JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Is a hardtop worth it? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/hardtop-worth-1759034/)

wrangler_bear 11-04-2013 09:55 PM

Is a hardtop worth it?

I have a soft top now and enjoy keeping it off during the summer time. I want to get a hardtop to enjoy taking it up to the snow when skiing and 4 wheeling in the snow. The softtop would not be able to keep the cold out. What are the pains of changing the tops once a year? Do I have to take off all related metal for the soft top including the windshield channel to put the hardtop on? I have both full and half doors so there's no problem there. Any suggestions?

Chrisnvegas 11-04-2013 10:02 PM

I can roast a turkey in my soft top. (Thanksgiving is on it's way)

Yes, the windshield channel must go. I would imagine all the side channels and other soft top related hardware must go too.

Tom95YJ 11-04-2013 10:04 PM

The hardtop is not much warmer then a softop IMO I like my hardtop since I live in the moutains we get lots of snow and it's nice not having to brush snow off the top every few hours when it snows. I just do it once before I drive. But storing the hardtop is a pain it's always in the way. You have to remove everything that's related to the softop for a hardtop also.

wrangler_bear 11-04-2013 10:35 PM

I found a decent one at a jeep wreak yard. Its about 40 miles from where I live. I am going to carry my pickup truck to get it. Am I taking a chance of it not fitting? All tops that were made during that of time should fit my yj correct?

YJ4LIFE 11-04-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrangler_bear (Post 17443689)
I found a decent one at a jeep wreak yard. Its about 40 miles from where I live. I am going to carry my pickup truck to get it. Am I taking a chance of it not fitting? All tops that were made during that of time should fit my yj correct?

Cj7-yj fit
tj no fit

Overhead 11-04-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrangler_bear (Post 17443689)

cj7 and yj tops fit the same, it might need some tweaking but it's easy peasy.

I sold my hardtop and bought a softtop only to buy another hardtop again because of me being outside so often in crap weather, the hardtop seals a bit better and is a bit quieter but your resluts may vary, I have a different top then when I bought it and it's MUCH quieter and water proof when my old top was not. Some people love em, some hate em to each there own, I plan to move back north again soon so I picked up a top when I found one that wasnt made of gold

Norcal_chris 11-04-2013 10:48 PM

Had a hard top. Sold it. Dont regret it.

Sucks to store. Side windows are too big and look stupid. Break a window and your screwed. Its either on or off.

I was always worried about hitting it on something while I was wheeling and breaking it.

Michaelgoesrawr 11-04-2013 10:54 PM

I just put my top on today. They are heavy, but it works very well IMO. I can drive with the window down because the top keeps the heat in so well.

baktie_91YJ 11-04-2013 10:59 PM

I run a soft top in the summer, spring and fall and have a hard top only for winter. Honestly I would run the soft top all year round, but my parents wanted the hard top for winter. Its not a huge difference, but it is a little quieter. You will have to remove the windshield channel to put it on, as well as the pieces of metal that attach where the roll bar meets the windshield. I do like being able to leave it outside without worrying about snow stretching it, but unless you get one cheap off of craigslist then its not worth it. You will need hard doors as well.

metalmulisha 11-04-2013 11:24 PM

where I am hard tops go for at least $400 in shotty condition if you can find one and you can pick up a soft top for less than $200 all day I traded my soft top straight across for a hard top to a guy that just wheeled his jeep (he didn't want to tear up the hard top) I wheel with it and have slid into a couple trees and she is still in good shape just some minor scratches in my opinion and experience I go with hard top it does get in the way when your storing it but so does all the extra jeep parts

wrangler_bear 11-04-2013 11:26 PM

This is some great advice. Well I have decided to get one. I have seen them going for as much as 1500 down to 400. There is a jeep wreckage place that's about 50 miles from me. They want 1200. I think that's way too much but these guys guarantee all the hardware I will need . I put an ad on Craigslist looking for a top

Tom95YJ 11-04-2013 11:29 PM

I sold my hardtop off my 95 for 850, it was in great condition. That was in Texas in the middle of July. But I also ran a safari/windjammer/duster year round.

jasonjones21 11-05-2013 12:28 AM

I love my hard top it's easy to put on and it is way quieter and it seems to drive smother because there is a better center gravity compared to the soft top that is practically no weight

SunDevilJeeper 11-05-2013 12:50 AM

I gave my hardtop to my boss at the time because A) People kept low balling me on it, think like $150-250 offers, it was rhinolined with tinted glass and perfect condition. And B) I lived in an apartment at the time and had nowhere to store it.

I have no regrets, I'll take a soft top over the hardtop in a heartbeat. I bought one off a guy on craigslist that was brand new condition, only been used once. I preferred it over the hardtop, then I had to give that away to a mechanic that was helping me fix my Jeep, who ALSO had a YJ, and I didn't have enough money to pay him.

Coincidentally it was the guy I gave my hardtop too that wasn't paying me enough to fix my Jeep and pay the mechanic who took my soft top.

12GageTaylor 11-05-2013 12:55 AM

I have a 95 Yj and my hardtop is a quick set of bolts and washers. U definitely need 2 people to get it off but other then that, its great. I take mine off during summer, if it rains i always have a tarp n bungee cords to prevent as much possible rusting. Bolts above the windshield and on the sides above the wheel wells.

The time now is 06:41 PM.