I am going to attempt to document my method of the headlight mod using relays. This is my first write up ever and I don't pretend to be any kind of a mechanic or expert of any kind. I am sure I could have done some things better but like I said I am a total amature at this stuff and did the best I could. I was amazed at the before and after pictures of the difference in brightness.
As we all know the factory headlight system leaves much to be desired. Using under sized wiring and running all that juice up through the switch is well, just plain cheezy to say the least. I can thank this forum for the idea and the guidance to complete this mod.
To start out I used this diagram:
What you will need:
2 30 amp 12v dc relays.(one for low beam and one for high beam)..local auto parts store
A bunch of 12 ga wire of a few different colors
2 inline fuses 12 ga with 25 amp fuses
various connectors and such
I started out by cutting the wire at factory headlight connectors. I took the pins out of the connectors and cleaned them all up. Then I soldered the 12 ga wire to the factory pins and reinserted them in the connectors (I didn't want any of the factory 18 or 20 ga wire or whatever it is anywhere in the circuit). I would suggest going to the auto parts store and getting new connectors. They are an off the shelf item and don't cost much.
Use a pick or a connector disassembly tool to get the pins out of the connector.
I cleaned them all up and soldered my 12 ga wire directly to the pins.
I then followed up with 3 layers of shrink tube and reinserted the pins back into the connector. Be sure the locking tabs are sticking up plenty far and listen for the click when you stick the pin back into the connector, gently tug back out on the wire to confirm a positive lock. I also coated all connections with dielectric grease.
Next I soldered in a T splice to run the other headlight and ran the loom behind the grill.
Using a pick I split the wire and inserted the other wire into the split then twisted them togeather. After soldering I used plenty of electrical tape, then zip tied over the electrical tape to keep the tape from ever unravelling and finally it will go into loom.
Next I mounted the relays on the inside of the wheel well behind the driver headlight.
I used crimp on female spade connectors to connect to the relay pins but I should have used relay connectors designed for this purpose (I will redo sometime with a solder on connector sometime).
I then ran power from my battery to the relays. I used two seperate power feeds but looking back I only needed one power feed wire then I could have soldered in a T splice just before the relays to run both relays...oh well, lots of lessons learned during this project.
On each of the power feed wires I soldered in a 12 ga 25 amp fuse holder. Be sure to get a good water resistant one with the push on cap like this one.
Loom and ziptie everything up and enjoy your much more reliable and efficient lights!!
On the before and aft pics the left headlight looks brighter because I am parked crooked in my garage and I am pretty close to the garage door.
After: Not only are they much brighter notice how much whiter the light is....can't wait for it to get dark and go for a drive... hehe
And while I am at it just for fun my white face gauge mod: