Has anyone done this... Is it even do-able - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Has anyone done this... Is it even do-able

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 05-26-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
jeepinjames20

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Problems doing Nutter Bypass. Has anyone ever done this. Is it even possible?

Edit: If I could I'd change the title to. But I figured I'll chnged this header to reflect what had happened during my expariment. I ended up doing the nutter bypass and ran into a WHOLE BUTT load of issues. Here is the result and the steps I had to follow in order to correct and diagnos it. Thanks for reading!

So here it is. lately I've been actually driving the ol' hog around again. And aside from a few minor repairs/fixes I know I need to make I was thinking of trying to simplify my engine compartment.

I have the 4.2 motor with all the stock fixings under the hood (in terms of vac tubes, emissions s etc...) Basically, what, if anything can be "deleted" under the hood. All I really need is for the jeep to be able to engage 4wheel, and be able to use the heating (and maybe air conditioning.) What I am asking is, has anyone ever done this before and if so is there a write up for it.
pretty much I want to rid the engine bay of anything unrelated to the actual running and function of the engine.

Does this even make sense?

cheers

()_) ()_)-o-)_)

JEEPen James

Firefighters Jeep Club

Build...Run...Break...Repair...Repeat...

Last edited by jeepinjames20; 06-05-2013 at 10:36 PM.. Reason: thread changed to something it wasn't intented to be.
jeepinjames20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 04:28 PM   #2
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

What year do you have? Carbed or Fuel Injected?

I have an '89 (carbed). I did the nutter bypass and was able to get rid of lots of vacuum lines. It cleaned it up quite a bit. But then again, being 24 years old, it's pretty greasy/dirty inside. It's not an engine bay you want to stare at for a long time. LOL!
CBinDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
jeepinjames20

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have a 90 carb-ed 4.2l I'm not sure if I have the nutter-bypass or not, but that is something I can look into very easily. If I did it, or was able to do it what exactly would that eliminate?

()_) ()_)-o-)_)

JEEPen James

Firefighters Jeep Club

Unread 05-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ok. So yours is carbureted. Doing the "nutter" eliminated the computer and whole bunch of vac lines. What Carburetor do you have? Stock carb or aftermarket?
Unread 05-26-2013, 04:44 PM   #5
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

the most simple set up you could have is a motorcraft or weber carb and an HEI distributor.

BUT, before you do anything find out what is smog legal for you.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #6
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Jboltly makes a good point. Make sure it's legal to do the nutter. It would not pass in California, unless you do the nutter but keep all the stock parts so it passes the visual inspection. Then again, that defeats your objective.

On another note, don't rule out a Motorcraft 2150. Mine runs like a champ and there are ton of write-ups that carb setup.
Unread 05-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #7
jeepinjames20

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have the stock carb. Smog isn't an issue here.

()_) ()_)-o-)_)

JEEPen James

Firefighters Jeep Club

Unread 05-26-2013, 04:54 PM   #8
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Also if you go with an aftermarket carb, you can get rid of that POS stock air filter. A nutter and another carb will clean up the bay pretty good!
Unread 05-26-2013, 05:02 PM   #9
jeepinjames20

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'd loved to get another cab, have been meaning to for quite some time now... sadly funds are low, I'm a full time employee with the railroad, a college student and engaged lol, so needless to say my money is spent. I just wanted to start tinkering again and getting it ready for when I do have time and money to do the bigger projects. I'm about to start the nutter bypass soon as it turns out I do not have it.

()_) ()_)-o-)_)

JEEPen James

Firefighters Jeep Club

Unread 05-26-2013, 05:07 PM   #10
jeepinjames20

1990 YJ Wrangler 

was reading the nutter bypass instructions http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ho...bypass-522262/ and I've come across a bit of a snag... What if I don't have a timing light on hand?

()_) ()_)-o-)_)

JEEPen James

Firefighters Jeep Club

Unread 05-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #11
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The nutter is essentially free. All you have to do, if my memory serves me correctly, is clip a wire or two and the nutter is done. Further work entails pulling the computer and all the related vac lines. Its been a while since I've done this so I don't remember which lines to remove.

Also, you can get a second hand Motorcraft. They are not too difficult to rebuild. There are plenty of write ups on that, too.
Unread 05-26-2013, 05:19 PM   #12
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Although, you may need to buy an aftermarket air filter for it. I bought a kit so I don't know what a second hand MC needs. I don't think they're very expensive, though.
Unread 05-26-2013, 10:18 PM   #13
jeepinjames20

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ran into an issue with the nutter... After I set the stepper pins cut wire, re-ran wires etc and finally put it all back together it wont start! Oh boy... However it has been having some issues starting recently as it has sat for awhile, a buddy of mine suggested I pull a spark plug to see there condition... needless to say i need new plugs. BADLY! so untill I can get the plugs swapped Im at a stand still on weather the nutter has actually worked or not.

()_) ()_)-o-)_)

JEEPen James

Firefighters Jeep Club

Unread 05-26-2013, 10:27 PM   #14
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

How bad were the plugs? Black? Oil leakage?
Unread 05-27-2013, 07:20 AM   #15
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

If you are going to work on these motors, go buy a multi-meter,ma test light, a timing light and a vacuum gauge. Else find someone that has these and pay them to do the work.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.