Hardtop wiring YJ Wrangler Defrost Wiper - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hardtop wiring YJ Wrangler Defrost Wiper

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-27-2010, 10:19 PM   #1
Damnut
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Hardtop wiring YJ Wrangler Defrost Wiper

Just figure I'd share my latest project. I bought a hardtop for my 1990 Wrangler Sahara last year and figure why not hook it up before this winter really hits.

so I did a lot of digging and found a lot of good information to get me going. I bought a hardtop tub wiring harness WITH the red defrost timer relay, defrost/wiper switches and dual pump washer fluid reservior on Egay, all for ~100 bucks. I tore into the dash looking for the plugs for the defrost and wiper switches but there wasn't any. There was a spot marked on the fuse panel for the rear wiper but it was an empty socket, no terminals. Oddly enough there was a plug for the second wash pump. I just left the ground, cut the positive and ran a wire from there to the wiper switch. I basically had to wire the whole thing myself, which sucked ***, mostly to figure out switch and wire configurations. I thought it was weird that my wiring under my dash was different then most I seen. I thought I read somewhere that the Pre-91 YJ's had different wiring, dunno maybe they don't and mine's just whacked.

DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK. I'M JUST SHOWING WHAT I DID, YOUR RESULTS MAY VARY. I took my time, did my research and put it all on paper before I tackled the job.......... worked first time I tried it. Your results may vary.

I have pictures and diagrams that I made. I'm still new and haven't posted much so I can't post any attachments. If I can email them to someone to post for my, that would be great.

My HT (hardtop) plug has 7 pins on it and my HT has defrost, wiper/wash and dome light. I took the wiring harness I bought and took all the black plastic covers off to see the wiring. At the end that plugs into the HT, I cut the solid black wire (Pin 6) before it goes into the rubber grommet for the rear lights. (I think that's what it goes to.) I had ~8" of black wire hanging out of pin 6 to work with.(<---I'll get back to this) I cut all the wires from the GREY PLUG with foam around it and the BLACK PLUG with foam around it. DO NOT CUT THE WIRES FROM THE RED RELAY OR THE HT PLUG.

I forget what order I cut things in but I have pictures of what I didn't need in the harness. Basically I was left with 6 long and 1 short wire coming out of the HT plug, one of them attached to the RED Defrost Timer Relay. (Black w/white stripe) The Yellow wire I cut at the split so I had 1 single Yellow wire. (have pic)

Here is a description of the wires on the HT harness and where they go.

PIN 1: BLACK WIRE WITH WHITE STRIPE
C15 on wiring diagrams. Goes from Pin 1 on the HT harness to Pin 1 on the Red Defrost Timer relay. Provides positive (switched on) voltage to the rear Defroster.

PIN 2: YELLOW WIRE
M2 on wiring diagrams. Connects to one of the door pin switches. Provides ground for the HT Dome light.

PIN 3: PINK WIRE
M1 on wiring diagrams. I connected mine to the pink wire under the dash. It was in-between the E-brake release & steering column. Provides +12V for the HT dome light.

PIN 4: BROWN WIRE WITH PINK STRIPE
V23 on wiring diagrams. Connect this to a +12V power source with a 20A Fuse. This is used to "park" the wiper. Inside the HT it also provides a +12V out on Pin 7 (Brown w/yellow stripe) on the HT Plug

PIN 5: BROWN WIRE WITH LIGHT GREEN STRIPE
V13 on wiring diagrams. Connects to Pin B on Wiper/Wash switch. Provides +12V for the wiper motor

PIN 6: BLACK WIRE
Z1 on wiring diagrams. I forget how I got it done but basically here's what I did. There's a bunch of branch-offs on that Black wire so I ended up with this configuration of wires going to:
A) Pin 2 on RED Defrost Timer relay
B) Pin C on Defrost Switch
C) Grounded out on tub.

PIN 7: BROWN WIRE WITH YELLOW LINE
V22 on wiring diagrams. Goes to Pin P on Wiper/Wash Switch. Provides +12V to the Wiper/Wash Switch via Pin 4.

Here is a description of the RED Defrost Timer Relay wires and where they go.

PIN 1: BLACK WIRE WITH WHITE STRIPE
This pin has 2 wires coming out of it. One wire comes FROM the 7 pin on the HT harness. The other wire goes TO Pin B on the Defrost Switch on dash. Provides +12 V to the Defrost circuit. Power comes on once the Defrost switch is turned on.

PIN 2: BLACK WIRE
This is the black wire that comes from the 7 pin on the HT harness, it goes to the Defrost switch and is grounded out on the body.

PIN 3: BROWN WIRE
Connect this to a +12V power source with a 25A Fuse. Provides main power to circuit.

PIN 4: DARK BLUE WIRE WITH WHITE STRIPE
Connect this to a +12V power source with a 15A Fuse. Provides power to relay.

PIN 5: LIGHT BLUE WIRE WITH YELLOW STRIPE
Goes to Pin D on Defrost switch on dash. Send +12V "signal" to relay to turn on.

You should have 3 wires going to the WIPER/WASH Switch.
1) Brn w/yl on Pin P from Pin 7 on HT harness. Upper left pin.
2) Wire from positive side of rear washer pump on Pin A. Upper right pin.
3) Brn w/gl on Pin B from Pin 5 on HT harness. Lower left pin.
All of these pins are looking at them from the back. I thought that I would have had to use the BLACK (ground) wire on the lower right pin but it worked without it. You may need to connect a ground to yours.

You should have 4 wires going to the DEFROST Switch.
1) Connect Pin A to a +12V power source. I used a 10A fuse. Lowest pin.
2) Connect Pin B to the Black with White stripe wire (C15) from Pin 1 on the RED Defrost Timer Relay. Upper right pin.
3) Connect Pin C to the Black Ground wire. Upper left pin.
4) Connect Pin D to the Light Blue with Yellow stripe from Pin 5 on the RED Defrost Timer Relay. Middle pin.

I don't know if I forgot anything but it all worked great. The only thing I noticed that might be off is I have to push down for the defrost to work and down again to shut it off. It may work like that but I thought it would be up to turn on and down to turn off.

If you have any questions let me know. And if someone would post some simple diagrams that I made up that would be great. Any comments or suggestions are welcomed.

Cheers,
Jim

Damnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 10:24 PM   #2
NineohsevenYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Great write-up! I'm bookmarking this for when I'm ready to tackle this project. If you post a link to the pics I'm sure someone will click free for you. Thanks!
Unread 11-28-2010, 10:48 AM   #3
Damnut
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks man!!

Here are the pics and diagrams I came up with.

Hardtop Harness Pin Layout

Defrost Timer Relay Pin Layout

Defrost & Wiper Switch Pin Layout

Picture of Red Defrost Timer Relay Pins/Wires

Picture of colored wires from HT Harness

***The solid BLACK wire is NOT pictured***

Picture of front of Defrost/Wiper Switches

Picture of back of Defrost/Wiper Switches

I think that's the important stuff. Let me know if something's wrong or if anyone needs pictures/explanations of anything.

Cheers,
Jim
Unread 11-28-2010, 01:47 PM   #4
Damnut
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks! I posted some pics but I guess I need to wait for a mod to ok them first. Hopefully they should be up soon.
Unread 11-29-2010, 11:07 AM   #5
vagearhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Great Post, I just picked up a hardtop and harness and switches from a '93. This is exactly what I need to wire it into my '88 Thanks!!!
vagearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 04:53 PM   #6
94yjsahara
1994 YJ Wrangler 

sticky this!
94yjsahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 04:55 PM   #7
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

wiring diagram link for yj

Jeep Wrangler YJ Wiring Diagram
Unread 11-29-2010, 06:02 PM   #8
Damnut
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The info is out there but, in my opinion, it isn't broken down as simply as I have it in this thread. There is some wrong information out there as well. I spent a few hours gathering info and writing it all down for me, I just figured why not share it on here. God knows I've received some great information from this site.

There a good write up here: 1995 Jeep YJ Hardtop Wiring but, like I mentioned, my wiring is different for some reason and I had to basically wire it all up myself. If someone had written it like this for me it would have saved me a bunch of time. Enjoy!
Unread 10-23-2011, 12:53 PM   #9
Sasheise
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Hard Top

Followed the posted instructions with one exception - I hooked the ground up to my wiper switch - figured since I was there I might as well do it all. That was a mistaqke that cost me hours of work, several fuses and fried wiring. Turns out that either my switch was bad, or the ground SHOULD NOT be connected to the wiper switch. When the ground was connected, every time I hit the switch the fuse blew. Then I tried to hot wire the fuse (huge mistake) and ended up replacing several wires coming out of the relay when they melted. Excellent post - Thank you - everything is up and running. The only problem I have now is finding a replacement defrost switch since the bulb is burned out in mine and I will forget to shut it off.
Sasheise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 06:33 AM   #10
YjTimmy15
1992 YJ Wrangler 

mine is a 92. my defrost switch only has 3 prongs on the back and the socket for the switch only has 3 wires connected to it. how do I wire it all together with the relay?
YjTimmy15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.