It has begun... Yet another swap thread. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > It has begun... Yet another swap thread.

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 02-25-2007, 06:42 PM   #1
sauce90yj

It has begun... Yet another swap thread.

PICS ADDED But Now they are on page three...

I rearranged my Photobucket account... and the link got screwed up... Fixing it the easiest way for now. I will adjust later... when I have time

I bought a 4.0 on ebay last summer... Some kid wrecked his jeep after putting 500 hundred miles on freshly rebuilt engine. He hadnt removed the drivetrain yet and asked if i would take the whole thing... I of course agreed. I have sold some parts on here top help finance the swap (and I have a few more parts that will be for sale).

Friday I finally started working on my engine swap. A friend of mine works at a local boat yard and offered one of their workshops and his tools to help me swap my engine. I am really a novice... I didnt work on any vehicles before owning this jeep. I have read several great write ups (tombraider and others) as well as generally reading in the YJ section here. My friend Mike is helping me as I helped him with his CJ7 project... I should say I am continually helping him. And so is Al.

I spent an hour and half or so getting the front clip ready to pull off... Fenders, grill, rad, shroud etc... We pulled the "the dog house" early saturday morning and it is sitting in a corner waiting to go back on. It will be waiting for a while.

Then we pulled the wiring harness... Oh yeah, all the threads I read fail to remind me about how to get the dumb computer out from behind the glove box. LOL Including the two bolts(studs?) that attach to the fire wall. If you mention this in you write up about the swap i apologize for missing it and accusing you of leaving it out!

We yanked the motor, tranny and TC in one big pull, the balancer we had attached to the engine hoist was a handy tool to have!

After we cut out the old frame mounts we quit.

A huge thanks to Al B. And Mike E. for all their help. And a huge thanks to all the guys at Doyne's marina/boatyard for letting me work in their HUGE heated workshop with lots of tools available to use. Also thanks to Mike's dad for donating tools to the James Sauceda Tool Fund.... for more info on this "charity" please private message me and we will gladly take your tools! LOL

I apologive for the lack of pictures... I know... I know "worthless w/o pics" I hope to get back to the boat yard ASAP to sell the motor to a Jeepforum member and also take some pictures.

Thanks for reading!
James

leftovers (from the 4.0 swap) for sale.

Last edited by sauce90yj; 04-11-2007 at 11:22 AM..
sauce90yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2007, 07:57 PM   #2
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

good deal, and you are right, pictures please!!!!
how can we feel good about ripping our own junk apart if we cant laugh at others?
you will love the 4.0 after the 2.5......

martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2007, 11:47 AM   #3
JeepCrz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Oh yeah, all the threads I read fail to remind me about how to get the dumb computer out from behind the glove box. LOL Including the two bolts(studs?) that attach to the fire wall.
If your talking about the one already in your 90 YJ then please let me know. I left mine in! The YJ harness was so torn up when I bought it that it didn't really look like it was worth keeping so I just cut the wires I didn't need and left the computer in. One day when I take the dash out I'll pull it but hey it isn't that heavy.

Good luck with the swap. Putting a 4.0 in my 89 was the best thing I've done to it.
JeepCrz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2007, 12:39 PM   #4
sauce90yj

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCrz
If your talking about the one already in your 90 YJ then please let me know. I left mine in! The YJ harness was so torn up when I bought it that it didn't really look like it was worth keeping so I just cut the wires I didn't need and left the computer in. One day when I take the dash out I'll pull it but hey it isn't that heavy.
Funny that you left yours in.
I was trying to NOT cut the harness. I was getting ready to quit and just cut it, but my buddy figured out how to get it out!

James

Unread 02-27-2007, 04:26 PM   #5
sauce90yj

Here are some pics of the work so far...

I ran in and took a couple of quick shots, I am hoping to get back tomorrow afternoon and friday during the day.

Frame where I removed the Engine mount brackets.

I obviously havent clean them up yet... Friday??? maybe.

Front end in one piece:

Hole for the shifters...

Hole to get the old computer out:

Old Engine:

New Engine:

Unread 02-27-2007, 11:14 PM   #6
Gart79CJ

I like the advertisement for good ole' PB Blaster. Never go into a garage without it!!!
Gart79CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2007, 05:53 PM   #7
sauce90yj

Update

Well that awesome guy who is hooking me up with garage space, AL, helped me out some more.

Last night he knew his wife was busy, so he spent some time cleaning up the frame for me. One less thing for me to do.

