Have you ever seen this before...starting issues - JeepForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 Old 09-07-2013, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
DTR
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: GILBERT
Posts: 46
I am in need of some forum advice.

Ok...the jeep seems to be running and driving good but then the check light will come on and if i turn off the ignition it does not want to start again...just keep turning over and over...nothing.

Now, if I let it sit for 5-10 mins it will start again and in most cases the check engine light will come back on and repeat the same pattern (engine light on...turn off ignition and then wait 5-10mins to start again).

I have tried reading the engine trouble codes but I can't make any sense out of them.

Is this a fuel related issue...its like its not getting any fuel or perhaps too much fuel after its been turned off then back on.

Is there some type of reset that occurs in 5-10 mins after it has been turned off?


Anybody experience this scenario?


1993 2.5L manual 77k


Last edited by DTR; 09-07-2013 at 12:47 PM.
DTR is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 35 Old 09-07-2013, 12:51 PM
rambo3489
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,704
Can you get the code number? If you post it here someone will be able to help you out much better.

Not me. Because well most of the work done to mine consisted of removing most anything with a sensor, or cutting the unused wired to the diagnostic plug. LOL

89 YJ.. My first jeep and I won't let it go. ▀||||▀

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

<a href="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941">BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY</a>
rambo3489 is offline  
post #3 of 35 Old 09-07-2013, 12:53 PM
pete1991YJ
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Niagara Falls
Posts: 1,876
There isn't any kind of reset. What codes do you get, even if it makes no sense? Also: does it happen only when it warms up? Far as the fuel goes, the pressure should be 31 PSI at idle, 39 PSI with the vacuum line unhooked from the regulator. You can rent the fuel pressure tester at Autozone, or buy the kit from Harbor Freight pretty cheap.

***--- Wrecking Crew member ---***
"I've prolly been around longer than you think"
pete1991YJ is offline  
post #4 of 35 Old 09-07-2013, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
DTR
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: GILBERT
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo3489
Can you get the code number? If you post it here someone will be able to help you out much better.

Not me. Because well most of the work done to mine consisted of removing most anything with a sensor, or cutting the unused wired to the diagnostic plug. LOL
Have attached the link to the engine code... took a video let me know if you can figure out what code this is showing thanks again for the help



I can see 12 and 55 I just don't know what's between them
DTR is offline  
post #5 of 35 Old 09-07-2013, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
DTR
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: GILBERT
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete1991YJ
There isn't any kind of reset. What codes do you get, even if it makes no sense? Also: does it happen only when it warms up? Far as the fuel goes, the pressure should be 31 PSI at idle, 39 PSI with the vacuum line unhooked from the regulator. You can rent the fuel pressure tester at Autozone, or buy the kit from Harbor Freight pretty cheap.
Hi,

Yes I only have this issue after the jeep is warmed up after driving around. I still get the engine light when the engine is cold, but I am able to immediately started up without any issues. Once the Engine light kicks on the engine seems to stumble for a second and then catches itself and runs fine.
DTR is offline  
post #6 of 35 Old 09-08-2013, 06:44 AM
pete1991YJ
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Niagara Falls
Posts: 1,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTR View Post
Hi,

Yes I only have this issue after the jeep is warmed up after driving around. I still get the engine light when the engine is cold, but I am able to immediately started up without any issues. Once the Engine light kicks on the engine seems to stumble for a second and then catches itself and runs fine.
Thanks, that is a *huge* help. Usually that means the oxygen sensor is bad, because the computer won't read it until the engine is warmed up. The other code is probably a 33 but I would think there would be a o2 sensor code also.

***--- Wrecking Crew member ---***
"I've prolly been around longer than you think"
pete1991YJ is offline  
post #7 of 35 Old 09-08-2013, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
DTR
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: GILBERT
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete1991YJ

Thanks, that is a *huge* help. Usually that means the oxygen sensor is bad, because the computer won't read it until the engine is warmed up. The other code is probably a 33 but I would think there would be a o2 sensor code also.
How many O2 sensors are there? How can I tell which 1 is bad?
DTR is offline  
post #8 of 35 Old 09-08-2013, 01:54 PM
pete1991YJ
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Niagara Falls
Posts: 1,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTR View Post
How many O2 sensors are there? How can I tell which 1 is bad?
There's only one. Make sure the terminals are clean and pack them with dielectric grease when you put it all back together. I think the wrench size is 1-1/8 and its in the exhaust downpipe, like right next door to the oil pan on the drivers side.

***--- Wrecking Crew member ---***
"I've prolly been around longer than you think"
pete1991YJ is offline  
post #9 of 35 Old 09-08-2013, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
DTR
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: GILBERT
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete1991YJ

There's only one. Make sure the terminals are clean and pack them with dielectric grease when you put it all back together. I think the wrench size is 1-1/8 and its in the exhaust downpipe, like right next door to the oil pan on the drivers side.
Thanks...I will order a new 1. The one of the vehicle looks like it is 20 yrs old. Any brand better than the others?
DTR is offline  
post #10 of 35 Old 09-08-2013, 03:49 PM
superj
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: corpus christi
Posts: 7,057
Bosch

I don't feel like working on anything, at this time.
superj is offline  
post #11 of 35 Old 09-08-2013, 06:25 PM
pete1991YJ
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Niagara Falls
Posts: 1,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by superj View Post
Bosch
X2, Bosch. I think most of the original electrics on the YJ's were made by Bosch when they were new.

***--- Wrecking Crew member ---***
"I've prolly been around longer than you think"
pete1991YJ is offline  
post #12 of 35 Old 09-09-2013, 04:14 AM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Detroit
Posts: 21,078
When it won't start disconnect the battery for 10 seconds and try it. It resets the ecu. If it starts then post back.
Que89YJ is offline  
post #13 of 35 Old 09-11-2013, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
DTR
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: GILBERT
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
When it won't start disconnect the battery for 10 seconds and try it. It resets the ecu. If it starts then post back.
Yes it will start back up after disconnecting the battery. But then I get the engine light immediately.

Looks like I am getting a 12, 33, 24 and 55.

Is 24 the only code to be concerned with?

24 - Fault in the throttle postion sensor circuit

I am I safe to say it's bad?

Seems to be idling ok but once I give it some gas it hesitates and sputters.
DTR is offline  
post #14 of 35 Old 09-11-2013, 07:18 PM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Detroit
Posts: 21,078
Yes. You might want to clean the iac while you are doing the tps. Look on YouTube for doing both.
Que89YJ is offline  
post #15 of 35 Old 09-11-2013, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
DTR
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: GILBERT
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
Yes. You might want to clean the iac while you are doing the tps. Look on YouTube for doing both.
I already cleaned the IAC a few weeks ago...I wonder if I messed up the TPS...I cleaned it also.
DTR is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome