Having a lighting problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Having a lighting problem

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 03-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #1
JDUB_306
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Having a lighting problem

Hello all. I'm new to this forum. Just recently bought a 91 YJ Islander. It has 140,000kms. Very good condition. A tad bit of rust but nothing major. As it has been getting nicer out with spring arriving, I've started to try to work out some of the issues. One of which is my dash lights. They don't work at all. I checked the fuse and it's good. So I moved on to the dimmer switch and thought I found the problem. It was super corroded and gunked up. I cleaned that all up and put it back together. The interior lights now work with the dimmer switch rolled all the way up, but still no sign of life from the dash lights. Any suggestions on my next move?

JDUB_306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Welcome to the forum!! The dimmer section may still be corroded. Are they all out including the speedometer? If the speedo/tach work you will have to remove the gauges. The circuit can be repaired even by a novice solderer if you're careful. If the speedo doesn't work you will need a voltmeter and know how to use it. If yes, with the parking lights on see if there is voltage on the wiper or the metal disk.
Let us know, and we can help you. This is a common problem, if you do a search on JF you will find a plethora of helpful tips, depending on the severity and location of the problem.

Regards,

Jim W
JWELK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #3
JDUB_306
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Didn't get a chance to look at it today but yeah, they're all out. I do have power to the dimmer switch and also leaving the dimmer switch. I can't imagine it being the circuit boards for the gauges. I guess it's possible. I'll have to dig deeper. I might pull the dash entirely, just to clean everything up, replace the speakers and also there's a few things I'd like to learn more about. I found an aftermarket switch that, as far as I can tell, doesn't do anything haha would like to know what that's about. I'll post once I get the chance to dig deeper.
Unread 03-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #4
cstone94
1995 YJ Wrangler 

What fuses did you check?

These are all of the main interior lighting/radio/gauge fuses.

Edit: Check #8 as well.

11' F250 - DD

1982 Toyota Pick-Up - Spray-On Yellow Rhino Lined - Chevrolet 305 H.O. - SM465 - NP208C - All-Pro Off Road 5" Springs - 35x15.50x15 Super Swampers
cstone94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 08:26 PM   #5
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUB_306 View Post
Didn't get a chance to look at it today but yeah, they're all out. I do have power to the dimmer switch and also leaving the dimmer switch. I can't imagine it being the circuit boards for the gauges. I guess it's possible. I'll have to dig deeper. I might pull the dash entirely, just to clean everything up, replace the speakers and also there's a few things I'd like to learn more about. I found an aftermarket switch that, as far as I can tell, doesn't do anything haha would like to know what that's about. I'll post once I get the chance to dig deeper.
I'd suggest this. Then get a set of jumper cables to jump straight from the battery or any other 12v source to a part of the circuit cluster that attaches to a light. It might be a break in the strip somewhere. Since they're all in series, one break means all of them stop working. It's the Christmas light effect.
idskot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 09:19 AM   #6
JDUB_306
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys! Yeah I only checked the dash light fuse. I'll have to go back and check them all. I hate checking fuses though haha they're such a pain to deal with when they're way up behind the dash like that
Unread 03-04-2013, 02:56 PM   #7
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The plugs are notorious as is the circuit trace(s) on the gauges. As for the checking the fuses, a test light is ideal. IIRC there are 2 maybe 3 fuses that are hot all the time, the rest are on the ignition. As they are easier to check and also are prone to corrosion, check them first. I hope you have a garage. You can always ship it down here. Water is a bit cool 73 F, and it gets down to the low '80's at night. I'm just telling you this to make you feel better as the Arctic Express high balls it through. Spring is just around the corner and you'll have maybe 18 hrs of light to fix stuff.

Regards,

Jim W
JWELK is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.