Has anyone re-applied Herculiner over Herculiner? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Has anyone re-applied Herculiner over Herculiner?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!

Unread 03-26-2011, 09:01 PM   #1
LightningFAST
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Has anyone re-applied Herculiner over Herculiner?

I know the Herculiner topic comes up often as far as how-to's...but I'm wondering if any of you guys (or if you guys know someone) who has re-applied Herculiner over an existing Herculined floor?

The story is my interior is out of my YJ because I planned on stripping it and doing it the RIGHT way, because the previous owner was an idiot and didn't prep. the floor. However I was involved in a rear-end collission and can't invest the time physically to strip the floor. So what I'm thinking is...

About 75% of the floor is in good standing condition, however he missed a bunch of spots and did a sloppy job. I don't understand why...but whatever; and there are some problem areas where he should have prepped better with some minor rust.

I'm thinking/wondering - I want to remove the Herculiner in the two small problem areas where I can tell there is some minor rust, wash the floor with a de-greaser, and then just purchase another gallon (or more), and essentially re-apply Herculiner over my existing Herculiner. I'm thinking if I go heavy enough it will still bond to the existing Herculiner, and save me the work of stripping it.

Has anyone done it before? I KNOW the right way to do it is to strip the floor completely but like I said, I just physically can't do it...the Jeep sees light off roading and is really only used during the Summer at this point. It's pretty much my fishing mobile. Gets me through the trails and that's it, so it's not like it'll be seeing mud every time it goes out.

LightningFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2011, 09:11 PM   #2
shinigami
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have done it, in fact i did the bed of my truck over 1 month with 3 layers. a few small coats with enough time to properly dry is better than one thick coat. be sure to rough up the surface in the problem areas before you apply
I LOL'd
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
shinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2011, 09:14 PM   #3
LightningFAST
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Cool. Basically I'm trying to "touch up" his (bad) application of the Herculiner. I plan on roughing up the painted areas of the floor (like under the dash and on the roll bars) where he missed, and completely stripping and sanding the small problem rust areas that I see. I will definitely re-apply in small coats as per the directions on the can...I'll just have to do more coats in the untouched areas to make it "match" the rest of the floor.

Thanks for your reply!
Unread 03-26-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
shinigami
1991 YJ Wrangler 

yah that fresh coat wil look great.... now i wana touch up mine...
I LOL'd
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
shinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2011, 09:26 PM   #5
LightningFAST
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I figure this is worth posting too for anyone thinking about doing it...I just checked on AutoZone's website to see how much it is for a 1GAL kit and if my local store has it...they are offering a $20 mail in rebate and it's 89.99...so it's only $70 after the mail in rebate for the gallon...I'll probably go ahead and buy it tomorrow...not a bad deal. Maybe I'll post up some before/after pictures too.
Unread 03-26-2011, 09:41 PM   #6
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

My buddy does it all the time because of all the mods he does that require a wire wheel, cutting and welding. Seems to be fine.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2011, 09:57 PM   #7
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

The herc website has instructions for surface prep, and they mention re-coating an existing herc surface.

Here is a good cosmetic tip: if you have just a spot that needs touchup (like a crack, seam, joint, etc), get a tube of "Blackjack roof sealant" at the Lowes or HD. It costs less than 2 bucks a tube (applies with a caulk gun), matches the herc perfect, and cleans up easier when you are done. It sets up and is waterproof in about 12 hours.
Unread 03-26-2011, 10:06 PM   #8
LightningFAST
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Sweet. Thanks for the replies guys.
Unread 03-26-2011, 10:09 PM   #9
yotefever
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If you have a Farm and Fleet store by you they are on sale there too. $79 on sale for $69 - the $20 rebate = $49
Unread 03-26-2011, 10:12 PM   #10
LightningFAST
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Never heard of Farm and Fleet but we do have a Tractor Supply Co. I'll check their website now too...thanks for the heads up.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.