Harness-Side Connector for 4.2l Distributor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Harness-Side Connector for 4.2l Distributor

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 03-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #1
sharktooth
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Harness-Side Connector for 4.2l Distributor

Folks;

After doing a lot of searching, and seeing people's posts about not being able to find connectors, plus with some vague mentions of the wiring for the 4.2l 1990's being done by a motorcraft company, I finally tracked down a part that, with a minor modification, connects right up to a stock distributor.

I'm going back to stock from the HEI that I had in there, and needed the connector on the harness side, hence the search. I'm posting my results here for others to find.

First, NAPA sells an ECHLIN line of parts, and I tracked down a connector for a 1985 Ford Mustang. The part number is EC72 :

There are a few "problems" with this part, but nothing that is correctable :
  1. It doesn't have the plastic "latch" that the stock parts do. However, it is snug enough that this shouldn't be a problem.
  2. It has two "barbs" on the side that act as guides. These are only a problem until you cut them off of the part.
  3. It has four wires, not three - two of those four connect to the same terminal, so it's easy enough to clip one of those two shorter, and then tape it up against it's sibling wire with some electrical tape.

With the barbs cut off, it looked like a good candidate for me to be able to use the stock dist :

And, it fit just wonderfully :

Hopefully, this can help anyone trying to rebuild a harness, who needs to track down some unobtainium.

Joe
'90 4.2l

sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
gnawgahyde

I have one question for you. You mention that it has four wires and you cut one of them. Did you splice it into the other wire or leave it not connected? I am unsure what you did from your explanation. I need to do this to mine because my harness melted on the one side. thanks,
Steve
gnawgahyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #3
sharktooth
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnawgahyde View Post
I have one question for you. You mention that it has four wires and you cut one of them. Did you splice it into the other wire or leave it not connected? I am unsure what you did from your explanation. I need to do this to mine because my harness melted on the one side. thanks,
Steve
I ended up soldering those two wires together where I connected them into the harness. Then, I "buddy taped" them together.

Joe
sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
connector , distributor , electrical , harness

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.