hauling a trailer. - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 02-10-2013, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
jakemerritt
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: mt pleasant
Posts: 237
hauling a trailer.

Wanting to buy a single axle trailer to haul my Honda CBR. I have stock leaf springs you think it will handle it? The ol 2.5l does pretty good but idk.

OIIIIIO


OIIIIIO
jakemerritt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 32 Old 02-10-2013, 11:42 AM
WakeDoctor
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 708
Defiantly not. You are going to need a cummins turbo diesel with a banks chip and a EGR temp gauge. But I'd probably do it with the YJ

How far are you pulling?
WakeDoctor is offline  
post #3 of 32 Old 02-10-2013, 11:43 AM
dillonjm
Registered User
2013 WK 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Wichita Falls, TX
Posts: 4,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeDoctor View Post
Defiantly not. You are going to need a cummins turbo diesel with a banks chip and a EGR temp gauge. But I'd probably do it with the YJ

How far are you pulling?
You deserve to be smacked for using a banks chip on a Cummins. And its EGT gauge not EGR.

FWIW I appreciate the humor though!

13 GC Overland - (Wife's DD) 5.7, stock
Past Jeeps: 99TJ, 78CJ7, 91YJ, 01WJ, 03TJ, 05KJ
dillonjm is offline  
post #4 of 32 Old 02-10-2013, 11:57 AM
jhartley
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: maysville
Posts: 171
I have pulled a riding lawn mower with mine probally weighed 500 lbs with a 4x6 trailer it did fine but I have the 4.0. My buddy he has loaded down a 5x8 trailer with fire wood he said it pulled great
jhartley is offline  
post #5 of 32 Old 02-10-2013, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
jakemerritt
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: mt pleasant
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeDoctor View Post
Defiantly not. You are going to need a cummins turbo diesel with a banks chip and a EGR temp gauge. But I'd probably do it with the YJ

How far are you pulling?
Well I'm looking to go to Florida. Haha I know I know. Well right now I don't have enough to buy a cummins and i don't wanna sell the jeep. I have been saving for one tho!

OIIIIIO

OIIIIIO
jakemerritt is offline  
post #6 of 32 Old 02-10-2013, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
jakemerritt
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: mt pleasant
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartley View Post
I have pulled a riding lawn mower with mine probally weighed 500 lbs with a 4x6 trailer it did fine but I have the 4.0. My buddy he has loaded down a 5x8 trailer with fire wood he said it pulled great
Well that's about all my bike weighs. So it could last short trips!

OIIIIIO

OIIIIIO
jakemerritt is offline  
post #7 of 32 Old 02-10-2013, 12:07 PM
Ripper3494
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Warrenville
Posts: 5,741
ive pulled a double jetski trailer with my yj when i had my 4 cyl it was fine, slow but fine

build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/9...-spud-1218315/
1994 yj stretched, locked and loaded - 6.0l vortec lq4, 4l60e, np231, Dana 44s 37" interco trxus m/t, 3.5" bds front leafs, double triangulated 4 link rear on xj front coils.
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/a...te-up-1301614/
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/t...ation-1417686/
RC vs BDS
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/r...s-bds-1461555/
Ripper3494 is offline  
post #8 of 32 Old 02-10-2013, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
jakemerritt
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: mt pleasant
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonjm View Post

You deserve to be smacked for using a banks chip on a Cummins. And its EGT gauge not EGR.

FWIW I appreciate the humor though!
I'm assuming you're an EFI live type of guy?

OIIIIIO

OIIIIIO
jakemerritt is offline  
post #9 of 32 Old 02-10-2013, 12:11 PM
dillonjm
Registered User
2013 WK 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Wichita Falls, TX
Posts: 4,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakemerritt View Post
I'm assuming you're an EFI live type of guy?

OIIIIIO
No, haven't made that leap. Still running Smarty tuning, mostly to keep the computer happy, that and it doesn't billow smoke even at the 200hp / 400 ft/lbs level.

As for your question, I wouldn't sweat the suspension stuff so much, just give yourself ample braking distance and make sure your combined trailer weight is below 1500lbs (which I don't know why it wouldn't be).

The issue with Jeep towing is the short wheelbase and not having large brakes.

13 GC Overland - (Wife's DD) 5.7, stock
Past Jeeps: 99TJ, 78CJ7, 91YJ, 01WJ, 03TJ, 05KJ
dillonjm is offline  
post #10 of 32 Old 02-10-2013, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
jakemerritt
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: mt pleasant
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonjm View Post

No, haven't made that leap. Still running Smarty tuning, mostly to keep the computer happy, that and it doesn't billow smoke even at the 200hp / 400 ft/lbs level.

As for your question, I wouldn't sweat the suspension stuff so much, just give yourself ample braking distance and make sure your combined trailer weight is below 1500lbs (which I don't know why it wouldn't be).

The issue with Jeep towing is the short wheelbase and not having large brakes.
Well I tried to move a 18ft car trailer and that was a no go. My realty leafs went from small positive curve to huge negative bend!

That's gonna be my next big purchase is a cummins. I got my eye on a 96 cummins 6 speed. All stock but for a 4 in lift. So for right now I just read all I can in magazines!

OIIIIIO

OIIIIIO
jakemerritt is offline  
post #11 of 32 Old 02-10-2013, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
jakemerritt
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: mt pleasant
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper3494 View Post
ive pulled a double jetski trailer with my yj when i had my 4 cyl it was fine, slow but fine
Good to know! I should be lighter than that I hope!

OIIIIIO

OIIIIIO
jakemerritt is offline  
post #12 of 32 Old 02-10-2013, 12:44 PM
PastorBrian
Registered User
1976 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 150
I haul a trailer every weekend. About 5x8 utility. 4 squirrels no issues. I even put 2500# of stone on it (wasn't paying attention). The trailer didn't like it. Jeep was fine. Go for it.
PastorBrian is offline  
post #13 of 32 Old 02-10-2013, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
jakemerritt
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: mt pleasant
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorBrian View Post
I haul a trailer every weekend. About 5x8 utility. 4 squirrels no issues. I even put 2500# of stone on it (wasn't paying attention). The trailer didn't like it. Jeep was fine. Go for it.
Stock leaf springs?

OIIIIIO

OIIIIIO
jakemerritt is offline  
post #14 of 32 Old 02-10-2013, 01:01 PM
Jeepsr4me
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 8,831
Could get a set of rear air shocks to help balance the jeep out. I had a set on for years. Loved them
Jeepsr4me is offline  
post #15 of 32 Old 02-10-2013, 01:43 PM
PastorBrian
Registered User
1976 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 150
Was, yes. The stone was on my RC 4" lift springs on my last jeep. My new one had stockers and had no issue. I have an s10 bastard pack now. My parents hauled a trailer loaded with 3-4 mowers behind their 77 cj5. That trailer is a beast too, 15' and way overbuilt.
PastorBrian is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome