Have you ever seen this before...starting issues - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Have you ever seen this before...starting issues

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-11-2013, 09:42 PM   #16
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Could be. Replace it and battery reset.

Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 09:47 PM   #17
DTR
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ
Could be. Replace it and battery reset.
Could other sensors cause an error 24? I am awaiting a new o2 sensor...just don't want to replace every sensor to only have the same problem.

Thank you for your help
DTR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2013, 04:09 AM   #18
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Map maybe. You can check the tps with a meter.
Unread 09-13-2013, 10:01 PM   #19
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTR View Post
I already cleaned the IAC a few weeks ago...I wonder if I messed up the TPS...I cleaned it also.
Maybe try wiggling the wires going into the TPS, see what happens. How is the connector there, is it solid?
Unread 09-13-2013, 11:22 PM   #20
DTR
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete1991YJ

Maybe try wiggling the wires going into the TPS, see what happens. How is the connector there, is it solid?
Good point, the plastic clip which locks it in place is broken off
Unread 09-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #21
DTR
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTR

Good point, the plastic clip which locks it in place is broken off
Well so far so good, I just install the O2 sensor. Jeep Seems to be running good but idling a little higher than normal around 950. Check engine light did come on right after I started it, I turn it off then restarted it and so far it has stayed off...we'll see what happens. Thanks again for all your valuable input
Unread 09-18-2013, 07:30 PM   #22
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

950 is about right when its cold, see what it does when it gets good and warm. The light came on but there is no codes?
Unread 09-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #23
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

How did you figure the o2 sensor was bad? I usual ask because the symptom is a difference between the way it runs hot and cold. Did you disconnect the battery after you replaced the sensor?
Unread 09-18-2013, 10:58 PM   #24
DTR
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
How did you figure the o2 sensor was bad? I usual ask because the symptom is a difference between the way it runs hot and cold. Did you disconnect the battery after you replaced the sensor?

The light did come back on but this time I have no starting issues after it is hot. Getting error 24 again...I ordered a new tps. Hope this fixes it, seems to run ok
Unread 09-19-2013, 04:32 AM   #25
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ok. Tps should do it.
Unread 09-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #26
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Have you checked for vacuum leaks as well. When I did my engine swap (Que and Pete got me through it) I broke a vac line and was having trouble finding a replacment as it was the molded line. Soooo I capped it off on the throttle body until I could find a new one. Capping it off caused me to keep getting the code for the TPS. Once I made a vac line to fit it and reset the ECM no more code and she has run flawlessly since.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 12:45 PM   #27
DTR
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283
Have you checked for vacuum leaks as well. When I did my engine swap (Que and Pete got me through it) I broke a vac line and was having trouble finding a replacment as it was the molded line. Soooo I capped it off on the throttle body until I could find a new one. Capping it off caused me to keep getting the code for the TPS. Once I made a vac line to fit it and reset the ECM no more code and she has run flawlessly since.
Thank you Siva...so I went and inspected all of my vacuum Lines and I did not see any physical cracks . I disconnected the vacuum line that runs off the manifold to the firewall and plugged it. Restarted the engine the check engine light did not even come on this time, what is the purpose of this vacuum line? And is it needed...seems like all my heater controls work properly image-557589682.jpg Also the white cap you see is a plug… I installed a positive lock a while back Is it just a coincidence the light went off after I blocked this vacuum line… Would this cause the check engine light not to show error 24 I appreciate everybody's help, thank you so much
Unread 09-19-2013, 01:22 PM   #28
DTR
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTR
Thank you Siva...so I went and inspected all of my vacuum Lines and I did not see any physical cracks . I disconnected the vacuum line that runs off the manifold to the firewall and plugged it. Restarted the engine the check engine light did not even come on this time, what is the purpose of this vacuum line? And is it needed...seems like all my heater controls work properly Also the white cap you see is a plug… I installed a positive lock a while back Is it just a coincidence the light went off after I blocked this vacuum line… Would this cause the check engine light not to show error 24 I appreciate everybody's help, thank you so much

Scratch my last posting...

Went back out to check the engine again, the check engine light stayed on so looks like I'm back to step one with the Error code 24. When I first started it I was getting lots of fluctuation in the engine idle like it was surging then dying almost then surging and dying...eventually it leveled out but the check engine light is still on.

I have a new TPS sensor on order should be here tomorrow.
Unread 09-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #29
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

DTR did you ever check the resistance or voltage on the tps. There are many youtube videos on doing it. This thread has how to test it:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/t...p-asap-349207/
Unread 09-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #30
DTR
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
DTR did you ever check the resistance or voltage on the tps. There are many youtube videos on doing it. This thread has how to test it: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/t...p-asap-349207/
No do not have one, and don't know how to use one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.