HEad gasket? Loosing Coolant. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > HEad gasket? Loosing Coolant.

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 05-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
mtidwell
1988 YJ Wrangler 

HEad gasket? Loosing Coolant.

Ok here is the deal.

I fill it it up with water,, keeps getting , low . No external leak at all.

Usually stays fine on short runs,, but when i get on the highway it gets warm when i pull off of the highway?

Last night i noticed that when i pulled off the highway i had a bunch of white steam/smoke in my rearview.

When i put water in it , i fill it up ,,,start the jeep , it starts running out of the radiator cap, till i give it some throttle, then it sucks it down immediatly and is low ,,, until i let of the gas , then it starts flowing out of the radiator.
Acts like it is clogged up, and only flows when the throttle is pushed and water pressure goes up?

So looks like i am loosing coolant into the exhaust.

I pulled the head today? do not see anything obvious?

All of the coolant system has been replaced. radiator, waterpump , everything!

What do you guys think?

Motor only has a couple of thousand miles on it since it was rebuilt, haed was rebuilt and all!

Unread 05-01-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
mtidwell
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I am not a motor guy at all, dont even know where the water is supposed to go? and where to look for a leak that goes into the exhaust,, I did read that if it was going into a cylinder one cylinder may be cleaner than the others?
I did not see that at all?
Unread 05-01-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
Fenix85182
1989 YJ Wrangler 

When the engine was rebuilt, was the coolant level filled up appropriately? You're supposed to fill it up and let the motor get up to operating temperature for the thermostat to open, then finish filling the system to get the air out. There is a possibility you've had an air pocket since the motor was rebuilt. Has your heat been functional? When I had an air pocket in my system, my heat worked intermittently, as there wasn't enough coolant to get into the heater core.

In my experience with blown head gaskets, it may look as though the head gasket is fine, but it is actually leaking. Was there any oil in the coolant you drained to pull the head off? White smoke out the back is indicative of burning coolant. Since there is no external leak and you haven't seen any puddles or drips under the Jeep, by deduction I would assume another head gasket would do the trick.
Fenix85182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
mtidwell
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah i did fill the coolant like that ,,, several hundred times , ha
I do notice there is allot more carbon than should be there ,on the pistons and valves
Even some deposits on the plugs,,that are pretty new
It is running fat ,,
But not that bad , i changed the jets today while its apart.
Unread 05-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #5
Fenix85182
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well, coolant, or otherwise ethylene glycol, is built on a 2-carbon backbone. If it's burning, it would likely leave more-than-usual carbon behind.

I know it's a little late for this now, but you can always get a combustion leak test done that checks for exhaust gasses in your coolant. If something is flowing it, something is probably going the other way to and is generally easier to check for than tearing the engine apart.
Fenix85182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 04:47 AM   #6
mtidwell
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Oh yeah i didnt know about that ,,

Oh and by the way heat has always worked fine.

All i am worried about now is wether towait and have head cked,, even though it was checkednot too long ago,orjust put it back together.

Not sure what magna flux cost?
Unread 05-02-2013, 05:47 AM   #7
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Wouldn't one cylinder look very different from the rest as far as the carbon buildup goes? Cannot see how the leak could distribute itself throughout all of them. I can see a leak near an exhaust port causing the O2 to misread and over richen the mixture. I would think the steam in a cylinder would clean a carbon buildup, but who knows!
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 06:10 AM   #8
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

if carbon build up is in all cylinders check out the intake manifold, could be cracked or rusted out. I'd hook up a garden hose to the water inlet in the intake and look for leaks. with heavy carbon build up one or two cylinders or spark plugs should look different if its the head gasket.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.