Hardtop Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hardtop Questions

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRoad Race Motorsports Stage 2 Power Pack

Unread 09-04-2011, 05:13 PM   #1
woodsracer
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hardtop Questions

Just bought a hard top for my 93 yj. My question is how do you other guys secure the front of it to the windshield frame? It has the holes in the frame where there was one before but I don't know what to use. I looked at another one and it was riveted in, but I don't think that will work for this.

Also is there any good place to look for the rear window bottom frame piece and glass for the hardtop?

woodsracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 09:53 AM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hardtop:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/c...el-fix-903719/

As for the glass it is a real commodity. You will need to do some searching. I know the question has come up so you might try to search the forum.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
jmmorgan82

Is your hardtop from a CJ or YJ? Is it factory or aftermarket? These questions might help us find you some glass.
jmmorgan82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 01:03 PM   #4
woodsracer
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I believe it is off a yj and stock. It has the vents on the side. My dad's cj top looks different than mine.
image-2807896048.jpg  
Unread 09-06-2011, 01:46 PM   #5
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Nice looking YJ.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 03:02 PM   #6
jmmorgan82

That's a good looking ride I've seen new glass for around $200-250 on eBay, and good luck on finding that rear bottom piece. Just keep a sharp eye on eBay, Craigslist, and multiple Jeep forums, and you might just luck out.

As for the front, if the holes on your windshield frame don't appear to be too stripped out, just find the correct size self-tapping screws.

If you could get someone to ship it to you from PA, I believe this would work
jmmorgan82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #7
woodsracer
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks! I went up to the jeep dealership and all of the top hardware has been discontinued. So the search continues!
Unread 09-06-2011, 03:44 PM   #8
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Does your top have a rear window defroster and or rear wiper motor? I have a rear glass, clear, with no defroster lines, and has the holes for the rear wiper motor. I also have the bottom piece, but, the outside piece is scratched up pretty bad. The inside piece has some cracks, but, just about every one I've seen had them as well. Here are a couple of pics:

This was on an OEM YJ top that I found on the highway. I got the glass, installed everything, and found out that the glass around the passenger side hinge was busted up more then I thought. I ended up scrapping the top, using part of it for my hard bikini top, and the tinted glass for my own hard top. I have the glass, the wiper motor, and the inside and outside bottom pieces for the glass left.

Jerry
Unread 09-06-2011, 05:00 PM   #9
woodsracer
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepsOLot
Does your top have a rear window defroster and or rear wiper motor? I have a rear glass, clear, with no defroster lines, and has the holes for the rear wiper motor. I also have the bottom piece, but, the outside piece is scratched up pretty bad. The inside piece has some cracks, but, just about every one I've seen had them as well. Here are a couple of pics:

This was on an OEM YJ top that I found on the highway. I got the glass, installed everything, and found out that the glass around the passenger side hinge was busted up more then I thought. I ended up scrapping the top, using part of it for my hard bikini top, and the tinted glass for my own hard top. I have the glass, the wiper motor, and the inside and outside bottom pieces for the glass left.

Jerry
Sent you a PM
Unread 09-06-2011, 05:14 PM   #10
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

it dont bolt along the windsheild, the holes are for a softtop. or bikini... the top should slide into the grove in the hardtop, and seal.... 6 or 8 bolts in the rear hold it on 3 or 4 on each side.

as for the rear window, 1/4 plexi glass 25 bucks cut to fit at you local glass shop...... and it wont break again. altho it will scratch, but whatever, its not 3 bills for a new glass

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 05:18 PM   #11
woodsracer
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah I've researched replacing it with plexiglas. I bought it without the glass or the bottom frame. The reason I want to put it back to stock is so I can lock everything when I go hunting.
Unread 09-06-2011, 05:38 PM   #12
srdart67
2002 WJ 

I use sheetmetal screws in the front holes just so I get a better seal. If I dont I get rained on.
Unread 09-06-2011, 05:43 PM   #13
Thumper01
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I have an '87 yj and the front of my hard top has self tapping screws in it. That's how it was when i got it.
Thumper01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 06:18 PM   #14
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

hmmm must relook, mine has nothing, maybe someone welded them over, I have not put any in for years, it has been fine. I only run it in winter tho so.....

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 07:59 PM   #15
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

^^^ Most YJ's that have a hardtop from the factory have sheet metal screws holding the front piece of the hardtop to the top vertical piece on the windshield frame. In my case, I used the Kwik Kit clamps to hold the hardtop to the windshield frame. I love it, just unclamp, unbolt the 8 tub bolts, and you're golden! No more fighting with stripped screws, There is another way, someone makes a metal strip that is double sided taped to the front edge of that vertical piece on the WS frame. The strip has machine screw holes that are threaded, which makes it a positive anchor, and won't strip (well, you could, but you would REALLY have to try hard to do that). Here are a couple of links to what I'm talking about.

Lange Kwik Kit

Hardtop Reinforcement Kit

Jerry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.