head bolt pattern/numbering system on a 4 cyl.? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > head bolt pattern/numbering system on a 4 cyl.?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 05-17-2010, 12:10 PM   #1
MikeL95YJ

head bolt pattern/numbering system on a 4 cyl.?

I got the torque settings for my '95 2.5 liter head bolts, but need help identifying the #8 bolt. Are they numbered 1-5 on driver's side front to rear, 6-10 passenger side, OR 1-9 odd on driver's side front to rear, 2-10 even on passenger side front to rear, OR vice-versa on any of these, OR some other less logical pattern? thanks--Mike

MikeL95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeL95YJ View Post
I got the torque settings for my '95 2.5 liter head bolts, but need help identifying the #8 bolt. Are they numbered 1-5 on driver's side front to rear, 6-10 passenger side, OR 1-9 odd on driver's side front to rear, 2-10 even on passenger side front to rear, OR vice-versa on any of these, OR some other less logical pattern? thanks--Mike
I created this jpeg from info derived from my Chilton's. (That is my disclaimer) but this should be correct for all model year 2.5L Jeep engines...
2.5l-head.jpg  
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2010, 02:15 PM   #3
MikeL95YJ

Steve--This is exactly what I needed! My guess did not include the start in the center and spiral clockwise order, but definitely makes it easier to follow the order when torqueing. I'll be adding a Chilton's YJ manual to my collection, as soon as I need another major repair. Thanks for the info--Mike
MikeL95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2010, 02:33 PM   #4
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeL95YJ View Post
Steve--This is exactly what I needed! My guess did not include the start in the center and spiral clockwise order, but definitely makes it easier to follow the order when torqueing. I'll be adding a Chilton's YJ manual to my collection, as soon as I need another major repair. Thanks for the info--Mike
Most all head bolt patterns follow this same pattern so that there is no trapped stress between the bolts. As the bolts are tightened in sequence, the stress is pushed outboard rather than being trapped otherwise. You are fortunate in that you reside in San Diego, as one of our most gifted mods lives in that area. If you ever get stuck and especially need mechanical assistance, then I am sure that Joe Dillard will lend a hand. He commonly offers his assistance to those within his reach. (It may cost you a beer or two, but I suspect he would still help for free) On a side note, the Chilton's is a good reference but falls far short of a factory service manual. It is definitely a good tool to have and if your needs surpass it, you can then get a fsm OR ping the board for help.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.