays. I used two seperate power feeds but looking back I only needed one power feed wire then I could have soldered in a T splice just before the relays to run both relays...oh well, lots of lessons learned during this project.

On each of the power feed wires I soldered in a 12 ga 25 amp fuse holder. Be sure to get a good water resistant one with the push on cap like this one.

Loom and ziptie everything up and enjoy your much more reliable and efficient lights!!
On the before and aft pics the left headlight looks brighter because I am parked crooked in my garage and I am pretty close to the garage door.

Before:

After: Not only are they much brighter notice how much whiter the light is....can't wait for it to get dark and go for a drive... hehe

And while I am at it just for fun my white face gauge mod:

thanx for the diagram, pictures, and expanation!!

just one question.... where do you find the Low Beam Circuit and High Beam Circuit?? i think the Low Beam cable could be right behind the switch, but the High Beam is activated with the lever behind the wheel, so, where do you access those?? or am i missing something??

maybe the original wires which are used for providing power to the lights, are setup to provide power just to the relays?? if so, where do find them to wire them to the relays??

thanx!!
shu2kill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2012, 02:12 PM   #140
Jax89Jeeper
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu2kill

maybe the original wires which are used for providing power to the lights, are setup to provide power just to the relays?? if so, where do find them to wire them to the relays??

thanx!!

You got it... Use the existing headlight wiring to activate the relays.
Jax89Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2012, 02:36 PM   #141
shu2kill
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax89Jeeper View Post
You got it... Use the existing headlight wiring to activate the relays.
thanx!! i assumed that would be the easier way, just wanted to make sure....

now, where are the wires located near the firewall?? i think i could cut them at the lights and then trace them back to the firewall, but arent they inside one of those big black looms?? where would be the easier place to have access to them??

one idea would be to cut them at the lights, and then, add an extension directly from there to the relay, but it would be a lot of extra wire, having to go back to the firewall again...
Unread 09-18-2012, 03:14 PM   #142
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu2kill View Post

now, where are the wires located near the firewall?? i think i could cut them at the lights and then trace them back to the firewall, but arent they inside one of those big black looms?? where would be the easier place to have access to them??

one idea would be to cut them at the lights, and then, add an extension directly from there to the relay, but it would be a lot of extra wire, having to go back to the firewall again...
On my 1989, the wire colors are WHITE and GREEN for high and low beams. You can trace them back from the lights to the firewall, they run into the firewall on the drivers side:

You can see that the white wires coming off of the relays are connected to the green and white wires going into the firewall.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #143
mudsweatNgearz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu2kill View Post

There was this same question asked earlier in the thread. I explained that I snipped the wires just behind the headlight. I just mounted the relays on the wheel well and used the driver side headlight leads to switch the relays, no need to trace the wires anywhere. If I remember right green is low beam, white high beam and you will not use the black ground anymore. You want your relays as close to the lights as possible.
Unread 09-19-2012, 07:02 AM   #144
dfahrion
1982 CJ7 

Head light relay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybob67 View Post
After looking at my wiring (94YJ) It seems adequate for the amperage draw of a 55 watt bulb. Is this mod for an earlier model?
This is so you can run 110/85 watt H4 bulbs. I was burning up my headlight sockets and head light switch. It really works.
Unread 09-19-2012, 07:22 AM   #145
dfahrion
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlie View Post
Will these work even though they are 5 pin relays. I'm going to use them for the relay headlight upgrade.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-pcs-40-AM...item3f1ad2f67b

Orlie
I was going to use the Bosch relays but was told the terminal pins are metric and I did not want to redo all my ends.
Unread 09-19-2012, 08:39 AM   #146
shu2kill
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudsweatNgearz View Post
There was this same question asked earlier in the thread. I explained that I snipped the wires just behind the headlight. I just mounted the relays on the wheel well and used the driver side headlight leads to switch the relays, no need to trace the wires anywhere. If I remember right green is low beam, white high beam and you will not use the black ground anymore. You want your relays as close to the lights as possible.
ok thank you!! i was thinking about mounting the relays on the firewall on the passengers side, where i already have 3 or 4 relays installed for the aux lights... but you are right, no need to trace them back and then front again... i think i will do this mod this weekend, thanx!!
Unread 09-19-2012, 10:31 AM   #147
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

im gonna do this mod i think eventhough my brights dont work, i dont believe the swich works on the blinker lever
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2012, 06:47 PM   #148
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper3494 View Post
im gonna do this mod i think eventhough my brights dont work, i dont believe the swich works on the blinker lever
Without too much fiddling, you could get high beams working if you wire in a toggle switch in the cab dedicated to the high beams with the relays (assuming you'd rather do that then swap the blinker lever lol).
[QUOTE=doublins;15539665]I always get people coming over and saying things like "I wish I knew how to do that," etc- but they don't realize- at some point I didn't know how to do it either- I had to figure it out.[/QUOTE]
HurricaneRZA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2012, 09:35 PM   #149
A_Ninja_Racer

My Brother drives a 95 Ford Taurus and he told me that he keeps popping his driver side head light bulb. I've always thought that his lights were dim so I went to E-Bay and ordered that 5 pack of relays and some 9007 pig tails. I'm really looking forward to giving this a shot!
A_Ninja_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2012, 08:09 AM   #150
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA View Post
Without too much fiddling, you could get high beams working if you wire in a toggle switch in the cab dedicated to the high beams with the relays (assuming you'd rather do that then swap the blinker lever lol).
Yea, I did the relay mod last night and it made a huge difference. I thought about a toggle switch for the brights but my wipers just stopped working on high so I guess ill be pulling it apart anyway
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
electrical , h4 , head light , headlight upgrade , relay

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.