have a leaky transfer case by the trans. will i blow the case if i run out of fluid? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > have a leaky transfer case by the trans. will i blow the case if i run out of fluid?

New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-08-2010, 05:36 AM   #16
trucknut
1994 YJ Wrangler 

ahh the impossible to stop leaking Tcase.... i overfill mine every 7 days... i call it the YJ's bladder cause it marks its territory where ever it goes... the Exxon Valdez has nothing on my rolling environmental disaster!

I have been running it this way for 2 years now... keep it topped up and you should be fine

My Save the YJ from the junkyard project...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-94-rebuild-thread-747404/

2001 Toyota Tundra TRD
trucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2010, 06:03 AM   #17
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Uh, why not just drop the transfer case and change the seal?

Unread 05-08-2010, 06:39 AM   #18
vicker
1990 YJ Wrangler 

no its a autotrans but i know its the tcase because i havent checked the dipsyick and i havent lost anything from the autotrans but i lost a lot of fluid. must be tcase
vicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2010, 09:06 AM   #19
trucknut
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMaiden View Post
Uh, why not just drop the transfer case and change the seal?

Uh... dropped 3 times, its the seam in the case, if you know anything about the np231 you would be aware that there is no seal, just sealant between the two 1/2 cases.. the case has suffered damage and is impossible to seal properly... so Ironmaiden if you have some time on your hands i welcome you to "just drop the case" and change the imaginary seal

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=747404

2001 Toyota Tundra TRD
Unread 05-08-2010, 09:38 AM   #20
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I like my idea better of using the windshield washer container better, but after giving this some careful consideration and a lot of thought. I think it may just work by keeping the windshield washer container under the hood, and simply running a line under the jeep to the fill hole of the transfer case from the washer container. this would alleviate the possibility of spillage in the cab, and also has the added benefit of just simply using the washer pump for pumping fluid into the t-case, as opposed to the gravity fed model. Also, if you are concerned about monitoring the fluid level in the container, you can simply unbolt the hood and take the hood off, and have a constant visual of the container, just by moving your body forward, and up in the cab, and peering down into the engine compartment while driving. this will also get that extra nice breeze flowing through the engine area as well. Its a win win deal.
Unread 05-08-2010, 09:43 AM   #21
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucknut View Post
Uh... dropped 3 times, its the seam in the case, if you know anything about the np231 you would be aware that there is no seal, just sealant between the two 1/2 cases.. the case has suffered damage and is impossible to seal properly... so Ironmaiden if you have some time on your hands i welcome you to "just drop the case" and change the imaginary seal
drop it again. the sealant is just to keep the dirt out from between the cases. the t-case has a seal built into the front input bearing retainer. part number 52119.01 or .03 from quadratec.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2010, 09:45 AM   #22
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Obviously you've never changed an "imaginary" input shaft seal before.

I'm looking at 3 different "imaginary" seals right now on some spare NP231 and an NP242 transfer cases.

Maybe I'm just "imagining" things......

