Hardtop and Tailgate Interchangeability - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hardtop and Tailgate Interchangeability

CurrieSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 11-24-2007, 10:56 AM   #1
Ehlien

Hardtop and Tailgate Interchangeability

I have a 93 YJ
Rummor has it a CJ7 hardtop will fit a YJ is this correct?

Also, what year YJ tailgates will fit a 93? Are they all basically interchangable or what are the differences?

Thanks again

Ehlien is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2007, 11:37 AM   #2
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Yes a CJ-7 HT will fit.

As far as I know, all YJ tailgates are the same.

Just an FYI: The search feature is a great tool. Found several threads that will answer your questions just by searching for a second.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2007, 12:02 PM   #3
intenseblu
1987 YJ Wrangler 

the non supporter search is much worse ... i have a hard time finding relevant information when i need to.
intenseblu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2007, 12:09 PM   #4
blue1989yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a good reason to become a supporter. All of the money goes to upgrade and support the site anyway.
Unread 11-24-2007, 12:30 PM   #5
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue1989yj
Sounds like a good reason to become a supporter. All of the money goes to upgrade and support the site anyway.
Agreed it's cheap for the valuable info you gain from this site.

People can also use google and typically find their answers quickly and easily.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2007, 12:45 PM   #6
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by intenseblu
the non supporter search is much worse ... i have a hard time finding relevant information when i need to.

Actually, if you search via google it is known to be a much better search than even the supporters search. BUT, yes, supporters do have a bit better search than you do now.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2007, 03:36 PM   #7
intenseblu
1987 YJ Wrangler 

what i find lacking with the google search is the ability to narrow it down to a specific board and a few other options ... i would become a supporter but it just seems odd to me as a 8 year member of neons.org and 3 year member of crossfireforum.org and neither is a pay for membership site with site search capability. something is not being done correctly here that the cost cannot be contained by the advertisers or perhaps its being run as a for profit site.

either way ... i looked on 4wd.com for a CJ tail gate and they hve one thats says JEEP and one that says WILLYS ... i intend to buy the JEEP one eventually and i read a how to on another site that outlines it ... basically any CJ gate will do and need the hinges, cables, and rubber seal. I have a CJ top currently from the previous owner but the rear gate on it is fubar as it is metal and rotted inside so i found some fiberglass replacements on quadratec and 4wd along with a new T handle for it since i do not have the key for this one. Altogether it looks like i will spend about $500 to make it better than new but i know there are members that have done the tail gate alone for under $150 fully finished and painted.
Unread 11-24-2007, 03:43 PM   #8
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by intenseblu
what i find lacking with the google search is the ability to narrow it down to a specific board and a few other options ... i would become a supporter but it just seems odd to me as a 8 year member of neons.org and 3 year member of crossfireforum.org and neither is a pay for membership site with site search capability. something is not being done correctly here that the cost cannot be contained by the advertisers or perhaps its being run as a for profit site.
those sites have about 17,000 and 12,000 members registered respectively. neither one has had over 500 members online at once. JF has 126,000 members and has had over 3000 users on at a time. it all boils down to needing more bandwidth and better servers.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2007, 03:44 PM   #9
Ehlien

Thanks for the feedback
Unread 11-24-2007, 06:12 PM   #10
RoverJeep90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, the CJ-7 hardtop will fit with your YJ. You will have to make some modifications--by the windshield and by the tailgate--if you want to make it perfectly functional. As for the YJ tailgates, I believe they are all the same. I ran a CJ hardtop on my YJ, so if you have any questions about the setup, I'd be glad to help you out.
Sony CDX-GT300 | Kicker ZX500.1 | Kicker ZX350.4 | Kicker ZX200.2 | Kicker L5 Solobaric Sub | Kicker 6x9's | Apline 6.5's | Boston 4x6's
Truckstop CB Antenna | Class 3 Hitch
RoverJeep90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2007, 06:57 PM   #11
Jesse-James
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Spare tire carrier needs to be taken off in order to open the hatch before the tailgate and new holes had to be drilled for the front "header" Everything else was cake.

And I like cake.

If you have any more ?'s, feel free.
Unread 11-24-2007, 10:24 PM   #12
intenseblu
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinal02
those sites have about 17,000 and 12,000 members registered respectively. neither one has had over 500 members online at once. JF has 126,000 members and has had over 3000 users on at a time. it all boils down to needing more bandwidth and better servers.
those numbers say it all ... didn't realize the popularity of our little boxes
Unread 11-24-2007, 10:32 PM   #13
intenseblu
1987 YJ Wrangler 

here is the how to i am looking at ... it seems very thorough ...

http://www.savagesun4x4.com/cj_to_tj...e_install.html
Unread 11-25-2007, 09:27 AM   #14
Ehlien

Excellent stuff
Unread 11-25-2007, 10:41 AM   #15
richharr
1993 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...9&postcount=99 heres my yj to cj gate
richharr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.