hauling a trailer. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > hauling a trailer.

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Oconee Offroad Sales Tech are Available To Help!Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, Disc

Unread 02-10-2013, 11:09 PM   #16
PrinothPro
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It will be fine, I hauled this trailer from Boston to Salt lake in 5 days, went thur hellish headwind and snowstorms. It will be just fine.

PrinothPro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #17
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Not a problem, I had a 5x8 trailer built just for camping, loaded with a weeks camping gear and ice chests it carried four of us 9000+ feet to or campsite in the Sierras.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #18
140mower
1989 YJ Wrangler 

As others have said, take your time, leave lots of room between you and the car in front and you'll be fine. Should actually make for a fun trip, our last couple trips out generated quite a few looks and raised eyeballs, but no oh-my-god moments, mind you not much time spent in the left lane either.
719.jpg  
Unread 02-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #19
jakemerritt
2007 JK Wrangler 

Most of you have 6cyl I'm running a 4cyl and I'll be hauling half the weight so I should be good.

OIIIIIO
Unread 02-11-2013, 12:04 PM   #20
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakemerritt View Post
Most of you have 6cyl I'm running a 4cyl and I'll be hauling half the weight so I should be good.

OIIIIIO
The motor isn't the limfac for YJ towing.

Its the wheelbase and brakes.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #21
Jeepsr4me

Do not try this in Florida. You will be seeing blue lights. The dot gets bent all out of shape with over loaded vehicles. They will break out the scales and be checking your dot stickers for the gvw.
Buddy was towing his mud truck just a few miles on the interstate with a 1/2 ton truck. Well DOT got him and said he was over loaded, lacked rear brakes and all other crap. You are not just taking your life in your hands when you do stupid **** like this. You are taking the mom and fathers and kids next to you.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #22
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

full gross weight of the trailer and a CBR1000 would be about 800lbs. You should have no problem towing it. Get the longest tongue you can to keep it from wagging the dog and if you want to get fancy you can add a hundred lbs or so to build a trailer fairing but it isn't needed.
vadslram is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #23
Hghgrad
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I towed my 2 jet skis a few times with the 2.5. Not exactly breaking any land speed records, but if you've got time it'll be fine. 800lbs is like having 3 friends riding with you
Unread 02-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #24
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hghgrad View Post
I towed my 2 jet skis a few times with the 2.5. Not exactly breaking any land speed records, but if you've got time it'll be fine. 800lbs is like having 3 friends riding with you
3 big *** friends maybe.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #25
140mower
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Do not try this in Florida. You will be seeing blue lights. The dot gets bent all out of shape with over loaded vehicles. They will break out the scales and be checking your dot stickers for the gvw.
Buddy was towing his mud truck just a few miles on the interstate with a 1/2 ton truck. Well DOT got him and said he was over loaded, lacked rear brakes and all other crap. You are not just taking your life in your hands when you do stupid **** like this. You are taking the mom and fathers and kids next to you.
Hmm, 2200 lbs trailer, weight distributing hitch on Jeep, equalizer hitch and load bars on trailer, electric trailer brakes and a properly balanced load equals a safe adventure. Just because your buddy has no sense of what he's doing or what is required doesn't mean the rest of the world needs to suffer. Yes, technically I was 200 lbs over weight, but that certainly didn't make it unsafe, hell I know several people that are 200 lbs over weight and nobody seems to want to ticket them. And yes, I drive for a living and have been doing so accident free for over 20 years now, and not to worry, Florida isn't on my bucket list.
Before calling someone stupid, perhaps try asking how things are done safely, you might learn something, or not.
Unread 02-11-2013, 07:02 PM   #26
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

images.jpeg  
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 09:58 PM   #27
Jeepsr4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by 140mower View Post
Hmm, 2200 lbs trailer, weight distributing hitch on Jeep, equalizer hitch and load bars on trailer, electric trailer brakes and a properly balanced load equals a safe adventure. Just because your buddy has no sense of what he's doing or what is required doesn't mean the rest of the world needs to suffer. Yes, technically I was 200 lbs over weight, but that certainly didn't make it unsafe, hell I know several people that are 200 lbs over weight and nobody seems to want to ticket them. And yes, I drive for a living and have been doing so accident free for over 20 years now, and not to worry, Florida isn't on my bucket list.
Before calling someone stupid, perhaps try asking how things are done safely, you might learn something, or not.
I stand by what I said. You are stupid and doing a stupid thing for taking a OVER loaded jeep and putting others in danger. Wind load alone would give you **** fits. And a passing Big rig will load and unload that trailer. And just come on down if you want to take a ticket off your bucket list. Cause they will hook and book your ***.

And Ripper Are you 10?
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 10:43 PM   #28
140mower
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Really? All this bother over 200 lbs, and that's with the tanks full, which they weren't. Trust me we went by a lot of semis etc. and guess what? No issues, nope, none, not one. Did you ever consider that maybe keeping the speed down and driving defensively would work? I'm not sure why you think it's so massivly over-loaded, they (Jeeps) are rated for a 2000lbs trailer, and no mention of brakes or hitch requirements in the manual. Like I said, the trailer is 2200lbs Gvw(loaded) not tare(empty) and with that in mind we kept the tanks empty while travelling. Would I do it in the snow- no, but we have hit some good rains and wind and it handled no worse than any other trailer combo, again you adjust for the weather. Sheesh, some people.
Unread 02-12-2013, 12:03 AM   #29
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me

And Ripper Are you 10?
I must be because I found that to be incredibly hilarious.
Unread 02-12-2013, 07:59 AM   #30
jakemerritt
2007 JK Wrangler 

Well good thing I'll only be hauling 1000 lbs at the most. My bike is only 410 wet. If I can find an aluminum trailer I'll be set.

OIIIIIO

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.