Having problems with jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Having problems with jeep

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 05-20-2013, 05:57 PM   #1
Roth
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Having problems with jeep

Hi guys I'm new here and I got a yj 4.0 straight 6 manual last weekend and it's now having problems.

I got the jeep and it drove and it was missing the rear drI've shaft. The guy needed a spindle housing and new u joint. So it was stuck in 4 wheel drive.

Drove it to my buddies House and replaced brakes and changed oil. Then went to take it for a test drive. Worked fine. Next morning I go out to drive it and it just stops

It turns on and will go into gear and but won't go anywhere. When I put to gear and push gas drive shaft turns
Even tried pushing it and putting tranny back to into gear which didn't work. Won't go into reverse. Bled out clutch liquid hoPing there was just some airO in there but there was none.

You guys got any ideas? The spindle housIng is in the mail to me so this weekend the rear drive shaft will be back and working. Do u think that could be the problem?

Thanks

Unread 05-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #2
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

ok Im confused a little bit. You have no rear drive shaft... but when its in gear the front shaft turns but the jeep goes no where? Is this correct? If it is.. on the passenger side of the front axle there is an axle disconnect that's held with 4 bolts. Remove the bolts and then do this http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4.../#post14771599

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 06:22 PM   #3
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05059 View Post
ok Im confused a little bit. You have no rear drive shaft... but when its in gear the front shaft turns but the jeep goes no where? Is this correct? If it is.. on the passenger side of the front axle there is an axle disconnect that's held with 4 bolts. Remove the bolts and then do this http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4.../#post14771599
Yeah, count me confused as well. If I had to guess given this limited description, it almost sounds as though that once you installed a rear drive shaft, then no go. If this is the case, the is the gearing the same from front to rear axle? This is just a fart guess given the description though. Please fill us in with more info.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 06:29 PM   #4
Roth
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05059 View Post
Correct

I don't really know what you mean by more information. I don't really have any more information I actually don't know to much about it

But I'll try this when I get home thisweekend
Unread 05-20-2013, 06:35 PM   #5
haroldpo
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If you do not have a SYE kit on the transfer case and your rear drive shaft just slips in, then all the fluid has ran out and the pump in the np231 transfer case will not work.
haroldpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #6
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

So to understand. Your rig will not go into reverse? That is it?

Can you push it in neutral back out of the garage and see if you can go into first?

Does it just rev up, if so the transfer case may be in neutral and need to be in 4H.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 06:54 PM   #7
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

More info means that we need to know exactly how your rig is currently configured and the problem that this current configuration presents. Your question reads like a time line to where different things where changed and the results are a miss-mash in between. Exactly how is your rig at this very moment and exactly what is the issue related to this?
Rear driveshaft installed or not, front driveshaft only? What do you have installed on the rear output of your transfer case? Slip yoke, SYE??? It may be easy for you to assume for us to know what is going on, but this is not the case. Very small details can make a very big difference. Not clairvoyant am I. (At least not over the internet)
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #8
Roth
1991 YJ Wrangler 

It wont drive in any gear or reverse. And we did push it to see if it would go into gear and it won't.

As Of right now it is in 4 hi thats where it's stuck at until I get spindle housing and get the rear shaft back in this weekend
Unread 05-20-2013, 07:05 PM   #9
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

If the rear DS is absent and this YJ was driving in 4WD but isn't now, make sure your transfer case is still in 4WD high. Next look at the front vacuum setup that slides over the 4WD coupler.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #10
Roth
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yea the last owner ran the vacuum line up to the cab and u have to manual put on the vacuum lines if u want 4wd or 2wd
Unread 05-22-2013, 08:22 AM   #11
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post
If the rear DS is absent and this YJ was driving in 4WD but isn't now, make sure your transfer case is still in 4WD high. Next look at the front vacuum setup that slides over the 4WD coupler.
I think you have it. The vacuum setup is not working and the axle slide has not gone over to connect the passenger side axle. So when he tries to move the front drive shaft spins but the tires do not move.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 09:14 AM   #12
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Fire your YJ up. Put your TC in neutral, and your tranny in drive. Take a peek under your YJ DO NOT crawl underneath this YJ during this little inspection!

The input shaft of the TC should be moving with the engine running since it is tied to the output shaft of your tranny.

If it isn't the tranny is not sending movement to the TC.

If it is then what are the outputs of the TC doing? We know your rear DS is absent but what is it's output yolk doing on the TC?

If the front DSS is spinning but you are not going anywhere then the front vacuum disconnect is not engaged.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.