Hard top or soft top??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hard top or soft top???

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Unread 02-06-2002, 03:40 PM   #1
nuclear ape

Hard top or soft top???

Hey I am going to buy a Jeep yj soon, and I am wondering if I should be buying it with a hard top or soft top??? I know the hard top is a little better for wind noise but is a soft top really that bad....

Thanks

nuclear ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2002, 03:53 PM   #2
Nine5YJ

Hey,

I have both hardtop and softop. The hardtop is better for winter time and unless you have AC, you'll be wanting a softop for the summer. Try to find a Jeep that has both hard and soft tops. If not, it wont be that bad. You can buy a soft top for about $300. Yeah they are loud, not horribly though unless you do alot of highway driving. The only time i have my soft top on is in spring summer and fall, and when its not raining, its not on. Hope that helps...
Unread 02-06-2002, 05:31 PM   #3
Tailgummer

nuke, I live just south of the border from you and you definitely want a hard top. You can buy aftermarket soft tops that fit the full doors for summer use, but our cold wet winters are miserable in a soft top. I always run the hardtop in the winter. Snow runs are much more enjoyable then. In the summer the hardtop goes in the back yard and the soft top or bikini top goes on. Best of both worlds. Same for the full doors. Nice to have roll up windows in the winter and the door come off in a few seconds.
WWW.4x4xnorthwest.com
Tailgummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2002, 07:04 PM   #4
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The other thing to consider is security. If I didn't have a garage to keep my Jeep in all night, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night. I've had a few ragtops in the past and it's pretty much a waste of time to lock your doors. They'll just cut the top.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2002, 08:19 PM   #5
grantnps

I have only a soft top, and I don't think its too bad...BUT I live in Oklahoma and the winters here are very mild, only a couple of times does it get into the 30's, so its not worth it to me to get a hard top, but since it gets so cold there, I would suggest buying a Jeep with a hard top, aftermarket are too expensive, nearly $1600.

Thats my 2 cents.
Grant
Unread 02-06-2002, 08:28 PM   #6
Bob K

I live in Massachusetts and have driven my Jeep for five years with a soft top. After all...we are Jeep owners, not SUV folks.
31" BFG A/T's
K&N Filter
Custom Rock Guards
Turbo Muffler
Rear Track Bar in the shed
Other Tricks I won't tell to just anybody!

'99 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8
Towing Package
K&N FIPK
ProComp MX6 shocks
Borla Exhaust
Tow Hooks
Alpine CD with Infinity+iPod connect
Just getting started!

If you're not living on the edge...
you're taking up too much space.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2002, 10:38 PM   #7
GothicJeep

I drive my soft top all year long, in Cleveland where the winters can get sub-zero. it's really not that bad once you get used to the flapping on the freeway. Much cheaper and really not that big a deal. Just be careful on really cold days at the McDonald's drive thru or ATM - I've broken three windows in sub 30 degree weather because they get brittle in the cold. Besides, with global warming and all, it's a lot easier to unzip the windows when you get a nice, warm early spring day..

Goth...

'Blue Zombie' (My 2002 TJ SE)
30x9.5 Hi-Tec Muds, Olympic Dave's Rack, and a BUTTLOAD of tow hooks...

My blog! Dr. Zombie's Midnight Theater or Terror
GothicJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2002, 12:30 AM   #8
nuclear ape

Thanks guys I have found a Jeep I think that a co-worker is sellign with 3 tops the hard top, the soft top and a bikini top. Also all the diff doors to go with the tops.....

Thanks for all the help...
nuclear ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2002, 12:32 AM   #9
-D-

I don't mind my soft-top that much but then california weather is pretty mild compared to the north-west. In the summer the top is off completely, I kind of like the convertable feel. One thing about the soft top is that it's fine and very tolerably noisy when the windows are zipped up but if you unzip the windows the top starts to flap some. I'm in the market for a HT for the winter myself by the way. I guess my advice is to not let it stop you from buying a jeep but decide what you want and plan to take care of what you're missing afterwards. One great thing about a jeep is you can always do upgrades for missing features, not true for just about any other car.
-D- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2002, 08:10 AM   #10
QueenYJ

I have multiple tops but I do use a targa style hardtop in the winter. I would recommend that you go with a hardtop in the winter especially since you are in canada, but if not here is something to think about. The zippers and flapping windows drove me absolutely bat s*** crazy so in order to help aleviate that problem the soft top window sliders are pretty nice. You can pick them up on ebay or Jeepbay for a decent price too. Well worth it...just my .02.
Unread 02-07-2002, 10:51 AM   #11
wingnut

I think it just depends on the condition and quality of the soft-top. I have a factory hard-top and a new Bestop Sunrider soft-top. With hard doors the soft-top is just as quiet (and warm) as the hard-top.

I think most of the bad experiences with soft-tops come from 10 year old OEM pieces of crap or possibly aftermarket ones from Steel Horse.
Unread 02-07-2002, 03:45 PM   #12
love24wheel

Quote:
Originally posted by wingnut:
I think it just depends on the condition and quality of the soft-top. I have a factory hard-top and a new Bestop Sunrider soft-top. With hard doors the soft-top is just as quiet (and warm) as the hard-top.

I think most of the bad experiences with soft-tops come from 10 year old OEM pieces of crap or possibly aftermarket ones from Steel Horse.
It has a lot to do with condition of the top... When I first got my bestop supertop, and sold my hard top (which, by the way was the best move I ever made) the soft top was really quiet.. But now that its been through a couple winters, and snow has caused the top to stretch and sag, its flappy and noisy as heck!
Scott
[url=http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo=1495622&page=info]Be your own boss- Sell [color=red]AMS[/color][color=blue]OIL[/color] Products![/url]
[url=http://www.heiseroil.com]Visit My [color=red]AMS[/color][color=blue]OIL[/color] Dealer Website![/url]
Black Jeep Member #22
love24wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2002, 06:41 PM   #13
BigD

I think you should go with the hard top. For the price of a rag top, you could buy a nice hoist to lift it off in the summer and put on a bikini top. I take mine off in minutes
BigD is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.