Hardwiring my winch to a switch in the cab - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hardwiring my winch to a switch in the cab

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJClayton Off Road JK Long Arm Upgrade Kits!

Unread 02-24-2010, 11:08 AM   #1
MWguy101
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hardwiring my winch to a switch in the cab

I have a Smittybilt XRC 8 Winch.

I was considering hardwiring the winch to a switch inside my cab and bypassing the remote switch that has a 12 foot cord.

Is this good idea or this a asking for trouble?

This is what the website has to say about the winch.

Smittybilt XRC 8 Winch
The new Smittybilt XRC 8 Winch encompasses all the best features you would want in a winch. Every XRC 8 (8,000 LB.) winch features a 5.5HP Series Wound Motor and a Planetary Gear System with 172.8:1 gear ratio that will deliver power and reliability at a premium price. For a recovery system with the muscle and dependability to bail you out of any situation, the XRC 8 has all the heavy duty toughness you're looking for.

Revolutionary planetary gear system boasts an 8,000 lb. line rating and 172.8:1 gear ratio
5.5 hp, 12-volt, series wound motor
5/16" x 92' galvanized aircraft cable with replaceable hook included
Intuitive design ensures a simple, hassle-free installation
A heavy duty winching system with great features at an incredible overall value
Drum size: Diameter/Length: 2.5" (63 mm) x 9" (228 mm)
Mounting bolt pattern: 10" x 4.5" (4 bolts, 3/8") (254 mm x 114.3 mm)
Overall Dimension (LxWxH): 21" x 6.22" x 7.283" (558.8 mm x 158 mm x 185 mm)
Total shipping weight: 94 lbs (42.5kgs)
All Smittybilt Winches meet SAE-J706 standard ratings for winches

MWguy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2010, 11:18 AM   #2
sebastian22
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I did it to mine and its been very useful, I've never even used the controller out on the trail, its much more convenient to just flip a switch on your dash and be done with it. You do need another set of eyes so that you dont suck in too much cable.

check out my winch thread linked in my sig.

edit: the way i wired it up, i can still use the remote if i need to, so it is not completely bypassed.
Unread 02-24-2010, 11:22 AM   #3
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Here's another, I've had stashed away for awhile..... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/c...ontrol-505012/

Here's what I did.... Now I just need the winch.

timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.