head gasket, head swap, 4.0 or stroker - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 02-25-2005, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
sailor77

head gasket, head swap, 4.0 or stroker

I am having an issue and I need a little help. I blew the head gasket on my 89 YJ with 90K miles. I know I can easily swap the head gasket, but am worried about warp. I did not over heat it but I have heard that due to the length and weight of the head, they are prone to warping.
I could also swap in a 4.0 Head and exhaust, cost about $500.
I can also buy a complete 99 4.0 with 66K miles for $400. But then have to rewire, add fuel pump, probably are least $1000 when all said and done
Or I can buy the 4.0, and stroke it with the 4.2 crank and rods, but if I do this I want to keep it carb, is there anyway to do that using the 4.0 block and 4.2 intake manifold? I think there would be issues with distributor and fuel right?

Also I am selling the jeep. So I don't want to go overboard unless I am sure I can get the money back from it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-25-2005, 12:01 PM
bcshepard

I would think your stock distributor would be fine and from what I understand you'll need the 4.0 exhaust manifold the but 4.2 intake manifold should bolt right in. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-25-2005, 02:15 PM
COJAM

You are right that head will warp mine did. there are 4.0 heads ready to go on ebay for just over 400 shipped. These guys can get one to you for just over $300 no core www.aluminumcylinderhead.com. the 7120 is a great head to go with but the 0630 found on 96 XJ's is exactly the same except for where the tem sender goes. I did the research and it is. That price on that 4.0 is a good deal and there is a writ up on how to swap it in here. My head swap will cost just about $500 when I am done. Al also set up a TFI ignition.

I just got my head done for about $300 and I had it milled. It came outreally nice. it was from an 96 XJ that blew a piston and overheated so yes it was warped.

here is a link to the ebay conversion head

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

GBD

post #4 of 4 Old 02-25-2005, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
sailor77

Well I ordered the new hear gasket got the 4.2 today. I am gonna hope and pray that the head is not warped. I can't get it to a machine shop right now. I should have the new motorcraft on Monday.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.