Unread 05-08-2010, 09:55 AM   #23
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Actualy there is a gasket where you are talking about..at the split of the case,the factory didn't just put sillycone there .
If it's damaged enough that it won't seal then it should be visible before even attemptin to put it back together..cracked case,scarred up face of the split where it goes together causing leakage,stripped bolts so it won't tighten and seal right...etc.
There is also a seal on the front of it where it bolts to the trans at the shaft...also 2 seals in the rear of it where it bolts to the driveshaft..one internal..one at the driveshaft.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2010, 11:30 AM   #24
2wheelmatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You may want to consider that it might be the rear output seal from the tranny. When I bought my jeep the previous owner had overfilled the tranny so every time I went to check the tranny fluid it was full. It was slowly coming out of the tranny though. It took me a while to pinpoint just where the leak was coming from though. Once everything would get wet from the leak, it was really difficult to tell where the mess came from.
2wheelmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2010, 11:34 AM   #25
djsmith1174
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshinefuel View Post
I like my idea better of using the windshield washer container better, but after giving this some careful consideration and a lot of thought. I think it may just work by keeping the windshield washer container under the hood, and simply running a line under the jeep to the fill hole of the transfer case from the washer container. this would alleviate the possibility of spillage in the cab, and also has the added benefit of just simply using the washer pump for pumping fluid into the t-case, as opposed to the gravity fed model. Also, if you are concerned about monitoring the fluid level in the container, you can simply unbolt the hood and take the hood off, and have a constant visual of the container, just by moving your body forward, and up in the cab, and peering down into the engine compartment while driving. this will also get that extra nice breeze flowing through the engine area as well. Its a win win deal.
Definitely sounds like the easiest fix. Are folks on here getting envious of the responses over on Pirate?
djsmith1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2010, 11:50 AM   #26
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerman View Post
Taught by Rube Goldberg! LOL
That was dead on, lol.
Unread 05-08-2010, 02:16 PM   #27
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsmith1174 View Post
Definitely sounds like the easiest fix. Are folks on here getting envious of the responses over on Pirate?

Wait,this is over on Pirate too?

I'll bet their showin' some love over there.....

I gotta see the thread over there. Do you have a link?

Unread 05-08-2010, 06:06 PM   #28
trucknut
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinal02 View Post
drop it again. the sealant is just to keep the dirt out from between the cases. the t-case has a seal built into the front input bearing retainer. part number 52119.01 or .03 from quadratec.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMaiden View Post
Obviously you've never changed an "imaginary" input shaft seal before.

I'm looking at 3 different "imaginary" seals right now on some spare NP231 and an NP242 transfer cases.

Maybe I'm just "imagining" things......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
Actualy there is a gasket where you are talking about..at the split of the case,the factory didn't just put sillycone there .
If it's damaged enough that it won't seal then it should be visible before even attemptin to put it back together..cracked case,scarred up face of the split where it goes together causing leakage,stripped bolts so it won't tighten and seal right...etc.
There is also a seal on the front of it where it bolts to the trans at the shaft...also 2 seals in the rear of it where it bolts to the driveshaft..one internal..one at the driveshaft.

mine is not leaking at input or output shafts, it is leaking at the actual seam in the case, the one that seperates the front 1/2 from the back... there is no seal there, just gasket sealant at least not in the two that i have here... case is scared where it joins together close to the drain plug

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=747404

2001 Toyota Tundra TRD
Unread 05-08-2010, 06:26 PM   #29
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
mine is not leaking at input or output shafts, it is leaking at the actual seam in the case, the one that seperates the front 1/2 from the back... there is no seal there, just gasket sealant at least not in the two that i have here... case is scared where it joins together close to the drain plug
the only way to get fluid in that area is either for your input seal on the t-case to be leaking, or for the output seal of the tranny to be leaking. if you're getting fluid out of the mating seam, then one of those seals is leaking and it's filling the space between the two cases with fluid.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2010, 06:50 PM   #30
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinal02 View Post
the only way to get fluid in that area is either for your input seal on the t-case to be leaking, or for the output seal of the tranny to be leaking. if you're getting fluid out of the mating seam, then one of those seals is leaking and it's filling the space between the two cases with fluid.
The transfer casing is 2 peices,thats where he is talking about i THINK anyhow...lol...AND..where i TRIED to explain in my first response to him the reasons why it would be leaking..lol

trucknut...if both of you're transfer cases you speak of has no gaskets..and only silicone there..then someone has been into it before,they came with gaskets from the factory..since you said the face is scarred up..try this...

There is really no fluid pressure inside the T-case..so get some thick gasket material and cut one to fit and get some gasket maker in a tube just like silicone comes in(it's a dark brown and very thick type silicone.and sticks to everything),use that to smear thick on both sides of the gasket you cut for it..put it together and let dry over night before filling with fluids and using it.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.