Hawaiian Jeep -> California emissions? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hawaiian Jeep -> California emissions?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-31-2002, 06:33 AM   #1
iamthemellowman

Hawaiian Jeep -> California emissions?

My jeep was originally purchased in hawaii... And I was thinking the other day that perhaps the emissions were that of california's...

So what did the 4.0L efi have for calif emissions? Of particular interest is the the throttle body bore diam. would it have a 2.5L one? And if there is a way i can inspect a number somewhere that would tell me if it had calif type emission controls.

Unread 07-31-2002, 10:02 AM   #2
evilpsych

look under your jeep.. do you notice a catalytic converter? looks like a smaller muffler inside a cage between the actual muffler and the engine. If you got that. you're fine for CA smog..

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2002, 10:10 AM   #3
RCHavok797
2005 LJ Wrangler 

What are you trying to see, if they robbed you of any power or performance gains by using the California emissions standard?
RCHavok797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2002, 10:33 AM   #4
iamthemellowman

Quote:
Originally posted by RCHavok797
What are you trying to see, if they robbed you of any power or performance gains by using the California emissions standard?
Well i bought one of those chintzy cone filter and airtube products. And the hose was too large to fit on the TB, so i'm mostly convinced that it was the product i purchased since it seemed like a POS. I was wondering if the 4.0L had different equipment (such as a smaller TB) I don't live in hawaii or california, i'm in Ct. the original owner purchased it in hawaii so i'm trying to determine if it had special-for california emission equipment.

A simpler way to do this: Whats the OD on a 4.0L Throttle body? or ID

p.s. don't buy these products, they overcharge and supply you with the thinnest material... I'm returning mine to make my own.
Unread 07-31-2002, 10:41 AM   #5
evilpsych

for the most part.. there is no "special california equipment" any longer.. virtually all autos nowadays come from the factory with this equipment standard as many other states have implemented similar smog requirements to those of california.

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2002, 02:43 PM   #6
gojurick

Look under the hood for the emissions sticker. It'll say if it was built to California standards or US standards.
gojurick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2002, 03:02 PM   #7
RCHavok797
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I think the 4.0L throttle body has a larger diameter than the one for the 2.5L.
RCHavok797 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.