Harness issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Harness issues

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 04-05-2010, 06:01 PM   #1
NOAKES91yj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Harness issues

I just swapped my 4cyl in my 91 for a 95 6cyl. Everything went pretty smooth considering the wiring harness came with it..... exceppttt that the plug in above the transmission hump that goes through the fire wall to my dash. The dash has 10 wires and the new 6cyl wiring harness has 13???
-Also, those were the only wires that were cut on the 6cyl harness so it doesn't have the plug-in on the end so i'm not sure what the plug-in would even looks like.

Maybe i am looking at it wrong i don't know but any help in that area would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Unread 04-05-2010, 06:15 PM   #2
provinT13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Can you get a picture? I'm confused as to what you're talking about

94 YJ Build

99 TJ Build
provinT13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2010, 08:02 PM   #3
NOAKES91yj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well i've got them on my computer, i don't know how to load them on the site...??
Unread 04-06-2010, 08:51 PM   #4
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

upload photos to a free hosting site (such as photobucket)... post the link to the picture (using the IMG tag) and someone will make them click free for you.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2010, 11:11 AM   #5
NOAKES91yj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

These are the 6cyl wires that went through the fire wall that were cut This is the old 4cyl plug in that went through the fire wall This is were the plug in from the 4cyl motor "shown above" went to under the dash
Unread 04-08-2010, 11:12 AM   #6
NOAKES91yj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I just dont know what to do with the 6cyl cut wires since there are 13 of them and only 10 on the old 4cyl harness
Unread 04-08-2010, 07:13 PM   #7
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOAKES91yj View Post
I just swapped my 4cyl in my 91 for a 95 6cyl. Everything went pretty smooth considering the wiring harness came with it..... exceppttt that the plug in above the transmission hump that goes through the fire wall to my dash. The dash has 10 wires and the new 6cyl wiring harness has 13???
-Also, those were the only wires that were cut on the 6cyl harness so it doesn't have the plug-in on the end so i'm not sure what the plug-in would even looks like.

Maybe i am looking at it wrong i don't know but any help in that area would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
For the '95 YJ the only plug I found so far that has 13 wires is for the headlamps. Look at the bulkhead connector mounted into the firewall. Plugging into that gets your wiring into the cab. I believe that you actually plug two plugs into that bulkhead connector. One for the engine and the other for the headlamps.

Does this list of wire colors match what you have?
BK/YL
BK/WT
TN
LG/WT
DB/WT
WT/OR
LG
LB
RD/OR
RD/GY
BR
DG/RD
VT/WT

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2010, 07:44 PM   #8
NOAKES91yj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

yes i have both of those plugged in but what am i supposed to plug in there under the dash?? and where do those cut wires go?
Unread 04-08-2010, 08:06 PM   #9
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
yes i have both of those plugged in but what am i supposed to plug in there under the dash?? and where do those cut wires go?
OK so that is your instrument panel connector. I can fget you some information on those wires some time soon. I am not at my tower PC which has all my stuff on it but my LT.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 04-08-2010, 08:25 PM   #10
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ten of those wires will match color for color & pin for pin the wiring in the plug in the firewall. Get them seperated from that stub of wires. What color wires do you have left?

Unread 04-09-2010, 06:39 PM   #11
NOAKES91yj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well i tried to match them up with colors and it wasn't happening but the guy that cut the wires on the 6cyl said that they went through the firewall where my old 4cyl wires went..?? I am troubled and confused with this
Unread 04-09-2010, 06:57 PM   #12
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well i tried to match them up with colors and it wasn't happening but the guy that cut the wires on the 6cyl said that they went through the firewall where my old 4cyl wires went..?? I am troubled and confused with this
We forgot one thing. The harness inside your heep is a '91 harness. The harness you are using is for a '95 engine. You will need a wiring diagram for a 95 harness AND a wiring diagram for a '91 harness and compare them pin # to pin # instead of color

Unread 04-09-2010, 07:07 PM   #13
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ok here is the plug for the 1995 harness. It show the engine harness plug and the plug under the dash. Using the large red wire as an orientation point you should be able to match the cut wires to the plug under the dash since it only has one way to fit together if it was still there on the engine harness.

Unread 04-11-2010, 10:03 AM   #14
NOAKES91yj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well i deffinatly appreciatte the help you are giving me, the wiring harness is in fact a 95 that is on the new 6cyl engine and the 4cyl i took out has the old 4cyl harness.
But the 6cyl does have 13 wires and the diagram you are showing (which is infact the correct one because i ended up finding it in the factory service manual) only has 10...?? i am going to try your theory and for the ones i don't know i'll play the old guess and check game lol.
Once again thanks a lot, hopefully i can get it going cause this weather is killing me not having my jeep running
Unread 04-11-2010, 10:27 AM   #15
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well i deffinatly appreciatte the help you are giving me, the wiring harness is in fact a 95 that is on the new 6cyl engine and the 4cyl i took out has the old 4cyl harness.
But the 6cyl does have 13 wires and the diagram you are showing (which is infact the correct one because i ended up finding it in the factory service manual) only has 10...?? i am going to try your theory and for the ones i don't know i'll play the old guess and check game lol.
Once again thanks a lot, hopefully i can get it going cause this weather is killing me not having my jeep running
First figure out the where the first ten wires go. Then we can work on what those final three are for. Do you already know which three wires are 'extra'?

The MAP sensor plug (#1 BK/LB sensor ground, #2 DG/RD sensor signal, #3VT/WT 5 volt supply). is in that area.

Like I said sort out what wiring goes to the dash harness plug and then figure out where those final three wires go to be determined by their colors.

Tags
4cyl to 6cyl harness swap , wiring harness

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.