Has anyone recently bought a windshield frame kit from Quadratec? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Has anyone recently bought a windshield frame kit from Quadratec?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Has anyone recently bought a windshield frame kit from Quadratec?

If so, what were your thoughts? My windshield needs to be replaced because of a crack on each side, plus it is delaminating. My frame has a few rust bubbles below the glass, so I figure it may be wise to replace everything. Besides, the quotes I've received for a professional windshield replacement are the same as the complete Quadratec kit! I'll paint it and install the glass myself, and replace the leaky cowl gasket as well. I've found a few posts where people had some issues with these replacement frames in the past; flanges too large, not quite a perfect fit, etc. Does anyone here have any recent experience?

EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Test fit the frame before you paint or install the glass. If that is good paint. When installing the glass go to the hardware store and by a heavy duty caulking gun orange one at HD. You will only need one tube of the sealant. Keep a roll of paper towels handy and lawyer thinner to keep cleaning the sealant you will understand soon enough. If you have trouble keeping the glass centered while pressing seals around the glass only use a plastic putty knife to help coerce it into position. Do it on sawhorses or clean flat low workbench. Get a garage sale winter blanket to keep you new paint from scratching. It took a little over an hour and my fingers were beat from installing the seals. Well worth the savings.

The cowl seal was easy but laying the windshield back can be difficult. The new seal is fat but you can get the frame back to the roll bar spreaders with some work.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 01:37 PM   #3
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Great! Thanks for the tips!
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 05:56 PM   #4
bcusstc
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I install autoglass for a living....My advice to you is let a professional do it. If you are getting a quote for about the same as doing it yourself its not worth the headache if something goes wrong. I would buy the frame, and get an installation quote using their glass or using yours. If not done right, it will leak like crazy, if someone else does it, then its on them to come back and fix it.
bcusstc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #5
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

also, before putting the glass in I fished some wires through the frame for a map light and the CB power and antenna.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #6
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcusstc View Post
I install autoglass for a living....My advice to you is let a professional do it. If you are getting a quote for about the same as doing it yourself its not worth the headache if something goes wrong. I would buy the frame, and get an installation quote using their glass or using yours. If not done right, it will leak like crazy, if someone else does it, then its on them to come back and fix it.

I do everything on my vehicles excrpt mounting and balancing tires (know how to do this as well, but don't).

I would get the new frame, prime and paint, and let it cure 2 weeks to a month. Then I would do as the above post suggests. I have done it, watched it done several times as well. I still would gladly pay to get this done, and did just that on my last glass install.
Unread 06-05-2013, 10:03 PM   #7
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

the other part of my post went missing.

what I said was that I paid $149 for glass installed. they are liable for braking it or leaks.

any glass shop will give a deal if you make it worth their time. go on a slow day, don't be in a hurry, ask nice
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 10:46 PM   #8
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yep, let the pro's do it... Get a good one, because even a crappy "pro" installer can install a leaky windshield! I would get the frame painted, then rustproof the crap out of it. (a good formula to follow) Let the frame sit for a few days to a week or more to let the paint harden up good, and then have the glass installed. That way you can leave the frame and have them set the glass at the shop when they can fit it in.. I say give them a set time frame, maybe a few days to a week. Now you can install your new, rustproofed frame, on the Jeep and it will last a long time!

** Home brew "WaxOyl" rustproofing for cheap!

2.5 quarts of turpentine
12oz of beeswax (cheap source in the form of toilet bowl rings, pure beeswax)
1qt straight 30wt motor oil (non-detergent, made for small engines. You can buy at Tractor Supply)

Shave slivers into the turpentine until dissolved and then add in the motor oil. If you need to thin it out, you can add more Turpentine, or more wax to thicken. You can spray this with a garden sprayer just like any other rust proofing, just keep in mind, it will stay as a waxy film. The beauty of this is the wax and oil mix will soak into rust and the oil will stop it, while the infused wax retains the oil. The stuff also has a slight "self-healing" property where it will flow back to cover scrapes of not huge. For the windshield frame, I would take the freshly painted, (with nice hard paint after sitting a week) and seal the holes for the hinges top bars with the bolts or earplugs. Then install screws over for the visors and such. You want to close up as many holes as you can. Then, start to pour it into the frame from the wiper holes near the dash (with the frame off) and begin to flip and rotate the frame all over to get that wax coating all over the inside of the frame. Make sure you get it in there good! That will go a LONG was from ever having a rusting frame ever again!

A garden sprayer with a wand is great to spray it around other parts of the Jeep, like inside the frame and floor pan. The stuff really works great!
Firefyter-Emt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.