harmonic balancer install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > harmonic balancer install

Happy Thursday! From Morris 4X4 CenterHalloween Savings to die for!THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 09-16-2013, 06:14 PM   #1
jimsahm
1989 YJ Wrangler 

harmonic balancer install

Ok, first things first... I must confess my sin... I banged on the harmonic balancer with a dead blow hammer (5lbs)... I now realize I was wrong... did not bang on it too hard, or too long, but I did...

Question: what are the odds I damaged at least the saddle main bearing? Is there an easy way to re-inspect?

What do you all suggest? I just received the proper install tool, but want to recheck stuff before oil pan goes on etc... its been a total rebuild project that was frankly going so well... til now.

Many thanks,
Jim

jimsahm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Doubt you hurt the thrust bearing area. Your crank , clutch cover, and flywheel is probably close to 100 pounds, and a dead blow hammer isn't going to shock it much. If you don't see any broken pieces of bearing laying under the engine, carry on.

If it really bothers you, just replace the bearing, they cost about 5 bucks.
Unread 09-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #3
jimsahm
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, its worse... Crankshaft bolt threads stripped by PO! What is the best way to fix? Need to press on the Harmonic Balancer...Or do I simply order a new crank!!??
Unread 09-17-2013, 03:33 PM   #4
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Engine still installed? Get tap and fix the threads. You may have to go one size larger.

If uninstalled swing by a machine shop have them look and maybe repair.

Sent from underneath my Jeep

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #5
jimsahm
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, crank is fully installed on engine stand... What size thread is it supposed to be? Closest in the adapters in the harmonic balancer install kit is 1/2 - 20? Does that sound correct for a 90 vintage 258? It will catch some thread, but certainly nothing close to what is needed for the balancer install....

Jim
Unread 09-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #6
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Before something gets all fubarred up may want to talk to your local machine shop and see what needs to done. There is a solution and since it is on a stand it makes it a little easier to get it done the right way so there is no worries.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 05:46 PM   #7
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerchief462 View Post
Before something gets all fubarred up may want to talk to your local machine shop and see what needs to done. There is a solution and since it is on a stand it makes it a little easier to get it done the right way so there is no worries.

Agreed. Good chance the machinist has seen this before.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 08:48 PM   #8
mustanggarage
1990 YJ Wrangler 

options are to try to rethread the crankshaft with a tap and dye set. if you can get it started ok you can rethread the crank. then if you put a probe down the end of the crank you will see that the hole in the crank is significantly longer than your harmonic balancer bolt. so you can get a longer grade 8 bolt and thread it in and it will catch good threads at the end of the bore. I had to do this to mine when I was trying to get the harmonic balancer bolt out and it broke. I had to drill it out, use an easy out and then rethread it. I do not remember exactly what size bolt I used but if I remember right it is a fine threaded bolt. somebody else chime in here please. what you can do if you can't tell is to take the harmonic balancer bolt down to your local hardware store and find a nut that fit it. that will tell you what size bolt and what thread you need. then take the measurement of the length of the bore in your crank. that will tell you how long a bolt you can use. get the longest one you can get that won't bottom out in the bore.

obviously first thing is first, make sure you have the right tap. again I believe it is fine threaded so make sure. then try to tap the bore you should be able to get it good enough to get the balancer install tool screwed in. screw it all the way in so that it grabs the good threads also. then press the balancer on slowly using hand tools not an impact. a little oil on the crank snout will help. also make sure that the balancer is the right size. I have heard of some chinese made hb that are undersized so check it with a micrometer first. another tip I like to use is take a bit of emery cloth and smooth out the crank shaft to make sure there are no burrs on the end.

hopefully this rambling post made some sense to you. but I don't think you will have to replace the crank if you do what I said.

btw. I think the 1/2 20 tap is what you need. whatever you don't try to thread the install tool in until you fix the threads, you could just make it worse. good luck.
Unread 09-18-2013, 04:17 AM   #9
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If the threads are intact deeper in (such that you just cant get it caught to start the process), you can get a bolt with long threading and a nut. Bottom the bolt in the crank and use the nut to start to drive the pulley home.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
Unread 09-18-2013, 06:52 AM   #10
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

crank bolts stripped?
I hope you thouroughly checked everything else. If the PO overtorqued them so badly to strip I kind of doubt he was meticulous on the rest of the engine. It sure would suck to spend all the time and money to put it together to find out he furked the oil pump, plugged passages, jammed the cam through the bearings, reversed con rods or something equally incidious and terminal.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #11
Cashcrazy

I just went through this same problem. I later found that the PO broke a bolt head off one of the oil pan bolts and stripped one more on the oil pan to timing cover. So get ready for more. I expect the PO removed the harmonic balancer to put a new gasket on the timing cover. He used enough silicone for three gaskets doing that. The leak was at the harmonic balancer seal so I had to take it back off to fix it properly. The first 1/4" - 3/8" of the threads were messed up. I assume he attempted to use the bolt and not the install tool to press the harmonic balancer on. I cleaned out the threads with a tap(mine was a 20 - fine thread) and ordered a new bolt. The threads felt loose where the major damage was, but I could feel it grab when I got to the ones that werent damaged. I used an install tool to press it on and threaded it as deep as possible. I used a torque wrench on the final turns and believe me I was worried I would feel it strip. So far it hasnt backed off and everything is holding. I was in panic mode and spoke with a couple old mechanics. They both believe I will be just fine and commented that cars used to just be pressed on and not bolted. It was their belief that a small amount of pressure will hold it in place. I do not have any intention on removing it until it's time for a rebuild. Make sure your harmonic balancer doesnt have a groove from the seal or it will leak oil. Morris 4x4 sells them new for about $55 so I just replaced it.

If my engine was out and the crank can still be easily removed I would either find another crank and have it reground or I'd take the crank to a machine shop and have the drill and retap. It would be worth the cost for me to have the piece of mind. This Jeep has 123k and If I can get another 100k before replacing I will probably need a rebuild.
Cashcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #12
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I tink I be cornfused
When you talked saddle bearings and then crank bolt I thought you meant the bolt(s) that hold on the bearing caps.
I am no guessing you mean the single bolt that threads into the end of the crank holding a big honkin washer that keeps the HB from backing off.
The balancer is keyed and a slight press fit. It doesn't take much to keep it in place so if you can get a fewe threads to hold and use some threadlock I think you should be fine. I wouldn't recommend it but I've personally seen a ford289 that didn't have a bolt at all. The guy tried to bolt an additional pulley to the front to drive a hack job A/C. It didn't work and he took off the pulley and never reinstalled the bolt....about 2 yrs before I saw it.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #13
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It doesn't take much to keep it on (in fact it often will stay without a bolt). However it does take a solid amount of force to get it full seated, I would consider it considerably more than a light press fit. However there is a good chance you could drive it in with a nut if you get a long bolt well threaded in.

My guess is that the threads are probably hacked up at the beginning, further in they may be fine.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.