head gasket...? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > head gasket...?

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-12-2009, 04:38 AM   #1
JIBTEXHNKA
1987 YJ Wrangler 

head gasket...?

all right, i know if your oil looks milky there's a good chance you have antifreeze in it which probably means you've got a bad head gasket, right?

i checked my oil and the dipstick looked pretty nasty. i also checked in the air box and noticed the oil-soaked air filter which was caused by a bad PCV/CCV/whatever system blowing oil and i saw that the oil that was coming in was a mix of oil and white milky stuff that smells, um, bad.

so naturally i slapped myself for not checking the oil/air filter when i bought the jeep a week before () and then immediately went to change the oil, expecting to see some nasty-looking liquid drain out... but it looked perfectly normal. not even a tiny little hint of whiteness. and i let it drain a looong time, probably about 45 minutes, just to make sure any goo had a chance to come out. still nothing. just normal black used oil. i even poured a bit of fresh oil in near the end to flush out anything left behind, but that turned out to just be a waste of good oil.

i fixed my PCV problem so there's no more white gunk in the air box, but the dipstick is still coming up milky when i check the oil. i was thinking maybe i just have a dirty dipstick tube, but if it's just that then how would it have ended up on the air filter?

so what on earth is going on here? sorry this is so long but this is driving me crazy.

JIBTEXHNKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2009, 08:06 AM   #2
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Condensation could be causing your problem.
If the rig has not been run up to temp and kept there to dry out the internals this can happen.
It is fairly common in my home country (England) for this to happen.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2009, 09:44 AM   #3
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.7stroker View Post
Condensation could be causing your problem.
If the rig has not been run up to temp and kept there to dry out the internals this can happen.
It is fairly common in my home country (England) for this to happen.

Dwayne
x2. if you just bought it then the seller probably wasn't running it long enough while selling to get the engine up to temp to get rid of the condensation and it combined with the oil to make a white grease. if your oil came out clean, i wouldn't worry about it much. maybe run a can of sea foam through the oil and then change it again.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2009, 10:22 AM   #4
ritjobbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Please don't take this the wrong way...

Are you sure you are checking the engine oil dipstick?

I helped a buddy of mine change his oil recently. He kept putting more and more oil in the engine, checking the dipstick each time. After a while he asked me why the oil wasn't moving on the dipstick--it just stayed about halfway between COLD and HOT...
Unread 03-12-2009, 10:43 AM   #5
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

My opinion differs from the others - I think the water/oil mix was changed prior to you buying the jeep and you should do some checks. If the white emulsion (this takes agitation to develop and doesn't happen from a bit of condensation sitting on the dipstick) was in your air filter, I would perform a pressure test on the engine to get some idea of it's condition.

How is the oil pressure cold? warm?
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2009, 12:32 AM   #6
JIBTEXHNKA
1987 YJ Wrangler 

gauge doesn't work so i don't know the oil pressure. by pressure check do you mean check compression?

whenever i drive i'm always on the road long enough for everything to heat up to normal operating temperature, although obviously i have no idea what the seller did with it.

the white gunk probably isn't antifreeze though?
JIBTEXHNKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2009, 05:00 AM   #7
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIBTEXHNKA View Post
gauge doesn't work so i don't know the oil pressure. by pressure check do you mean check compression?

whenever i drive i'm always on the road long enough for everything to heat up to normal operating temperature, although obviously i have no idea what the seller did with it.

the white gunk probably isn't antifreeze though?
My reference to cylinder pressure testing is in fact a compression test and my suggestion for this was due to your reference of the white stuff in your air filter - if there's enough room around the rings for a lot of blow by, the compression will be low. I would also get the oil pressure tested to see how good the pump and the bearings are - you can use an analog gauge if the jeep electrical gauge/sensor don't work (the sensor is often the problem in these cases).

The white stuff could be anti-freeze, but if it was, I would expect it to still be getting into the oil unless the PO changed the head gasket - you can look around the head area for obvious signs of work. It could have been off-roaded into water deep enough to get into the pan through the dip stick area or elsewhere and then the PO may not have picked up on it quick enough and allowed the emulsion to develop.

If you don't see any new water in the oil, you're probably OK in that regard but if it was my jeep I'd want to know how tight the rest of the motor was.
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.