Have you ever seen this before...starting issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Have you ever seen this before...starting issues

August special - FREE XJ Unibody stiffeners when you buy a~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!

Unread 09-07-2013, 12:32 PM   #1
DTR
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I am in need of some forum advice.

Ok...the jeep seems to be running and driving good but then the check light will come on and if i turn off the ignition it does not want to start again...just keep turning over and over...nothing.

Now, if I let it sit for 5-10 mins it will start again and in most cases the check engine light will come back on and repeat the same pattern (engine light on...turn off ignition and then wait 5-10mins to start again).

I have tried reading the engine trouble codes but I can't make any sense out of them.

Is this a fuel related issue...its like its not getting any fuel or perhaps too much fuel after its been turned off then back on.

Is there some type of reset that occurs in 5-10 mins after it has been turned off?

Anybody experience this scenario?

1993 2.5L manual 77k

Last edited by DTR; 09-07-2013 at 12:47 PM..
DTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Can you get the code number? If you post it here someone will be able to help you out much better.

Not me. Because well most of the work done to mine consisted of removing most anything with a sensor, or cutting the unused wired to the diagnostic plug. LOL

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

There isn't any kind of reset. What codes do you get, even if it makes no sense? Also: does it happen only when it warms up? Far as the fuel goes, the pressure should be 31 PSI at idle, 39 PSI with the vacuum line unhooked from the regulator. You can rent the fuel pressure tester at Autozone, or buy the kit from Harbor Freight pretty cheap.
Unread 09-07-2013, 01:20 PM   #4
DTR
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo3489
Can you get the code number? If you post it here someone will be able to help you out much better.

Not me. Because well most of the work done to mine consisted of removing most anything with a sensor, or cutting the unused wired to the diagnostic plug. LOL
Have attached the link to the engine code... took a video let me know if you can figure out what code this is showing thanks again for the help

YouTube (Short URL)
?start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

I can see 12 and 55 I just don't know what's between them
Unread 09-07-2013, 04:29 PM   #5
DTR
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete1991YJ
There isn't any kind of reset. What codes do you get, even if it makes no sense? Also: does it happen only when it warms up? Far as the fuel goes, the pressure should be 31 PSI at idle, 39 PSI with the vacuum line unhooked from the regulator. You can rent the fuel pressure tester at Autozone, or buy the kit from Harbor Freight pretty cheap.
Hi,

Yes I only have this issue after the jeep is warmed up after driving around. I still get the engine light when the engine is cold, but I am able to immediately started up without any issues. Once the Engine light kicks on the engine seems to stumble for a second and then catches itself and runs fine.
Unread 09-08-2013, 06:44 AM   #6
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTR View Post
Hi,

Yes I only have this issue after the jeep is warmed up after driving around. I still get the engine light when the engine is cold, but I am able to immediately started up without any issues. Once the Engine light kicks on the engine seems to stumble for a second and then catches itself and runs fine.
Thanks, that is a *huge* help. Usually that means the oxygen sensor is bad, because the computer won't read it until the engine is warmed up. The other code is probably a 33 but I would think there would be a o2 sensor code also.
Unread 09-08-2013, 07:47 AM   #7
DTR
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Thanks, that is a *huge* help. Usually that means the oxygen sensor is bad, because the computer won't read it until the engine is warmed up. The other code is probably a 33 but I would think there would be a o2 sensor code also.
How many O2 sensors are there? How can I tell which 1 is bad?
Unread 09-08-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTR View Post
How many O2 sensors are there? How can I tell which 1 is bad?
There's only one. Make sure the terminals are clean and pack them with dielectric grease when you put it all back together. I think the wrench size is 1-1/8 and its in the exhaust downpipe, like right next door to the oil pan on the drivers side.
Unread 09-08-2013, 03:37 PM   #9
DTR
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

There's only one. Make sure the terminals are clean and pack them with dielectric grease when you put it all back together. I think the wrench size is 1-1/8 and its in the exhaust downpipe, like right next door to the oil pan on the drivers side.
Thanks...I will order a new 1. The one of the vehicle looks like it is 20 yrs old. Any brand better than the others?
Unread 09-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #10
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Bosch
Unread 09-08-2013, 06:25 PM   #11
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj View Post
Bosch
X2, Bosch. I think most of the original electrics on the YJ's were made by Bosch when they were new.
Unread 09-09-2013, 04:14 AM   #12
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

When it won't start disconnect the battery for 10 seconds and try it. It resets the ecu. If it starts then post back.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #13
DTR
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
When it won't start disconnect the battery for 10 seconds and try it. It resets the ecu. If it starts then post back.
Yes it will start back up after disconnecting the battery. But then I get the engine light immediately.

Looks like I am getting a 12, 33, 24 and 55.

Is 24 the only code to be concerned with?

24 - Fault in the throttle postion sensor circuit

I am I safe to say it's bad?

Seems to be idling ok but once I give it some gas it hesitates and sputters.
Unread 09-11-2013, 07:18 PM   #14
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yes. You might want to clean the iac while you are doing the tps. Look on YouTube for doing both.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #15
DTR
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
Yes. You might want to clean the iac while you are doing the tps. Look on YouTube for doing both.
I already cleaned the IAC a few weeks ago...I wonder if I messed up the TPS...I cleaned it also.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.