Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Hard top soft top

529 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  bruinjeeper 
#1 ·
This is my first Jeep and I quickly figured out I had no room for storage in my Jeep. Not really thinking it through I bought a roof rack for it and bolted it through the fiberglass top. I was OK with leaving the top on in the summer and I figured it would help keep the RENO cockroaches "tweekers" from stealing ***** from my rig. Well after my first trip to Pyramid lake with just a ladder strapped to it I realized why everyone doesn't put racks on a fiber glass roof.:brickwall Most of the trip I was worried that the washers I put weren't big enough and that the rack was going to be yanked off the roof from the wind. so...... now I'm abandoning that plan and was looking into soft tops. Are there soft tops that are easy on and off or that the sides roll up and can be dropped down? Will I need to add a bunch of fasteners around the jeep or does it already have them? I haven't pulled the top on it yet I'm sure its a dumb question. Any help on the best brands and install tips would be great. :cheers2:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
You need a complete soft top with hardware. That should include what they call the "skin" which you will replace every 10 years or so, the windows which you will replace every time you tear one, and all the hardware to attach it. You either need to match your full doors (if they still make tops that do that) or you need to get half doors. BesTop is pretty much the standard. A lot of people like Rampage as well. Keep in mind that you may not be able to swap between the replacement skins. So if you get something weird, they may not make a replacement for you in the future.
https://www.quadratec.com/products/11009_20XX_PG.htm

Here is one that fits full metal doors: https://www.quadratec.com/products/11009_1235_07.htm

If you have the "family bar" (I think 92+) you can get what they call a "frameless soft top". this will install over the roll bars. It looks a little bit frumpy, but if you are cool with how it looks, then it works really well. This might be a good option for you, since you already have hard doors: https://www.quadratec.com/products/11119_1315_07.htm?gclid=CILnjLyki9QCFQctaQodCH8Obg

Here is another "frameless soft top" that is Made in USA! I think BruinJeeper might have this one. Lots of people like this brand, but I wouldn't guarantee the company will still exist in 15 years, so keep in mind that you will buy this now, and it will be a crap shoot if you can get a replacement window a decade from now. It works with the doors you already have! : http://www.softopper.com/jeep-wrangler-yj-3894

I also have a roof rack, I put my skis up there in the winter with the gigantic old ski rack. I used really big washers, maybe two inches in diameter and rubber washers between the fiberglass and metal washer. I think I have 10 bolts distributed across the top of the top. In the comments to my post, someone added that they used strips of aluminum to distribute the load even better across the fiberglass. Keep in mind, that out in colorado, you see roof racks on fiberglass tops on almost every jeep. That made me not worry so much:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/cherokee-roof-rack-install-guide-3620234/

another option is something like the gobi safari rack if you really have a lot of moola to burn. It bolts to the tub/frame instead of the top. It can carry much more weight. Not sure if it clears the hard top, but I'm sure they would be happy to tel lyou.

#3 ·
another option is something like the gobi safari rack if you really have a lot of moola to burn. It bolts to the tub/frame instead of the top. It can carry much more weight. Not sure if it clears the hard top, but I'm sure they would be happy to tel lyou.
I looked at the safari racks and your right freaking expensive. I also think it would be the first thing ripped of on the Rubicon. Thanks for all the info! :cheers2:

#4 ·
I don't think you can do better than Bestop. Nothing else lasts as well.

It can be confusing to figure out exactly what you want. Fortunately we have a Bestop rep right here on the site. Check out their forum page. PM Cassie for help.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f873/

#7 ·
I actually have the rampage frameless and love it. Zero issues.

With the soft topper, i hae only see two instances where it doesnt look all 'frumpy' like a standard softop without a frame/bow.

Either will be fine. I just see so many softoppers that for one reason or another don't quite tighten. My rampage is tight... again. I prefer the framed top... but mine is pretty simple to use and gets less harsh winds deflecting off the bows. Still prefer the look of a bestop framed soft top. But for the special that was going on, i couldnt pass up the rampage.

Windows come out and stow away in a secret sleeve in the top itself so i dont worry about it scratching up the windows in the back cargo area and im in safari mode in 3 minutes. Comes with the door surrounds as well. Downside: can only be used with half doors and squared uppers. The softopper upside: can be used witj full doors or rounded uppers.
EDIT: rampage kit does include soft squared zipper style uppers. I sold these to offset the cost of slider uppers by bestop

Attachments

#8 ·
I actually have the rampage frameless and love it. Zero issues.

With the soft topper, i hae only see two instances where it doesnt look all 'frumpy' like a standard softop without a frame/bow.

Either will be fine. I just see so many softoppers that for one reason or another don't quite tighten. My rampage is tight... again. I prefer the framed top... but mine is pretty simple to use and gets less harsh winds deflecting off the bows. Still prefer the look of a bestop framed soft top. But for the special that was going on, i couldnt pass up the rampage.

Windows come out and stow away in a secret sleeve in the top itself so i dont worry about it scratching up the windows in the back cargo area and im in safari mode in 3 minutes. Comes with the door surrounds as well. Downside: can only be used with half doors and squared uppers. The softopper upside: can be used witj full doors or rounded uppers.
I don't have half doors but after looking on ebay I could probably pick up a set for under 500$ that would make the old lady happy she wont ride in the jeep when I pull the doors. I like the idea of being able to go full safari in 3 min. If I have a soft top I want it to be easy on and off. Does any of the new soft top hardware conflict with the hard top if I decide to run the hard top in the winter

#9 ·
My experience with the soft top is that you need to plan for at least 20 minutes of frustration to put the top up or down. If it is cold out, it is even tougher to stretch the fabric over the frame...

I bet you can find half doors for cheaper than $500 on the craigslist.

For example, if you have a pulley system to lift the hard top on/off, it is about the same amount of time as putting the soft top up/down. The only advantage of soft top is that you take it with you wherever you go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.