has anyone heard of putting glass beads in large tires? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > has anyone heard of putting glass beads in large tires?

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 12-04-2008, 03:39 PM   #1
chadroc
1993 YJ Wrangler 

has anyone heard of putting glass beads in large tires?

I had my 37" MTRs mounted and they took a lot of weight. I'm not even sure they were able to balance them very well. One of the guys at the tire shop suggested I put a couple ounces of glass beads in the tires. Any idea what he's talking about!

chadroc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2008, 03:44 PM   #2
yjcrawlr
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't heard of glass. People do use air soft pellets. Other products are available. The guy might be talking about beads for etching glass.
90 YJ 102 in wb stretch, SOA, dana 60, 14 bolt welded,4.56s, 37in Parnelli jones dirt grips, currie twin stick dana 300, york oba, tractor link traction bar, full custom armor,poison spyder tube fenders, 95Cherokee High Output 4.0
2014 JKU, modified Rubicon Rails, RC stubby with warn 8000m, 2" leveling springs and OME trim spacers, Superchips Flashcal, Spidertrax wheel spacers, rubi shocks, and Lots more mods soon!!!
yjcrawlr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2008, 03:44 PM   #3
mgramann
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I've heard of balancing sand. I bet its the same thing.
mgramann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2008, 03:47 PM   #4
joelwg
2005 WJ 

What is the reason for it though? Too take up volume inside the tyre or centrifugal weight?
joelwg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2008, 03:56 PM   #5
mcgann454
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelwg View Post
What is the reason for it though? Too take up volume inside the tyre or centrifugal weight?
Check this out.

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/

http://www.counteractbalancing.com/
33" BFG's

97 TJ Full Restore
3" Suspension Lift
1" body lift
33" BFG's

97 TJ Engine swap
2000 4.3L Vortec
4L60E
231c with Slip Yoke
2.5" suspension lift
1.5" body Lift
Still got to paint
mcgann454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2008, 04:06 PM   #6
joelwg
2005 WJ 

If they ballance through centrifugal force then, will it sound a bit like a babys rattle when you start to slow down?
joelwg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2008, 04:16 PM   #7
chadroc
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgann454 View Post
Yeah, that sounds like what he was talking about. He said glass bead.... but they could have just as well been ceramic. I've never heard of that before but it sounds like I might need them.
Unread 12-04-2008, 04:19 PM   #8
chadroc
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelwg View Post
If they ballance through centrifugal force then, will it sound a bit like a babys rattle when you start to slow down?
It's inside a tire. I don't think bead would make much noise. If we were friends and you put them in your tires, I would probably crawl under your jeep when you werent around and duct tape little rattles to the inside of your wheels just to **** with you!
Unread 12-04-2008, 04:22 PM   #9
dbikers
1989 YJ Wrangler 

i've heard of bb's (for a bb gun...you'll shoot yer eye out).
maybe the "glass bead" would be like the media for a bead-blaster (like a fine glass sand)..
i have 33's and haven't done this ...a few of my friends have 35's and haven't had to do it either (but they have lifetime balance and take it in twice a year just for good measure).
Unread 12-04-2008, 04:28 PM   #10
ritjobbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have no weights on my rims and have only balanced with airsoft BBs on my last two sets of tires. No wobble up to 60mph, too scary to go faster than that in a Jeep. My last tires were 33x12.5 bias TSLs, currently on same size trXus MTs, both on 15x10 steelies. I had steel BBs in the TSLs and they didn't rust or anything, but you could hear them hit the rim when I stopped. I went with airsoft this time and they are waaaay quieter. I can't even tell that the airsoft pellets are there. I used camouflage air soft pellets, so that might have something to do with the extra stealth...

Last edited by ritjobbie; 12-04-2008 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: fixed typos
ritjobbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2008, 04:30 PM   #11
mcgann454
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I did some research on this and there was a thread on this a while ago. A lot of people were just using a bottle of the Airsoft pellets and had good results. I did not do it at the time because I balance twice a year(free at Discount Tire).

Found the thread

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...alancing+beads
33" BFG's

97 TJ Full Restore
3" Suspension Lift
1" body lift
33" BFG's

97 TJ Engine swap
2000 4.3L Vortec
4L60E
231c with Slip Yoke
2.5" suspension lift
1.5" body Lift
Still got to paint
mcgann454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2008, 05:40 PM   #12
chadroc
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
I have no weights on my rims and have only balanced with airsoft BBs on my last two sets of tires. No wobble up to 60mph, too scary to go faster than that in a Jeep. My last tires were 33x12.5 bias TSLs, currently on same size trXus MTs, both on 15x10 steelies. I had steel BBs in the TSLs and they didn't rust or anything, but you could hear them hit the rim when I stopped. I went with airsoft this time and they are waaaay quieter. I can't even tell that the airsoft pellets are there. I used camouflage air soft pellets, so that might have something to do with the extra stealth...
That's dangerous. and irresponsible. Both to yourself, your passengers and others. Someone may not even see you coming with those camo airsoft pellets in your tires.

Seriously now.... That works? That's amazing! Airsoft are the plastic bb's right? Why is your jeep so bad at with speed though? Mine sucks a lot of gas and has a lot of wind noise at 80, but it's otherwise comfortable.
Unread 12-04-2008, 05:58 PM   #13
chadroc
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgann454 View Post
I did some research on this and there was a thread on this a while ago. A lot of people were just using a bottle of the Airsoft pellets and had good results. I did not do it at the time because I balance twice a year(free at Discount Tire).

Found the thread

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...alancing+beads
Thanks for that info. If my tires don't seem balanced very well, I'll try that. I won't know til spring. That jeep doesn't like salt. (actually it's never had it before and I'd like it to stay that way!)
Unread 12-04-2008, 06:40 PM   #14
joe's_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

does the air soft bb's fit through the valve stem if you take the core out?
The cheapest way to get a significant power increase over a stock 2.5l, would be to pull it out and put in a 5hp briggs & stratton engine.
joe's_yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2008, 06:44 PM   #15
ritjobbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadroc View Post
That's dangerous. and irresponsible. Both to yourself, your passengers and others. Someone may not even see you coming with those camo airsoft pellets in your tires.

Seriously now.... That works? That's amazing! Airsoft are the plastic bb's right? Why is your jeep so bad at with speed though? Mine sucks a lot of gas and has a lot of wind noise at 80, but it's otherwise comfortable.
I have an Aussie Locker in my D35. It adds some 'manners' at higher speeds. =) I guess I'm just super sensitive to having sloppy suspension compared to my Subaru. Track arms make a difference on highways.

I used .12gram plastic airsoft BBs. Guys on the forum recommend heavier BBs, but I couldn't find the .20gram or heavier ones locally after 9pm when I got around to putting them in. The only thing that sucks about air soft or other BBs vs. dynabeads or something smaller is that you have to break a bead to put them in. If you don't have a nice air supply, airing your tires back up could be a non-trivial task. My 26 gallon compressor works just fine for reseating tire beads. Smaller beads can go through the valve stem after you pull the core, which saves about 2 minutes of work. Meh.

YMMV

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.