Is a hardtop worth it? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Is a hardtop worth it?

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 11-05-2013, 12:58 AM   #16
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal_chris View Post
Had a hard top. Sold it. Dont regret it.

Sucks to store. Side windows are too big and look stupid. Break a window and your screwed. Its either on or off.

I was always worried about hitting it on something while I was wheeling and breaking it.
Ditto.

Hated storing it, looks stupid, and is damaged easily. I also got rid of my hard doors because they were a pain to take off and store.

I like to be able to have everything at the ready so it's there when I want it. Softtop goes up in about 5 minutes and full soft doors go on in about 60 seconds.(soft doors split in half and store behind back seat)

I run this whole setup year round with no complaints or regrets.

ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 05:30 AM   #17
OldSkull75
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ive had both tops on my TJs but they were set up so you dont have to remove all the hardware. On my YJ I like the Soft Top. My heater gets hot as hell. I live in the hills of Kentucky and we get pretty cold winters with snow and single digit temps.
OldSkull75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 05:47 AM   #18
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hardtops all the way! Cant stand soft tops.

I started with a hard top, my land lord damaged it and I was forced to buy a soft top on craigslist while I repaired the hardtop. With the winter/storms/tight trails we have, the soft top was junk in no time. Could barely see out of the windows, top was stained from mud, noisy, leaky, etc. Eventually got bent from hitting too many trees and branches. Sold it. Bought a bikini top, same thing. Then a safari top, which I still have but its all stained and stretched.

Picked up another hard top to cut into a half hard top, or a hard bikini top, which I use most the year now. So I have extra windows and what not from the cut up one and Im thinking about buying another one to cut into a hard safari type top. The hardtop isnt armor but it is stronger than a soft top, Ive slid across my top numerous times and whacked it on plenty of things which the marks to show for it. Soft tops just wouldnt cut it
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 06:24 AM   #19
OldSkull75
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Your "hard top bikini/safari" top sounds cool. It would be awesome if someone made a hard top that the sides and back could be removed, leaving just the top as a safari top. 👍
OldSkull75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 07:08 AM   #20
irnmadn88
2005 LJ Wrangler 

If I weren't married, I wouldn't have a hard top.

I had an 88 YJ (and now a 05 LJ Rubicon) with all sorts of top/door combinations. Storing all that stuff is a PITA. The 88 did not have a backseat so I ran the soft top with the Windjammer on the inside just before winter and later with the hard top. The Windjammer more or less cuts the cab in half so the heater only has to keep the front warm. However, this also fogged up the rear windows. I ran the hard top essentially for three months out of the year. It really sucked when the odd warm day would come along in January/February and I could only run doorless.

Upgrading the blower motor in a YJ is a much better option IMHO.
irnmadn88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 07:20 AM   #21
Lemoore-on
1992 YJ Wrangler 

If I lived in snow country I would want a hardtop, but here in Cali it would only be on 2 or 3 months out of the year. Then I would have to store it the rest of the year. I run a safari/wind jammer/full doors in all but the rainyist of days, then it goes in the garage and gets upgrades & mods!

92YJ with some stuff done to it.
Lemoore-on is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 07:25 AM   #22
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkull75 View Post
Your "hard top bikini/safari" top sounds cool. It would be awesome if someone made a hard top that the sides and back could be removed, leaving just the top as a safari top. 👍
There is a company that makes a 2 piece hard top as you described

And why is storing the hardtop such a big deal? I throw mine behind my garage on a pallet and forget about it
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 07:45 AM   #23
Lemoore-on
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandboost98 View Post
There is a company that makes a 2 piece hard top as you described

And why is storing the hardtop such a big deal? I throw mine behind my garage on a pallet and forget about it
Not everybody has that kinda room.

92YJ with some stuff done to it.
Lemoore-on is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #24
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

I have done plenty of snow wheeling and have never been cold in a soft top.

If I could find a hard top AND doors for $100, I might consider geting it just to have it. $101, no way.

We just had our 3rd frost of the season, I may have to put the soft top on this week.
Unread 11-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #25
rogerv

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I've had my jeep for almost 3 years now- not once has the hard top and full doors been on it. It just hangs from the ceiling in my man cave along w/ the doors. The last two winters had there moments below zero and I was never cold. Noisy, yes, but not cold.
Spring time the soft top comes off and stays off till fall ( only exception was when I took it to work this past summer ).
rogerv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 09:48 AM   #26
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Come on. The Soft top flaps like a buch of old women talking about their kids after being stretched. The snow piling up on a softtop stretches it and the windows are BS because you cant scrape them to get the snow off or run a rear defrost. The soft uppers are flimsy and draft air and while some people roast themselves with their heat the fiberglass top does insulate way better then the soft top. If you pick up a deal and can store it then get it. If anyone wants to get rid of a set of full doors in good shape cheap, let me know!
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #27
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'm all about the hard top, especially in the winter. I live in chicago, it be cold as hell here haha. Not that the soft top is any warmer than the hard top, but I've insulated my hard top to where it actually retains a bit of heat. Additionally, ever try scraping ice off a soft top window at 6am when it's -10* in January? Yeah, it blows, a lot. And it's a great way to damage those plastic windows, too. Also, my hard top has a rear glass defroster grid and sprayer/wiper, absolutely priceless IMHO. You couldn't pay me to run my Jeep without a hard top from November through March (save for when we go no top/no doors during a blizzard once every year, way too much fun and the looks are priceless).
Unread 11-05-2013, 10:16 AM   #28
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Not to mention you can lock up your Jeep with a hard top.
Unread 11-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #29
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Oh, one more. Lets not forget the melted snow on the soft top too. The ice really is great for the soft top! Ahh the annual topless run. Warthog, when do they do the one in Illinois?
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 10:30 AM   #30
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

if i could only have one, it would be a hardtop. i can lock my jeep and not worry about stuff being cut or stolen in houston or when we go to mexico. plus, my ac (when it works) kicks *** with the hardtop on and you can hold a conversation. the soft top makes a lot of noise and you might as well throw your radio and cb away with it on. once i get new hoses made for my 87, my hardtop will probably not come off again.

storing a soft top is just as much a pain in the *** as storing a hardtop. at least the hardtop only takes up 6x4 worth of reality, a soft top takes up space for each window and all the hard ware and you have to be careful not to scratch the plastic or put it near something warm or too cold.

i don;t know, the hard top is more useful to me but the soft tops are so nice in the warm months.

just get both

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.