Today I didnt get as much done as I had hoped, but since Al did what I was planning on doing... It was ok. I got the old gas tank dropped... Had free lunch, THANKS AGAIN Al, and helped load the old motor into a truck from the Jeepforum member who bought it. I hung out with him for a while talking Jeeps and trucks... Good times.

Cleaned up my mess and waited for my wife to pick me up.... LOL It is hard to wait for aride to get back and forth to the shop. I should get the keys from Mike so I can use his CJ to get back and forth when he isnt around... LOL.

But tomorrow should be a good day. My father-in-law is a certified welder, and he is going to hang with us as we weld in the new brackets. Hopefully by the end of the day tomorrow the engine will be in. But we have limited time at the shop this weekend... So we will see.

I will have more pics tomorrow.

Unread 03-02-2007, 08:52 PM   #8
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

not to put anyone down, but will you promise me that you will replace all those twist wire connectors with crimp connectors and heat shrink tubing???
looked kinda scary all those wires coming thru the tranny tunnel with the twist connectors on them all.......
martin
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324622

Choose wisely!
Unread 03-02-2007, 10:16 PM   #9
sauce90yj

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftlanetruckin
not to put anyone down, but will you promise me that you will replace all those twist wire connectors with crimp connectors and heat shrink tubing???
looked kinda scary all those wires coming thru the tranny tunnel with the twist connectors on them all.......
martin

That is the Ghetto Fabulous radio wire job.! I am pulling that mess. But it is all tangled up the way the speakers are hooked in and all that. The main priority was of course getting the engine going. So when I am killin time I Promise I will Remove the crazy wires! LOL

I need to get a new radio too... But all in time!

james

Unread 03-02-2007, 10:19 PM   #10
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

ok james, just so long as you promise.........

now ye got me wondering what all the radio wires are doing coming up out of the floor!!!!!!!!
hhhmmmmm, if ye wanna drive to my house, i'll even wire it all up for ye, free of charge......and i'll even throw in the heatshrink tubing!
hehehehe
martin

Choose wisely!
Unread 03-03-2007, 01:07 AM   #11
sauce90yj

Actually they are just dangling from the bottom of the dash...

And because of the adapter and all, they are just really long.

Missouri is a long ways away from me but I appreciate the offer!

Unread 03-03-2007, 03:35 PM   #12
sauce90yj

Well It didnt go exactly as planned...

We had some problems with our wire welder...

THe plan was to use the wire welder to tack it in place so we could roll the frame to the part of the shop with the stick welder.

My father in law was going to do the stick welding for us... He hasnt done wire welding in a long while.

So mike ran some beads with the wire welder... He didnt care for the first one, so he ground it off and did it again.

I did NOT notice that one motor mount from the donor vehicle was bent out of shape... so we temporarily have it in with the wrong motor mount.

It wasnt a bad day... It just wasnt as good as i hoped.

Next weekend Should be a good time. A friend is possibly coming into town just to hang and help with the jeep. So we should get a few things taken care of before we finish getting everything welded completely.

Here are some more pics:

first bead of weld...

Here are a couple just for left lane truckin

Unread 03-09-2007, 10:16 PM   #13
sauce90yj

Welding machines HATE me...

I dont even weld, but lately it seems if I am near a welder it doesnt work.

MY father In Lather was there to Stick Weld for us this time. But the antique welding machine wasnt working. There were some bad spots in the lead so after a while of trying to weld we ended up cutting the wire down in hopes we could get a more "heat." It worked... barely.

We did get the mounts secured. So that was good.

I was having some problems with the clutch, they differ from the 90 ax5 to the 94 ax15. Where (i should say how) they connect to the fire wall is different... the pin at the top of the clutch lever is different, I will get it figured out...

Tomorrow we will get the front clip back on. and start going to town getting everything connected.

No pictures...

BUT!!!

My father in law came bearing gifts...
a pair of 3/4 D Rings... his boss told him to give them to me. And his boss told him to order me some serious recovery straps... He heard we broke one a while back. Thank you! The mill is buying me stuff!
Later!

Unread 03-09-2007, 11:41 PM   #14
doug_1994
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good.

There is no way I would want to mess with that wiring!

Doug

Plato

Last edited by doug_1994; 03-16-2007 at 03:44 PM..
doug_1994 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2007, 12:10 AM   #15
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

hell, you must be around gary,in......aint that far from mo!!
gonna be sending you some heat shrink tubing and a mini propane torch for yer birthday......
im just kinda wondering why the mig wasnt good enough for the motor mounts??? worked fine on mine, and scotts, and robs, and dons.....and so on....
crank the power up high, wire feed medium and take your time...
anyways, enough beatchin. lookin good mate! keep the pics coming!!
martin

Choose wisely!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.