Has this happened to anyone? Somebody give me some hope, please. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Has this happened to anyone? Somebody give me some hope, please.

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-28-2010, 11:57 AM   #1
jeep95riogrande
2008 XK Commander 

Has this happened to anyone? Somebody give me some hope, please.

I've had my '95 for about 4 years and have literally not had one problem until now.

I realized she was leaking an incredible amount of antifreeze from the hood and took it out to my mechanic. Opened the hood and there was coppery, I guess antifreeze, liquid sprayed all over the engine and leaking down the firewall.

My mechanic looked at it a bit and he said the freeze plug on the head blew straight off and that was where the antifreeze was shooting out from. Also, because of the pressure the seal on top of the radiator blew and that was why there was antifreeze all over my fenders and everything.

He hasn't gotten back to me since he loooked at it for a few secs. Basically, I guess I'm just wondering if I'm screwed or if this won't be the end of the world. Thanks!

jeep95riogrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 12:15 PM   #2
MWguy101
1995 YJ Wrangler 

What is the freeze plug? If your radiator has damage then its a good time to get a new one. You really do not have to upgrade much on it unless your running a 350.

Your cooling system only has a few parts.
The radiator and cap
Sensor
Thermostat
Thermostat housing
Water pump
Rubber lines
hose claimps
gaskets
Fan

There is not much more two it. You can replace the whole system for around $250 or so.

I had to replace my whole cooling system because the redneck I bought it from put something in my radiator and clogged it up. I did all the work myself with the help of a friend. It was not hard at all. I got the following things:

CSF Radiator - $110 online
Radiator cap -$5
Sensor - $20
160 Theromostate - $20
Electric Taurus fan - junk yard for $15
Harness and wiring kit - $20
Water pump - $35
Hose clamps - $5

Now my jeep run consistantly around 130 degrees. Before It would stay around 210 degrees.
Unread 07-28-2010, 12:15 PM   #3
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Is the freeze plug on the back of the head? I can't remember. I would get a new radiator and freeze plug and see what happens.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 12:18 PM   #4
hevybluzer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like it was over pressurized. Perhaps from a "boil". Water pump working? Radiator clogged??? cooling system plugged somewhere???? Radiator cap faulty???? Fan not rotating??????Bad head or head gasket????????? All or any combination of the above???? Depends on what component has issues and how much collateral damage was done due to overheating. A good mechanic should be able to tell what "failed" without too much trouble. I've seen freeze plugs fail due to plain old rot but when you add a radiator failure it opens all kinds of possibilities.
hevybluzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 01:06 PM   #5
jeep95riogrande
2008 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
Is the freeze plug on the back of the head? I can't remember. I would get a new radiator and freeze plug and see what happens.
Yea, he said it was on the back of the head. He said it looked like it just coroded and blew right out. It is about 3 inches from the friewall, which is the problem because you can't get your hands in there. He said the motor may have to be lifted to put the new freeze plug in.
Unread 07-28-2010, 01:37 PM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The freeze plug is no big deal at all. Its just a couple of dollars. There is no way the radiator would go because of a freeze plug. You would push the pressure out of the overflow. The opposite might be true if you ran it hot with a bad radiator. If you are still on the original radiator you are probably due anyways. Replace the thermostat and have him flush the coolant system(He should do it when replacing a freeze plug anyways) and you should be good to go.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 03:31 PM   #7
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Agreed. If the pressure was high enough to pop a freeze-out plug, there would be no pressure left to split the core of a radiator.

Suggest you clean up and then fill with water and eyeball for what is busted. You can do a pressure test, too, but that is kind of pointless if your rad it already known leaking.
plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 05:54 PM   #8
JasonRumler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You said that the fluid was coppery? That is usally rust. Based on what you are saying, I would suggest overhauling the cooling system. None of the parts are that expensive and most of them are easy to replace yourself. That is one of the benifits to these older jeeps, everything is easy to get to. Before you replace your radiator or water pump or thermostat, have your mechanic backflush your cooling system for a while to get all of the rust out of it and then replace the stuff. I wouldn't imagine you spending more than $100 or so in parts to replace just about everything. Good Luck
JasonRumler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 06:10 PM   #9
K4KAS
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like the freeze plug corroded and let loose and you ran it hot which may have damaged something on the radiator. There is a replacement freeze plugs I have had luck with in past yrs, you may be able to get it into the hole instead of having to pull the engine up or remove the head to tap in a new one. It consists of a rubber plug with a bolt that runs through it. You have to get the correct size plug for the hole, insert this rubber plug, and tighten the nut that is on the outside and it pull the rubber tight against the inside of the hole.
K4KAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 06:14 PM   #10
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I had a freeze plug let loose in a Ford Explorer...it was my fault for not running proper antifreeze mixture which contains anti-corrosives. The corrosive effect eats away at the coolant passages and the freeze plugs are first thing to go. Not a big deal but you definitely want to flush everything and I agree about being a good idea to do an overhaul of cooling system.
1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
linusb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 07:14 PM   #11
fitbmxseries1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep95riogrande View Post
Yea, he said it was on the back of the head. He said it looked like it just coroded and blew right out. It is about 3 inches from the friewall, which is the problem because you can't get your hands in there. He said the motor may have to be lifted to put the new freeze plug in.
we pulled the head off of my xj to replace the freeze plug pulling the engine up a little bit really would require almost removing the whole thing to get at it. but also remeber you have a freeze plug thats under your transmission that is in close shape tot he one thats on the head!....
otherwise if it was completely gone you can replace it with a rubber freeze plug that you just tighten a nut and expand the rubber to seal the hole. And pulling the head off was a 4 hour job since it didnt need to get checked for any cracks or warpage. What probably caused this was mud built up around the plug and rusted it away i would recomend flushing it with some degreaser (or rad flush) pulling the rad completly out and having a shop drop it into a hot tank. or get a new one. Also what caused over pressurization was your rad cap failing its made to blow off at a certian PSI but when they get all crappy they dont do it at all.

also should mention the rubber freeze plugs arnt very reliable ive seen a few dry rot and fall out in a matter of a few years.
fitbmxseries1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 07:18 PM   #12
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I hate to say this but if one freeze plug blew because it was corroded from the inside out then the rest of your freeze plugs are not in much better condition.

They should be heavu duty brass but the factory installs steel ones which eventually get eating through because your anti freeze mix (like almost everyone elses) get very acidic from not being replaced.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 09:37 AM   #13
jeep95riogrande
2008 XK Commander 

Thanks guys for all the responses. I guess this gives me a chance to change out some of the old and make it new again.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.