Is a hardtop worth it? - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Is a hardtop worth it?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 11-07-2013, 07:13 AM   #76
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandboost98

Thanks, looks great! Real clean jeep too! My plan is to go with the angle of the roll bar

And I do need to find myself a CJ top for when I swap in my CJ tailgate. $200 is a good deal
Here's what it looked like before it was glassed.

image-3369031489.jpg

CBinDC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #77
1tuffchevy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have a chance to buy a bestop supertop from a buddy of mine for $175 with all hardware and brand new soft uppers, the only downside is that there is a small rip on the rear driversind window. Is this worth it?
1tuffchevy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #78
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

its your call if its worth it or not.

to me, its not worth it because i have a hardtop and a softopper.

as far as the locks on the top for a cj tailgate. that is something i am fighting right now. i put my yj hardtop on for the winter and have to climb in to the back to drop the tailgate to open the top. and its a two person deal to close the tailgate since i have a nice gasket still so i cannot pull hte tailgate hard enough to flip the latches from the inside with the back window closed
Unread 11-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #79
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj
its your call if its worth it or not. to me, its not worth it because i have a hardtop and a softopper. as far as the locks on the top for a cj tailgate. that is something i am fighting right now. i put my yj hardtop on for the winter and have to climb in to the back to drop the tailgate to open the top. and its a two person deal to close the tailgate since i have a nice gasket still so i cannot pull hte tailgate hard enough to flip the latches from the inside with the back window closed
im thinking the locks on the tailgate would be worth it. Especially if you want to go a cheaper route vs buying a new hardtop.

Sent from Peggy's office
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #80
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, totally worth it
Unread 11-07-2013, 06:53 PM   #81
1tuffchevy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for your guys' input!
1tuffchevy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #82
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
. If anyone wants to get rid of a set of full doors in good shape cheap, let me know!
If you were closer, Que, I would totally hook you up for all of your efforts here on the Forum.
YJOTM JULY 2014
DirtKar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 04:07 AM   #83
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks. I appreciate it. I have learned from the forum too. There are great peeps on the forum.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 10:06 AM   #84
wrangler_bear
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Okay guys...let's put closure to this issue. Well...I attempted to put a hardtop on the jeep but was unable to due to the overhead light bar on the windshield. There's just not enough clearance under the light bar. So that settles that. No I will not move the light bar. Don't feel like patching the open holes with rivets or using liquid steel. The soft top is on and just needs some cleaning to make it look decent. Thanks for all you suggestion and opinions. You guys are great. If you can't find an answer to your problems in this forum....It can't be fixed. You guys have the answers for everything. Thanks again.
wrangler_bear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 11:09 AM   #85
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler_bear View Post
Well...I attempted to put a hardtop on the jeep but was unable to due to the overhead light bar on the windshield. There's just not enough clearance under the light bar. .
I looked at the pics you posted of your light bar, and it would seem that a piece of 1"x2" flat stock with bolt holes drilled in would space that bar up the extra 1" or so you're missing. It would take all of 10 minutes and cost under $10. There's no reason not to do it if you are already invested in a hard top (and a hard top is absolutely worth every bit).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.