hardtop insulation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > hardtop insulation

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-03-2010, 10:00 PM   #1
CreepyCrawler95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

hardtop insulation

anybody know of any good method of it?

CreepyCrawler95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 10:35 PM   #2
cj7guy
2007 JK Wrangler 

What is your primary concern, sound or heat?

I've seen people use spray-on bedliner on the inside of the hardtops. I suppose you could hit the inside and the outside for increased insulation.
Unread 01-03-2010, 10:50 PM   #3
CreepyCrawler95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

well i am hitting the outside at some time or another. heat sound isnt a big issue
Unread 01-03-2010, 10:54 PM   #4
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepyCrawler95 View Post
well i am hitting the outside at some time or another. heat sound isnt a big issue
Then why do you want to insulate it?
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 11:05 PM   #5
CreepyCrawler95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i meant to say heat mostly haha sound isnt
Unread 01-04-2010, 06:45 AM   #6
Fhajad
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Any real insulation is gonna do both of them.

Dynamat is pretty cool stuff though.
Fhajad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2010, 08:13 AM   #7
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepyCrawler95 View Post
i meant to say heat mostly haha sound isnt
Haha ok.

I know they sell self adhesive sound insulation. It's foil coated so maybe it does heat as well.

I have seen guys make headliners out of 2" thick foam from home depot. I'm pretty sure it's R-15. You can get like R-10 which is much thinner or R-30 which is thicker but R-15 is more common. It's the pink stuff that comes in sheets, not the real spongy type.

After cutting it and securing it, they used spray adhesive to put a layer of all-weather carpeting on top. You can get the carpeting from Walmart very inexpensively, and that way you won't have a pink interior.
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2010, 09:51 AM   #8
chadroc
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwood View Post
Haha ok.

I know they sell self adhesive sound insulation. It's foil coated so maybe it does heat as well.

I have seen guys make headliners out of 2" thick foam from home depot. I'm pretty sure it's R-15. You can get like R-10 which is much thinner or R-30 which is thicker but R-15 is more common. It's the pink stuff that comes in sheets, not the real spongy type.

After cutting it and securing it, they used spray adhesive to put a layer of all-weather carpeting on top. You can get the carpeting from Walmart very inexpensively, and that way you won't have a pink interior.
that's really funny! Maybe they should have put some shag carpet on it. That must be the ugliest interior ever!
chadroc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2010, 09:58 AM   #9
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

What I found while searching, this may help with ideas:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/p...terior-920819/

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.