Having issues with my YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Having issues with my YJ

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Reply
Unread 04-17-2013, 05:53 PM   #1
Idawg67
Registered User
1992 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mountain Grove, Mo
Posts: 12
Having issues with my YJ

I have a 1992 Wrangler Renegade right now...

Ran, lost ALL power, immediately restarted the other day... Parked it, and went and fired it off to take a look inside and it ran for 30 seconds, went rough running for about 5 seconds, now it wont start at all..

I did the on/off/on/off/on with the key, and the only code I got from the computer was 5 5, which means no computer issues, right??

Idawg67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #2
pete1991YJ
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Niagara Falls, NY
Posts: 1,623
55 means there are no more codes. To find out if the computer is OK just turn the key on and watch the light. It should ome on a few secs and then go out.

First thing I would do is check for spark. Then check for fuel pressure. Whatever it is, does not seem to set an error code - those are usually fuel system probs.

BTW Welcome to JeepForum, you've just found one of the best jeep sites anywhere!
__________________
***--- Wrecking Crew member ---***
"I've prolly been around longer than you think"
pete1991YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
Squirrel442
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Shreveport, Louisiana
Posts: 21
I had the same symptoms turned out to be the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKS), but could be Camshaft Position Sensor (CPS) and may be the Computer (ECU). Could also be a bad engine ground.

Most common cause for what you described is CKS failure. After mine went I threw a code for TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) and had to replace that. Also found a bad ground.

There is a way to test the sensors. First thing you need to do is pull a plug wire and check for a strong spark. If no spark at the plug then check for spark at the coil. if no spark at the coil test the CKS. If you have spark at the coil but not the plugs test the CPS. Check for good grounds hopefully it is a common sensor failure not a computer problem.

Engine needs spark, fuel, oxygen. If you have spark check to see why you don't have fuel. if you have all three and it won't start then check the timing.

Edit - Wanted to add that when my CKS went out I did not throw a code. Bad ground, also no code.


I've been there ... remember it is a hobby

Lots of info on the site
Squirrel442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #4
Jim93YJ
Member
 
Jim93YJ's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 524
I lost all power immediately when I had my 2.5L. Ended up being a bad ignition coil.
__________________
93YJ 4.8L Vortec,AX15,Atlas 4.3:1, 4.56 Gears, Dana 30 w/ Posi-lok,Dana 44 Rear w/ Ox Locker + 99 Explorer Disk Brakes,Tom Woods D. Shafts,1" Body, 2.5" ED RE Lift, 33" BFG KM2 T/A's with MT Classic II Wheels, Herculined Inside, Electric Fan, 20 Gal Tank Conversion,Tuffy Center Console,Warn Front Bumper, Rockhard 4X4 Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier,Bushwacker Extended Flat Fender Flares,AMSoil/Redline In Everything and the List Goes On....

AND...

88YJ 4.2L: Interior and mechanical overhaul including engine replacement, nutter bypass, Weber 34 Carb, and work on a whole bunch of other things to get it back to fine running condition without the emissions control...evap cannister kept functional as well as PCV system, and manifold heater.
Jim93YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 08:49 AM   #5
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 14,550
Cycle the key and listen for the fuel pump to cycle. If the fuel pump doesn't come on post back. There is a common issue with the fuel pump ground.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 05:06 PM   #6
Idawg67
Registered User
1992 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mountain Grove, Mo
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete1991YJ View Post
55 means there are no more codes. To find out if the computer is OK just turn the key on and watch the light. It should ome on a few secs and then go out.

First thing I would do is check for spark. Then check for fuel pressure. Whatever it is, does not seem to set an error code - those are usually fuel system probs.

BTW Welcome to JeepForum, you've just found one of the best jeep sites anywhere!
THANKS FOR THE WELCOME !!

Okay, so ity could still be something wrong re: the computer, but it is not reading it...

I have fuel pumping and filter is allowing fuel thru. I hear there was another smaller fuel filter inline between the first and the engine by the frame?? I am a Land Cruiser person, and use this as a daily driver...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel442 View Post
I had the same symptoms turned out to be the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKS), but could be Camshaft Position Sensor (CPS) and may be the Computer (ECU). Could also be a bad engine ground.

