having problem to find a transmission for yj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > having problem to find a transmission for yj

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-05-2013, 01:59 PM   #1
matteyj

having problem to find a transmission for yj

hello everyone i got a question , i have a yj 1991 , 4.0 4x4 .. il6 . im having problem with the manual transmission ( 5 speed) ... does anyone knows if i can use another jeep like cherockee or a different transmission instead? since when u talk about wrangler the price changes a lot .... thanks very much ....
stay on 4x4 ..

matteyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You can use a cherkar ax15 trans.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #3
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You will need to re-drill the t-case mounting holes if you use a Cherokee transmission. Same transmission as the wrangler ax-15, but holes are in a different position. I think 10* off.
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2013, 02:52 PM   #4
matteyj

Im sorry one more question ,,, matters of the 4x4 part? cause i can find on the junk yard transmission but if i got 4x4 is 4c and if i got 6cil is a 4x2 .... makes a difference about the 4x2 or 4x4 ?
matteyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #5
scramblered
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure on the Cherokee but I am of the understanding that the output shaft on the Wrangler AX15 with a 4 cyl has 21 splines while the 6 cyl came with 23. Good luck, Dave
Unread 07-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

You can also use the NV3550 5sp from later model TJ's and Libertys, but I would guess there would also be some minor modifications, that I'm not completely up on... but it is do-able.

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #7
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteyj View Post
Im sorry one more question ,,, matters of the 4x4 part? cause i can find on the junk yard transmission but if i got 4x4 is 4c and if i got 6cil is a 4x2 .... makes a difference about the 4x2 or 4x4 ?
You need a 6cyl 4x4 transmission

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #8
Mywrangler94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I know the transfer case off a cherokee is clocked differently, so you have widen the hole in the skid plate/cross member of the YJ. I know, I did it.....Thats all I know guys...
Mywrangler94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.