Has anyone done this... Is it even do-able - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Has anyone done this... Is it even do-able

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 05-27-2013, 07:51 AM   #16
befumo
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBinDC View Post
Also if you go with an aftermarket carb, you can get rid of that POS stock air filter. A nutter and another carb will clean up the bay pretty good!
Yeah when i switched to the Weber, new air filter and removed pulse air lines. Engine bay looks so much better!

befumo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2013, 08:11 AM   #17
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It really does. This is the way to go if you want to make the bay less cluttered looking.
CBinDC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2013, 08:54 AM   #18
jeepinjames20

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yea in regards to how bad they were. Try pitch black. Lol. Got the tune up parts about to start that now.

()_) ()_)-o-)_)

JEEPen James

Firefighters Jeep Club

Build...Run...Break...Repair...Repeat...
jeepinjames20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2013, 09:47 AM   #19
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

A few things Jeepin James. Tools like the timing light can be rental with a fully refunable deposit from any of the big autoparts store tool loaner programs. The nutterpass does have one omission if you reead into it. The distributor should have a seperate ground run for it. Doing a HEI ignition coil is a good mod giving you a hotter spark if you are running a slightly older engine to get a better burn with a engine that has a little more wear on the oil rings.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #20
jeepinjames20

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ahh crap. How does this ground wire get run? Also, I may be breaking down and renting a timing gun soon lol.

()_) ()_)-o-)_)

JEEPen James

Firefighters Jeep Club

Unread 05-29-2013, 11:14 AM   #21
jeepinjames20

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I also used 12 gauge wire, could that be where I'm loosing electricity and causing it not to start

()_) ()_)-o-)_)

JEEPen James

Firefighters Jeep Club

Unread 05-29-2013, 01:15 PM   #22
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Black wire gets grounded to a good ground point. Most people have been taking it to the battery. Are you getting spark after the nutter?
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #23
jstatler

Did a nutter bypass on an 87 YJ. Worked like a champ. All the vacuum on about everything but the choke pull off and timing advance can be eliminated. You may need vacuum on an idol pick up if you have A/C.
jstatler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2013, 09:23 PM   #24
jeepinjames20

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Well, I got 'er started. Kind of... Turns out the timing was so off that it wasn't allowing the thing to start. Through trial and error we got it running but now, even though it purrs at idol it is running very rough when under load (Ie in gear) any ideas suggestions.

Also, the ground wire was still attached to the ignition module so that turned out to be a non issue for me.

()_) ()_)-o-)_)

JEEPen James

Firefighters Jeep Club

Unread 05-30-2013, 05:21 AM   #25
jstatler

Did you check that the timing is advancing as the rpm goes up?
Unread 05-30-2013, 07:57 AM   #26
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have an HEI and an MC2100. The only hoses under my hood go to the dizzy, the brakes, the PCV and the 4wd. I also peeled back all the emissions wires, just gauges, power and tach left on the engine.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 08:01 AM   #27
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjames20 View Post
Well, I got 'er started. Kind of... Turns out the timing was so off that it wasn't allowing the thing to start. Through trial and error we got it running but now, even though it purrs at idol it is running very rough when under load (Ie in gear) any ideas suggestions.

Also, the ground wire was still attached to the ignition module so that turned out to be a non issue for me.
If it runs good at idle but bad under load I would bet that the distributor vac advance is causing it. Exactly what is more difficult from here. Could be your advance is right and once the vac goes down the timing goes off. Could be the static advance weights are set wrong or in conjunction with the vac is going out of spec.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 10:33 PM   #28
jeepinjames20

1990 YJ Wrangler 

So here is where we stand as of right now. Today I spent the whole day going over the thing with a fine tooth comb. We pulled every plug, regaped (as I made the mistake of not gaping them right the first time) the spark plugs and she started up (roughtly). From there we found an exhaust leak (the tube that goes to the egr) and welded that up. Then we made sure all the vaccume lines were correct. After adjusting the air/fuel screws on the front of the stock webber she ran great! test drive was great (with the exception of two momentary incidents were it "popped" and lurched like it did before but not undriveable aside from that no issues). Then the bomb shell, I wanted to adjust my Idol screws a little to help step it up a bit and my friend noticed that the carb wasn't bolted down all the way (two out of the four nuts were loose) so he tightened them down for me.... Thinking we were finally done, that we fixed all the issues that were causing the one big issue, we were disheartened to find out the jeep wouldn't start again. My friend seems to think that it was causing such a huge vac leak and pressure issue that the timing is off again. So we tried to start the jeep while I slowly twisted the distributor cap and it seemed to want to start but by that point we flooded the engine and called it quits for the night.

Any thoughts? could a vaccume leak/pressure leak at the carburator cause the timing to be off as such? Other then that one last thing we "adjusted" (aka made right), we can't think of what went wrong!
Any input is greatly appreicated.

()_) ()_)-o-)_)

JEEPen James

Firefighters Jeep Club

Unread 06-05-2013, 03:30 AM   #29
jstatler

If you marked the timing put it back where it was running. Look at the choke. All the rods and the pull off. If the choke doesn't reset, it will not start. Could have messed it up tightening down the carb.
Unread 06-05-2013, 12:06 PM   #30
jeepinjames20

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Update: It was the timing, jeep is running GREAT now, I can't speak highly enough of the Nutter bypass. Once we backtraced all the vac leaks, ensured good spark etc it solved the majority of the issues. I couldn't be happier with the results.

()_) ()_)-o-)_)

JEEPen James

Firefighters Jeep Club

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.