Is a hardtop worth it? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Is a hardtop worth it?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 11-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #61
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Just get some small self tappers and some 8? Bolts for the back with nuts.. I haven't looked at my setup since I put it back on.. Three or four months ago.. And another reason I know why you want the hard top is security, Vallejo is sometimes very nail biting going through.. I have an uncle who lives over there.. And I know I wouldn't drive through there an park with out my hardtop....

Sent from Peggy's office

AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 06:31 AM   #62
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

you will have to pull the light bar to put the top on but once its on, you will be fine. those long bolts will keep the top from sliding on without removing the light bar
Unread 11-06-2013, 08:05 AM   #63
rodgers3
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
I can roast a turkey in my soft top. (Thanksgiving is on it's way)

Yes, the windshield channel must go. I would imagine all the side channels and other soft top related hardware must go too.
Dont know what year your jeep is but I have a 92 with an 87 HT and I dont have to remove my header bar/windshield channel. Fits good and doesnt leak.
rodgers3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #64
wrangler_bear
1993 YJ Wrangler 

wrangler_bear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #65
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj View Post
an automatic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by superj View Post
I enjoy simplicity

lol

enjoy rebuilding that sucker by yourself
Unread 11-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #66
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

wrong thread

if it ever needs rebuilding, i will just throw another one in though
Unread 11-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #67
wrangler_bear
1993 YJ Wrangler 

There's one I found

69186-4.jpg
Unread 11-06-2013, 04:20 PM   #68
yjcrawlr
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I love my hard top. This one is a Acme from a cj7. I picked it up off craigslist for $200

90 YJ 102 in wb stretch, SOA, dana 60, 14 bolt welded,4.56s, 37in Parnelli jones dirt grips, currie twin stick dana 300, york oba, tractor link traction bar, full custom armor,poison spyder tube fenders, 95Cherokee High Output 4.0
2014 JKU, modified Rubicon Rails, RC stubby with warn 8000m, 2" leveling springs and OME trim spacers, Superchips Flashcal, Spidertrax wheel spacers, rubi shocks, and Lots more mods soon!!!
yjcrawlr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #69
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandboost98
Could you post a picture of yours? I havent finished mine yet. I actually cut out the rear section that held that hatch too and plan to fiberglass it to whats left, hugging the rollbar
Here you go. It's not finished yet. I might extend it further back but probably not until next summer. I still need to finish the inside but it's fine for now. I'll probably put a liner to dull outside noise and insulate a little more.

Attachment 820849

Attachment 820857

image-1352622286.jpg

image-1418140566.jpg

image-3368485443.jpg

image-2648204528.jpg

image-3253167177.jpg
CBinDC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #70
nzpete
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I run a hard top in the winter and just a Safari top in the summer. I have pretty much relegated my soft top to just another box in storage.

I was originally going to find a YJ hard top, but decided against it as I want to be able to open the hatch door without having to open up the tailgate first.
So, I searched and found a nice CJ7 top for 200 bucks. It was a good shape, but needed a coat of paint.
Another plus to the CJ hard top is that the rear hatch door uses spring-loaded door supports. The YJ top uses gas-filled that often fail or get weak.
Overall, I'm happy with it and I won't get rid of it. I will probably sell my soft top at some point, though.
Unread 11-07-2013, 06:32 AM   #71
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBinDC View Post
Here you go. It's not finished yet. I might extend it further back but probably not until next summer. I still need to finish the inside but it's fine for now. I'll probably put a liner to dull outside noise and insulate a little more.

Attachment 820849

Attachment 820857

Attachment 820865

Attachment 820873

Attachment 820881

Attachment 820889

Attachment 820897
Thanks, looks great! Real clean jeep too! My plan is to go with the angle of the roll bar

And I do need to find myself a CJ top for when I swap in my CJ tailgate. $200 is a good deal
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 07:34 AM   #72
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks, looks great! Real clean jeep too! My plan is to go with the angle of the roll bar And I do need to find myself a CJ top for when I swap in my CJ tailgate. $200 is a good deal
I'm actually thinking why not put two barrel locks on the side. That way you can open it from outside?

Sent from Peggy's office
Unread 11-07-2013, 07:44 AM   #73
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmitOsiris View Post
I'm actually thinking why not put two barrel locks on the side. That way you can open it from outside?

Sent from Peggy's office
You mean on either side of the tailgate? That would work but I like the clean look of nothing back there. Besides, I see opening the hatch first, then the tailgate being more convenient over the stock way. I always found that to be a hassle
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 07:58 AM   #74
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You mean on either side of the tailgate? That would work but I like the clean look of nothing back there. Besides, I see opening the hatch first, then the tailgate being more convenient over the stock way. I always found that to be a hassle
As I say this is because I want to do the cj style drop down, but around here (cali) hardtop a are expensive. So i want to do a lock of that sort from the outside so I can keep the YJ top...

Sent from Peggy's office
Unread 11-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #75
wrangler_bear
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Viewed the top yesterday. Needs to be painted and all glass when does and seals are in good condition. Carrying my Jeep there today to try it on but first I have to remove the soft top hardware

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.