Has this been nuttered? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Has this been nuttered?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 03-07-2014, 11:15 AM   #1
dodgethejeep
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Has this been nuttered?

I purchased an ugly 1990 yj with a 4.2. Has a SOA d35 rear and some size lift SUA d30 front. Bent Sway bar ends and a retarded 3 in body lift. I'm slowly collecting the parts I want to build this jeep the way I want it to be. I believe this Jeep may have been nuttered. anyone care to voice their opinion? I may be moving to Washington this summer and am curious how this might effect me if it has been nuttered. Found an online picture of what the stock engine should look like to compare with mine.

1393880_4881936746796_149889720_n-1-.jpg   946039_4881937106805_737215163_n-1-.jpg   1376647_4881937226808_1380448746_n-1-.jpg  
fuel-20-20spark-20-175-.jpg

Unread 03-07-2014, 11:17 AM   #2
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Please read this: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/p...bypass-476720/

It will explain how the nutter is performed and you can use it as a reference to trace your wiring. Does the hood actually close without smashing that cone filter?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA View Post
Mean Max created Chuck Norris with some spare parts, two trac bars and some differential fluid.
jeepguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2014, 11:34 AM   #3
dodgethejeep
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Wish I was home to do that. My wife says it drives ok and yes the hood does shut. I bought it as a project. Trying to see how much of a head ache I might have bought myself.
Unread 03-07-2014, 11:38 AM   #4
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The nutter will take you little to no time if you have to do it. It is 100% worth doing as well.
Quote:
Mean Max created Chuck Norris with some spare parts, two trac bars and some differential fluid.
Unread 03-07-2014, 12:11 PM   #5
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Can't say for sure from the pictures, but I'd guess no, since the 3 solenoids, 2 vacuum sensors and some other stuff you can remove with the Nutter are still there.

Take the window washer tank and coolant overflow tank off and look at the wires leading from the Ignition Control Module. Also I can't tell if the wires to the carb are still hooked up.
dancytron is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2014, 01:04 PM   #6
dodgethejeep
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I will see if someone can get me a picture of the control module and the wires. I'm in a remote location so I won't be able to do this myself. This thread is me trying to answer some questions so I can plan for required repairs or modifications when I get home. the way I understand the nutter bypasses the computer to run the distro and accessories the way an older vehicle does. The carb becomes a stand alone. pretty sure its illegal in most states. Dang thing is 25 yrs old. would anybody even care if the emissions stuff was removed on it. In that time the required equipment could have corroded and fallen off.
Unread 03-07-2014, 01:13 PM   #7
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgethejeep View Post
I will see if someone can get me a picture of the control module and the wires. I'm in a remote location so I won't be able to do this myself. This thread is me trying to answer some questions so I can plan for required repairs or modifications when I get home. the way I understand the nutter bypasses the computer to run the distro and accessories the way an older vehicle does. The carb becomes a stand alone. pretty sure its illegal in most states. Dang thing is 25 yrs old. would anybody even care if the emissions stuff was removed on it. In that time the required equipment could have corroded and fallen off.
Tell the wife to get her hands dirty!

Seriously though, thanks for your service and come home safe!
Quote:
Unread 03-07-2014, 01:32 PM   #8
dodgethejeep
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy85 View Post
Tell the wife to get her hands dirty!
Funny you should say that. she helped me install a lift on the TJ we use to have, and she has her own jeep now. She has done most of the small things she could do for this jeep and was the only one who could figure out how to take a half way decent picture when I requested them. She would try and do the work but doubts her own mechanical ability.
This jeep was a good idea that didn't work out. I had a family member go get it for me, so my family had something to drive when they got home with out myself. Turns out my family "mechanic" really isn't one and knows very little about jeeps. Now that my wife's jeep has made it across the puddle we are trying to get this jeep corrected and prepared for our next move. I'm not afraid of a project and probably would have bought this if I was there in person, but I also would had a better idea what I was getting into.
Valve cover started spitting oil so we ordered a replacement aluminum one that should be put on this week sometime and then we can address other issues.
Unread 03-07-2014, 01:36 PM   #9
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgethejeep View Post
Funny you should say that. she helped me install a lift on the TJ we use to have, and she has her own jeep now. She has done most of the small things she could do for this jeep and was the only one who could figure out how to take a half way decent picture when I requested them. She would try and do the work but doubts her own mechanical ability.
This jeep was a good idea that didn't work out. I had a family member go get it for me, so my family had something to drive when they got home with out myself. Turns out my family "mechanic" really isn't one and knows very little about jeeps. Now that my wife's jeep has made it across the puddle we are trying to get this jeep corrected and prepared for our next move. I'm not afraid of a project and probably would have bought this if I was there in person, but I also would had a better idea what I was getting into.
Valve cover started spitting oil so we ordered a replacement aluminum one that should be put on this week sometime and then we can address other issues.
Where is the Jeep currently located? I am sure there are some members on this forum that would be glad to give her a hand to get it road worthy.
Quote:
Unread 03-07-2014, 01:47 PM   #10
dodgethejeep
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Idaho, but she won't be back from London till next week. I have a brother in law who can do some stuff when he isn't working. Anyways this is starting to sound like a poor me thread so back to the original topic. I will look up the emissions laws in what ever state in get sent to but has any body had any issues with passing a road inspection after doing a nutter. I'm not sure if this jeep has had it done till I get some more pictures. If it doesn't I was planning on doing it anyways.
Unread 03-07-2014, 01:50 PM   #11
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I cannot comment on that. I live in TN, the home of no inspections on anything you drive.
Quote:
Unread 03-07-2014, 02:00 PM   #12
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

If it is nuttered, whoever did it didn't clean up the unnecessary stuff. I think WA has emissions testing, so you're probably thinking about putting all the stock stuff back on so it will pass?

The nutter basically removes the electronic metering control from the carburetor, as well as eliminating all other ECM control. A way to tell if the ECM still controls the carb is to get the engine up to operating temp, remove the air cleaner, and look down the throat at the 2 needles while it runs. One needle is above the other. Move the throttle a bit, and if you see the needles moving in/out, the ECM is controlling that. If they don't move at all, it could be nuttered, but it could be for other reasons causing the ECM to stay in open loop.

This is a pretty good guide for what needs to be there. Even though it is for CJ, the control system is the same with minor plumbing differences.
http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/home.htm

If I found myself in your situation, I would plan on doing the Howell TBI injection kit, and really clean up all that junk under the hood.
bpounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2014, 02:18 PM   #13
dodgethejeep
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Looks pretty nasty that's why I originally assumed it had been a botch job or bypass. I'm gonna have to do something under there. kinda want to keep the carburetor for a bit. At least while I finish up the rest of the jeep. Plan to keep it simple/stupid. Things seems to work best that way.
Unread 03-07-2014, 03:39 PM   #14
cwstnsko
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you do end up in WA, the emissions requirement is a 25 year rolling wave thing, so you 1990 YJ will no longer require testing after January 1st, 2015. My 89 YJ just celebrated the 25 year birthday and I bought tabs for the 1st time in years without having to worry about testing.

Depending on what part of WA your home address is in, you may not require testing at all.

It's hard to tell if it's had the bypass, but it does look like the wiring harness on the passenger side has been assaulted :-| As others have said, if it has been bypassed, there is a lot of that stuff that can be removed/cleaned up. Does it have a 3" body lift? (doh, just read your original post again) That might allow the hood to close with that air filter. I have a fully dressed spare motor from an 89 that still has the air cleaner etc. if you decide you want to go back to stock.
cwstnsko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2014, 09:32 PM   #15
dodgethejeep
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.