Hard top suggestions? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hard top suggestions?

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 08-12-2011, 01:13 PM   #1
xlTravislx

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Hard top suggestions?

I bet a million other people have a post like this. But I need some fresh opinions, help, and advice.

alright, well I have a CJ7 hard top that came with my yj when I got it. after about 4 months it came off and a safari top went on and its been that way for almost all year.

I live in Florida so our winters are not very harsh or long.

Im thinking of selling or trading my hard top and getting a soft top.

What do you guys think? soft top or hard top?

If i were to trade my hard top for a soft top how much cash would be reasonable to receive?

I want a soft top Mostly because I kinda like the look of them. plus ill save a tad bit on gas not lugging around a 160lb hard top. Also ill be able to use the extra cash on mods.

here is a older picture when i had my hard top on.

And here's how my jeep stands now.

Thanks in advanced!

Unread 08-12-2011, 01:24 PM   #2
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you don't mind the noise of a soft top then I say go for it. Florida should be nice for just leaving the top off entirely, and only putting it on when it gets cold. They do hold heat pretty nicely.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I dont see a Warn on your Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2011, 02:09 PM   #4
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I would go soft top, they hold the heat in just as well as the hard top.
But they are easier to remove or fold.
I could sell my hard top for anywhere in the range of 500-800 bucks in its current condition.
A good soft top with hardware and halfdoor skins is about 600 bones.
So in the ideal circumstance, you would have a good 200 for mods or a full tune up or whatever you want.

So I would say sell the lid, get a soft and crawl on.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2011, 02:15 PM   #5
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

And travis a little off topic, could you post a few close ups of the fishing rod holders you have on the back, I have been thinking about doing something like that for a while as I keep breaking my rods (by accident).
Thanks.
Unread 08-12-2011, 02:26 PM   #6
xlTravislx

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
I dont see a Warn on your Jeep.
Correct. The stickers make me less likely to get stuck plus I got them for free.

anyways.. I figured most people would of disagreed with me.

Question: Would a brown soft top look silly on my white/black/ some red jeep?

& yeah ill post pictures of the Rod holders in a bit. ^^^
Unread 08-12-2011, 02:36 PM   #7
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Actually, I don't think it would look that bad, now that I think of it, it would look somthing like this...
And those pics would be great.
untitled.jpg  
Unread 08-12-2011, 03:32 PM   #8
xlTravislx

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sweet edit. Even if it did look a little bit off, or mismatched, The Soft top would only be on 3-4 months of the year.

The rod holder is just PVC with medal clamps and medal bar at the end. I Baught them at wal-mart in the marine dept for $17 ea. I Drilled the clamps threw the Bumper's on the bumper. there's a blue rope on it to tie down the rod so it dosent move around. Right now I only have 1 rod holder, I have another but never got around to putting it on.

Pretty easy to install, just need a pretty hefty drill bit to get threw those bumpers.

Unread 08-12-2011, 03:39 PM   #9
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I don't think the jeep will look bad at all with the spice top on it, I think it looks pretty damn sharp.
And those rod holders are brilliant, done deal, looks like Im hitting up Canadian Tire on the way home.
Unread 08-12-2011, 03:54 PM   #10
Noltz
YJ Wrangler 

Locally, soft tops are worth more than hard tops. A straight trade to me would be in your favor. Now that's here in Ontario, where there's more hard tops around than YJ's to wear them. I'll see 50-100 TJ's for every YJ around here, and there might be 10 CJ-7's around. I got an old hard top for free last week - plan to use for winter storage only.
Noltz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2011, 07:15 PM   #11
mikesloudjeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Man you're losing your mind! I got my Jeep with no top at all and got a soft and hard for it. The hard top has so much more security! You can actually lock the doors. I've actually caught this women and her younger daughter sitting in my Jeep coming out of the mall. She said she always wanted to sit in one! There was nothing of value of course in it but it quickly came to mind that having the soft top on or riding with the doors off was something I needed to do while the Jeep was in sight. You can pick up a bikini top for 70$ 180 for the half back if need be. And you can sit on it for a while you can find one on craigs list for 200 up. Look for "Jeep parts" and you'll come across all kinds of stuff. On a last note think of it like this. It's one thing to go from the cheap top trying to upgrade to the $1000 hard top. It's one thing to go from the good top to the cheap one then regret it and try to find a hard top for under many hundred bucks! And finally! And I really mean this.No bull I did it when I was broke. You can get really inventive with a tarp and duct tape. You can actually make "Camo" or whatever color you want panels if you google it that align up pretty well that slide right out. (16 years ago I did it on a Samuari) because I couldnt afford a top. And there is a lot more info on the "Make at home Wrangler top" online now than ever. Youtube even has stuff at 80mph testing! Finally, I'll give you $250 and a pack of envelopes if you're hard for cash! Then you'll see me selling it. JK! Don't get rid of the hard top. Thats what I got and I hope it helped. Mike
mikesloudjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2011, 08:41 PM   #12
tydp
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I wish I was closer...

I'd trade you my soft top in a hearbeat. To each his own, but I dont care for that noisy son of a *&^%$. If I had a hard top, I'd get a bikini for summer and call it good....
tydp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2011, 09:26 PM   #13
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I see no problem with spice, black, green, whatever.

I got this CJ-7 hardtop for $350 after my soft top ripped off going down the highway in January. It was cold that night.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2011, 09:50 PM   #14
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I sold my YJ's Hardtop for $600 last summer when I lived Just outside of Dallas Tx

I see CJ/YJ hardtops selling for 450-700 all all the time. I say sell it and get a soft top
Unread 08-13-2011, 12:24 PM   #15
xlTravislx

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post

I got this CJ-7 hardtop for $350 after my soft top ripped off going down the highway.
[/IMG]
waoh.. was that like once in a life time thing or is that something that i should worry about with a soft top?

Im not considering security in a soft top. I have full doors that I never use. (witch i also plan on selling lol) and some jean like, black soft doors. I have no doors 80% of the time. The black ones only go on in the cold and when its raining. They dont lock. my center console locks so the most a thief could get is a few bucks in quarters and maby a tow strap.

I dont mind the noise. I have a flo-master and love hearing it when I drive

A lot of people tell me I could instantly trade my hard top for a soft top WITH cash. Ill probably post a Craigslist add later today.

Thanks for advice guys!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.