Hard top suggestions? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hard top suggestions?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-13-2011, 01:16 PM   #16
xlTravislx

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well here's my "jeep parts" craigslist add.

I went a little low on prices I think..?

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/pts/2545153539.html

Unread 08-13-2011, 06:33 PM   #17
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlTravislx View Post
waoh.. was that like once in a life time thing or is that something that i should worry about with a soft top?
It was a Bestop Supertop that I got brand new out of highschool ('03). It ripped off at the beginning of this year so I had it about 8 years. The fabric itself didn't rip, the stitching was dry-rotted and it had a 1.5" section on the front seam where the stitching had came loose. The wind caught it just right and it ripped straight back. I had tried to put some duct tape on it but that didn't help.

I wouldn't be worried about it too much. That softop was great and lasted a while. It was also abused in the woods and went through hot Georgia Summer's and harsh winters.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2011, 10:31 AM   #18
Missouribound
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Just my 2 cents....I have a new soft top...in the box...for about 6 years now......I prefer the bikini for about 8 monts and the hard top for the rest. Soft tops are such a pain to put up and down, the windows get scratched....yada yada yada.....But if you want it.....let me know.
Missouribound is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2011, 11:42 AM   #19
danlee
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I traded my newer soft top & half doors for a pair of full doors and a hard top, straight across. Glad I did, alot less noise.

If you look at my pic's you can see a before & after.

Plan on getting a safari top for summer next year
danlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2011, 12:57 PM   #20
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
If you don't mind the noise of a soft top then I say go for it. Florida should be nice for just leaving the top off entirely, and only putting it on when it gets cold. They do hold heat pretty nicely.
When I had my 87, I put a new Bestop Super Top on it... what a noisy ba$tard that was! When I traded for my '89, it came with a hardtop. It's so quite compared to that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesloudjeep View Post
I've actually caught this women and her younger daughter sitting in my Jeep coming out of the mall. She said she always wanted to sit in one!
Was she at least a hottie soccer mom? If so, no loss there

Quote:
Originally Posted by tydp View Post
I'd trade you my soft top in a hearbeat. To each his own, but I dont care for that noisy son of a *&^%$. If I had a hard top, I'd get a bikini for summer and call it good....
Yep, soft tops are noisy. I have a hardtop on my '89, but sometimes I wish I had a soft top again. Here in TN, the weather can change on a dime and I get tired of taking the hard top off, then on, then off...and that can be in the course of two days. If I didnt care about the interior getting wet, I'd leave it off may-nov, but theres to much rain for all that. Thats my only complaint about the hard top, its heavy.
jhumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2011, 11:41 PM   #21
xlTravislx

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Alright well I sold my hard top.

I think I gave in a little to much and probably could of got a little more.. A fellow jeeper traded me his Black denim besttop soft top with rails, bolts, instruction manual (witch i will need haha) along with $150 cash, A cargo cover (that wont feet my "family style" roll cage), and another factory leather like soft top (no rails).

Ill end up selling the cargo cover for dirt cheep along with the other soft top (no rails).

Im gonna put the soft top on tomorrow and brake it in, see how it runs and holds up.
Unread 08-14-2011, 11:52 PM   #22
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhumphrey View Post
When I had my 87, I put a new Bestop Super Top on it... what a noisy ba$tard that was! When I traded for my '89, it came with a hardtop. It's so quite compared to that...
Even with the top off, it's still a lot quieter. HOWEVER when it's cold out (60*F ish- cold to me), and then you're driving at 45, you really start to appreciate that soft top and care less about the noise. The heater works a LOT better with the top on

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2011, 12:41 AM   #23
NicksYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'll tell you right now if you ever plan on renting a trailor from U-haul or any other major trailer company they will not rent you one with out the hard top. Their reasoning I have no clue
NicksYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 01:31 PM   #24
xlTravislx

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well I finaly got my Soft top. I love the look, It keeps out 99% of the water, now I just have to see how it holds up in the winter & on the trails.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.