Has Anyone Ever?...(Yes, I Searched) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Has Anyone Ever?...(Yes, I Searched)

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-03-2011, 11:21 PM   #1
GAT72991
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Has Anyone Ever?...(Yes, I Searched)

...fabbed up their own windshield mount offroad light brackets? I have two brand new KC's that i need to mount, and the cheapest mounts i've seen are $30...

Now, i'm not that tight on money, but look at the picture of said mounts!!

To me, all that looks like is the stock mounts, same holes (obviously) with a little bracket made up on the mount for you to mount your lights on...I'm no welding expert, i can stick weld but that's about it, but this summer i am taking a full blown welding course at school (I need a few credits to finish up my A&P license, this is one of them), and i'm thinking these can be reproduced....

So, back to my original question, have any of you guys done it before? Any suggestions? Here's my idea: take the factory windshield mounts off, and: A.)duplicate them with their exact measurements, or B.)fab up a little piece of angled material to weld onto my factory windshield mounts, and mount my lights. Opinions?

GAT72991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2011, 08:40 AM   #2
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You can make them out of a piece of 4"x4" angle. Just drill some holes for the hinge bolts and trim to fit. You just mount your angle over the forward face of the stock hinge. I've had something like that on my yj for years without issue.
Unread 06-04-2011, 01:25 PM   #3
airdevil85
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Mine is just a simple piece of steel bent into an "L" shape and bolted on with one of the windshield hinge bolts... been like that a few years, never any problems... same thing w my bros TJ the steel cost like 6 bucks...
- "Its been a while since something broke on your truck"
airdevil85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2011, 07:00 PM   #4
hesserdude07
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i made some up for mine... welded them right to the factory window hinge. Mine look like they were bought... Ill see if i can get a pic tomorrow.
Unread 06-04-2011, 07:08 PM   #5
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm about to drill a hole in a piece of 1/4" steel and weld to each hinge. It's not like you're getting anything else for your money if you buy the pre made ones. And even if you're a crappy welder, it only has to hold the weight of a light housing.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2011, 07:21 PM   #6
SeanWilliams
1999 WJ 

SeanWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2011, 07:45 PM   #7
Dre40

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I fab my own and incorporated the mirror mont as well. Now the only thing I mess up on is I can't fold the windshield down but I don't think I ever will with this Jeep.
image-2675441.jpg  
Dre40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2011, 12:44 PM   #8
VACJ5
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Here is a set I made...
yj-mount.jpg  

BeachMetalWorks Custom CNC cut Jeep parts & more
VACJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.