Most common cause for what you described is CKS failure. After mine went I threw a code for TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) and had to replace that. Also found a bad ground.

There is a way to test the sensors. First thing you need to do is pull a plug wire and check for a strong spark. If no spark at the plug then check for spark at the coil. if no spark at the coil test the CKS. If you have spark at the coil but not the plugs test the CPS. Check for good grounds hopefully it is a common sensor failure not a computer problem.

Engine needs spark, fuel, oxygen. If you have spark check to see why you don't have fuel. if you have all three and it won't start then check the timing.

Edit - Wanted to add that when my CKS went out I did not throw a code. Bad ground, also no code.


I've been there ... remember it is a hobby

Lots of info on the site
Would a bad engine ground cause rough running ?? And allow it to die then immediately restart ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim93YJ View Post
I lost all power immediately when I had my 2.5L. Ended up being a bad ignition coil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
Cycle the key and listen for the fuel pump to cycle. If the fuel pump doesn't come on post back. There is a common issue with the fuel pump ground.
Fuel pump cycles, and I have fuel flowing out of the filter... Due to rusting brackets and such, Ima a lil hesitant to replace it.. But I know it flows, so it SHOULD be good

BTW, I LOVE vBulletin forums... I have been admining them for YEARS, both at the corporate level and for my web clients
Idawg67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 05:58 PM   #7
Rproject
Web Wheeler
 
Rproject's Avatar
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sandwich, IL
Posts: 2,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idawg67 View Post
I hear there was another smaller fuel filter inline between the first and the engine by the frame??
The filter you're looking for is just in front of the rear driver's side tire on the frame rail. There's a clap type housing the holds it in and provides protection from flying debris.
__________________
1996 White ZJ
1987 Maroon YJ (sideways build)
1996 Forest Green XJ

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 06:14 PM   #8
Idawg67
Registered User
1992 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mountain Grove, Mo
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject View Post
The filter you're looking for is just in front of the rear driver's side tire on the frame rail. There's a clap type housing the holds it in and provides protection from flying debris.
Yeah, I know about that one, but someone told me there was another in the system under the rig... MAYBE it was on an older one cause I have driven myself crazy looking for the second one LOL
Idawg67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 06:40 PM   #9
Rproject
Web Wheeler
 
Rproject's Avatar
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sandwich, IL
Posts: 2,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idawg67 View Post

Yeah, I know about that one, but someone told me there was another in the system under the rig... MAYBE it was on an older one cause I have driven myself crazy looking for the second one LOL
The older ones have a filter in the engine bay, about 12" before the carb.
__________________
1996 White ZJ
1987 Maroon YJ (sideways build)
1996 Forest Green XJ

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 06:58 PM   #10
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 14,550
Fuel assumed good for now do you have good spark at the plugs?
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 07:27 PM   #11
Idawg67
Registered User
1992 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mountain Grove, Mo
Posts: 12
I have a friend that is a mechanic and he will come by tomorrow and take a look... Will keep the thread updated
Idawg67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #12
Squirrel442
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Shreveport, Louisiana
Posts: 21
Would a bad engine ground cause rough running ?? And allow it to die then immediately restart ??

Through vibration or when you hit a bump yes, my guess would be one of the sensors is going out. For some reason they don't always throw a code.
Squirrel442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #13
Idawg67
Registered User
1992 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mountain Grove, Mo
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel442 View Post
Would a bad engine ground cause rough running ?? And allow it to die then immediately restart ??

Through vibration or when you hit a bump yes, my guess would be one of the sensors is going out. For some reason they don't always throw a code.
When I started up on Sat Morning, it would run rough for about 5 seconds then completely die... Now it wont start at all...
Idawg67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 12:06 AM   #14
Snakebite22
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Oceanside, Ca
Posts: 29
It's a bad computer bro same happened to me you can try replacing the caps or just get a new one
Snakebite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 06:33 AM   #15
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 14,550
With a no start you always check fuel at the fuel rail schrader valve and for spark at the plugs first.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.